TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The University of Busch?

I have been aggressively been researching Grad School programs recently (now that I have more time to do so- see my signature). I was chatting with someone yesterday about how my present school (Cleveland State University) seems so alive in the early part of Fall Semester and the late part of Spring Semester, but seems completely dead throughout most of the winter. So I decided to see if any of the Florida schools had the appropriate program. Why am I telling all of this on a theme park board?

I found that USF (University of South Florida) does have programs would could be easily adapted to my very rare goals so I spent some time researching the school, the city, and the surrounding area today. I was shocked to find that the campus shares part of its southern border with Busch Gardens Tampa! What a perfect school for a theme park enthusiast. I am wondering; however if it is really as close as it seems. I mean can you hear the screams from the park? Can you see any of the rides running from campus? Now, I'm not saying that any of this information would impact my decision on whether or not to pick this school- I am just curious. That said, I am leary about Portland State Univ. (OR) as there are not any major theme parks anywhere near the city and I am looking at another 4 - 5 years for my Masters and Ph.D.- so I want to live somewhere I would enjoy living.

UofBG.jpg.829c7b540c5556159450385199106417.jpg

I'll minor in B&M Coasters!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the last time I was down there, I stayed in a hotel that was basically ON the school's campus. It is as close as it seems, and I'm sure that Shiekra and Kumba are pretty well visible from a few areas around the campus. If it were me in your shoes choosing between here and Portland State, I would definitely be going here.

It's not one of the highest rated public Universities in Florida, I would stick with better schools, no matter the location.

And I don't think you can hear the rides or anything. In fact you can barely see them.

The best part about USF? I saw Nsync there at the Sun Dome!

It's not one of the highest rated public Universities in Florida, I would stick with better schools, no matter the location.

And I don't think you can hear the rides or anything. In fact you can barely see them.

Do you like Nsync? I used to hear them on the radio in first grade. What ever happened to them?

^^Undergraduate rankings have little to do with grad school. Grad school programs vary from school to school, department to department, and graduate adviser to graduate adviser. A friend of a friend had to quit a postdoc at Harvard because the Nobel-prize-winning professor he was working for was highly abusive. For grad school, you should research what schools have strong programs in your field of study. Also, it's good to meet the department and see if you get along with them because you're going to be their bitch for 5+ years. That's actually the most important thing: Can you see yourself being a slave for these people?

Anyway, BGT being across the street is a poor reason to choose a grad school because the vast majority of your time will not be spent at BGT. BGT has nice coasters and all, but you'd get sick of them pretty fast. And, if you're in a demanding field of study, you'll barely have any time to go there anyway.

The inside of a research lab or college library looks the same in Oregon, Florida, or Ohio.

Do you like Nsync? I used to hear them on the radio in first grade. What ever happened to them?

The 2000's happened to them.

But yeah, I was actually looking at USF to transfer to because I have family near there, but if you're looking at a school near an amusement park, I'd MUCH rather go to UCF.

Anyway, BGT being across the street is a poor reason to choose a grad school because the vast majority of your time will not be spent at BGT. BGT has nice coasters and all, but you'd get sick of them pretty fast. And, if you're in a demanding field of study, you'll barely have any time to go there anyway.

I was about to post the very same thing, don't pick a school based on a theme park. I can tell you that from my experience (though I'm a law student I'm pretty sure this will still apply) you're not goingto be in a situation where you have all that much free time to be running to parks. That isn't to say that there won't be any, but education at this level is so time consuming and important (not to mention expensive) that the very last thing on my mind would what parks are nearby.

^^ UCF doesn't have my major (Urban Studies or Human Geography) which is actually fairly rare. ^I would not pick a school solely based upon its theme park proximity- its just as I was saying, I am going to have to live in the city I go to school in for five years or more so I am looking at many facets of city life- I was just surprised to find a school next to a theme park. I am a non-traditional student so wherever I go for school that is where I would live- I'm way beyond going back home to mom and dad's during summer vacation

Elissa- remember when NSYNC was on The Simpsons?

Please try to keep threads on topic. I know Elissa mentioned it, but it was also as a closing comment to an actual reply to the thread. Your comment could potentially derail the entire conversation. If you are really interested in what happened to Nsync, please start a topic in the random forum.

Thank you!

--Robb

I was about to post the very same thing, don't pick a school based on a theme park. I can tell you that from my experience (though I'm a law student I'm pretty sure this will still apply) you're not goingto be in a situation where you have all that much free time to be running to parks. That isn't to say that there won't be any, but education at this level is so time consuming and important (not to mention expensive) that the very last thing on my mind would what parks are nearby.

Truth. I kinda lucked into being close to a theme park at my old school (I was like 40 minutes from Cedar Point), but I wasn't there long enough to take advantage.

I live in Tampa & also attended USF for 2 years (got a A.A. degree at Hillsborough Community College & finished up at USF)...if you are STAYING on campus, I can safely say you can WALK to Busch Gardens...it'll be a LONG walk, but it IS indeed walking distance.

Others have said not to base your decision based on the proximity of the U to the park...I'm SURE that is NOT what you are doing as your education should of course, come first. The negative talk about USF is because they are ALWAYS in the news locally (duh!)...state cuts, job losses, not accepting new students due to shortage of teachers, blah, blah...last I checked that's happening ALL OVER! I honestly have NO complaints on my education there.

^It's nice to see that USF teaches writing skills.

WTF?!? Is that some kind of RAG on what I wrote? Didn't realize I was getting GRADED on proper grammar & spelling teach!

Proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation are required in TPR's Terms of Service. That being said, I've seen far worse posts here.

Ginzo, please leave the moderating to the moderators. Thank you.

WTF?!? Is that some kind of RAG on what I wrote? Didn't realize I was getting GRADED on proper grammar & spelling teach!

It is common sense that you should clean up your writing when defending your alma mater.

Wow...you must be some special breed of JERK! There's nothing wrong with what I wrote, I simply offered opinion to the OP on the area since I flippin' LIVE here & attended said school. Strike out at the pick-up bar last night?...take it out on someone else pal!

Not for nothing, but I frequent several music, movie & horror sites & I have NEVER seen a group of picky, over-dissecting group of forum members then the ones on TPR...a shame because as a Floridian around several theme parks (I also work at Howl-O-Scream seasonally just for kicks), I like to frequent these boards to see the latest & greatest...stuff like this is a BIG time turnoff...I often wonder why I bother posting at all!

I'm expecting some "don't let the door hit you on the way out" comments...it seems that is the general attitude around these boards. I didn't realize I had to use grad-school thesis paper written verbage to post about flippin' THEME PARKS on the FLY no less!