TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Posting from my PSP

robbalvey

So I've just downloaded the 2.0 update for my PSP and let me just say how impressed I am with the browser feature! I can see it now...a Starbucks full of people on their PSPs!

--Robb "Elissa is playing Katamari 2 as I write this!" Alvey

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I have a US PSP with the Japanese 2.0.

And yeah, the stand up Taiko machines are pretty cool, but the Japanese PS2 versions are really awesome! And I have to say that the PSP version of it is pretty damn cool too.

--Robb "It's the US version that sucks." Alvey

^ I have a US PSP with the Japanese 2.0.

And yeah, the stand up Taiko machines are pretty cool, but the Japanese PS2 versions are really awesome! And I have to say that the PSP version of it is pretty damn cool too.

--Robb "It's the US version that sucks." Alvey

The US version of Taiko is different? What are the differences?

^ The main difference is that during the two player mode each player beats to a different set of notes.

While I'm sure this is supposed to sound like the two players are creating a rhythm, really it just sounds like noise.

With the Japanese version 90% of the time both players beat to the same set of notes and it's VERY easy to tell when someone screws up because you sound 'off'. Only during select times do the songs get rhythmic and each player beats to different notes. And it sounds good usually because it's not all the time.

The first time I played the US version it really threw me off because I was so used to both of us hitting the same beats and knowing we were doing good when our beats matched up or when the rhythm sounded good.

But with ALL of the beats being different on the US version, most of the time they weren't even matched up to the music, so it just sounded terrible.

The other difference is the music. Sure there is a lot of J-Pop on the Japanese versions, but there are also more classical songs, themes to movies, cartoons, games, etc. The US version seemed to have a LOT of really bad remakes of horrible songs (Tubthumping, Toxic, Love Shack, Lady Marmalade, ugh!!!)

Follow this link and you can see there are a LOT of Japanese versions of this game: Taiko No Tatsujin Japanese Versions

--Robb "Get a mod chip or a swap disc for your PS2 and get these games!!!" Alvey

YES! The easiest way is to get one of these "Swap Disc" systems:

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/slidecard.php

I've never used one because I have a mod chip in mine. But that requires you either:

A. Buying a pre-modded system.

B. Sending your system out to be modden

C. Getting the mod chip and soldering yourself (not reccomended)

Anyone here have the swap system and can comment on it?

--Robb "I hear they work really well!" Alvey

Oh neato.....Do you also have a favorite place where you buy import games?

I know Japanese media can be expensive to buy (I have all the Ghibli DVDs..yes I am a Miyazaki fan), but I want the best Taiko version out there.

Also can you hook up the drums to your PSP? Or is there a mini-version that you use your fingers.

That place there is good for getting mod chips for PS2. As far as games go, I purchase from a little store near me in the "Japan Shopping Area" called Hyper Game.

There are also a number of good online stores:

www.lik-sang.com

www.play-asia.com

www.ncsxshop.com

www.toysnjoys.com

All four of those should have the Taiko No Tatsujin Games. Personally, this one is my favorite which oddly enough it seems that only Toys N Joys seems to carry it:

Taiko no Tatsujin 4: Wai Wai Yonndaime

This one is also very good:

Taiko no Tatsujin 5

--Robb "Hope that helps!" Alvey

Ya i got Taiko American version and when I got it I was so pumped but after I unlock 2 songs (WTF) I just found it stupid and gave my dog the drumsticks for a chew toy so im hoping to get a japanese version

Oh ya to add I got HDloader for my PS2 so all my games are on hardrive and I can go on the net and download games and put them on my harddrive and play good stuff

Ya i got Taiko American version and when I got it I was so pumped but after I unlock 2 songs (WTF) I just found it stupid and gave my dog the drumsticks for a chew toy so im hoping to get a japanese version

If you hated it that much, you won't like the Japanese version either.

While the US version isn't as good as the Japanese versions, it's not 'stupid' at least not in my opinion, and it's still fun to play. But I play the Japanese version about 10 times more than the US one.

And giving your dog the sticks to chew on just made your $60 investment on the game and the drum controller close to worthless.

--Robb