TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[General] Why do so many virtual parks close?

I've followed a few parks on here and they always seem to end the same way, with foreclosure. Why is that? Is it just because the creator couldn't think of a better way to end the park? Was that the plan from the beginning? Is it some way to create some type of drama/interest? Is it a way to abandon a project? I don't want to sound ungrateful for all the work the designers put into their parks, they are amazing with how detailed some people get. It just got me wondering.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I do not make many parks, much less post them here, I can say that it is really for all those reasons.

Depending on the amount of planning and thought the creator puts into the park, the reason varies. For example, the fantastic Charleston's Gardens recently used financial troubles to create a plot twist in which the park was sold. Hershey Hawaii recently used the closure of the park to do exactly that and end the project. Often times, people who got into the game too fast close their park quickly simply because they cannot keep up.

I think this covers most of it, anyone with more experience want to comment?

I think it's a great plot line for long standing parks to use as an excuse to do a major revamp of their park. On the other hand if you are meaning "close" as in the builder just quits building. Then I would have to say it just comes down to laziness. In all the years of playing RCT I can count on one hand how may parks I didn't finish. Yes real life always comes first but I still get them done eventually. I often wonder about all these park builders who never finish anything if they carry this issue into their real lives. I do hope not.

There have been so many parks made where the builder claims they have gotten better and is stopping the work in his/her current park so they can put to use their new talent, to me that's just being a quitter, I would think if your really that much better at building you should keep the park your working on and update it to your new standards. But no they close the park and move on to just start a new one and then quit that one 2 weeks later.

I can't exactly say how may times I have started and restarted and then restarted again the current park I am working on. Once it got to the point where I was too far along to restart yet again I have been working around any and all the issues that come up but always keeping it going. I never give up on it. I have spent the last few weeks just removing WW/TT items and why you might ask? Someone asked me to do it. This one person really wants to see the park so here I sit for hours redoing what I have already redone countless times.

I hope I was on topic and if not please ignore or remove.

I can't exactly say how may times I have started and restarted and then restarted again the current park I am working on. Once it got to the point where I was too far along to restart yet again I have been working around any and all the issues that come up but always keeping it going. I never give up on it.

You sound like me. I've restarted my Coconut Cove park three times (did it again last night), because I always think of a better way to pull of what I'm going for. I end up taking two steps back, for every one step forward. This time I've really gone in with a plan of attack, and how to build the park in phases. I think the key is to not over extend yourself, and make each project something small and doable. I know I get too overwhelmed when I start looking at the entire project at once (see my EPCOT Recreation), and I slow way down.

As for other parks closing, I do tend to think it's due to laziness as well, or just a loss of interest. We get so enamored with new projects, that we lose focus and want to start on something new.

Perhaps when someone's park starts to "go under" and they want to sell it, it should actually move on to another member???? That might be an interesting way to keep it going.

Since I am still a novice, for me it has been stuck on ideas, ran out of money on one..... Then computer crashed and I lost all but my contest park which I had the download for here.

I am finding that the more I plan the easier it is to continue the park. My first few attempts I didn't have any type of plan... my current project I have planned out specific sections of the park, looked at what rides I wanted in there..etc.

...the more I plan the easier it is to continue the park. My first few attempts I didn't have any type of plan... my current project I have planned out specific sections of the park, looked at what rides I wanted in there..etc.
...taking two steps back, for every one step forward. This time I've really gone in with a plan of attack, and how to build the park in phases. I think the key is to not over extend yourself, and make each project something small and doable..

You are both right, Xizor_Racer it is great to see that someone who is relatively new to the game has already figured it out and mcjaco it does all come down to not over extending yourself.

My Thunder Lakes park is a prime example of planning out specific sections and keeping each project something small and doable. That map was HUGE and every tile of it has something on it from edge to edge. Not very many parks of that size every make to an end. Looking back I never thought I would get it done. There were times when months went by and I never opened it. I just needed some time away to get my creativity back. Yes it was "old school" but it was still very creative and full of great little details. Old school is my favorite way to play RCT and when I am done with this water park I will be going back to it doing some more RCT 1 scenarios into RCT 2 style. Think I might just start a thread about the ones that are done and what I will be working on. I can't be the only person who likes old school parks.

Sometimes I think if some of the newer players would play RCT 1,2 and 3 old school style for a while and get their skills built up be for trying to be the next great thing they wouldn't get so frustrated and overwhelmed.

Perhaps when someones park starts to "go under" and they want to sell it, it should actually move on to another member???? That might be an interesting way to keep it going.

I think that is a great idea, I hope many of the people here at TPR see this. It's a nice way to show off what they have done and even though it's not finished or "up to their currant standards" it would be nice if they know the park is not going to be finished for whatever reason they put up a download of the park so others can have a peek at it and or try to play it out to some kind of end. Same can be said about NL tracks.

Maybe we should start a "parks for sale" thread?

I personally, have only ended one park, purposely. This was my first/only RCT3 park, Six Flags Indiana Adventures...simply because the game lagged like crazy on my old computer. However, my final update showed the destruction of the park by an F5 tornado...although it didn't look realistic, I was still glad to end it in a way that was somewhat original.

All other parks I have started were lost in a computer crash.

The only park I have begun on this new laptop is Adventure City, which, even though I haven't updated in months, is still a live project. However, I usually appreciate when RCT builders come up with some interesting situation to end their parks with. At least it shows some effort, on their part.

I did some custom parks in RCT 1 and 2, and I never seemed to encounter my frustration with buildings and scenery like I have in RCT 3. Maybe I'm just losing focus, but the hardest thing for me seems to be themeing and building design. My frustration with the RCT 3 engine has caused many of my parks to just sit there dead.

Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in collaborating to make a park, I'll gladly design rides and attractions (I'm a pretty good coaster designer in the game) and do a little bit of landscaping/themeing. Maybe the project would last longer if we had more than just one person working on it?

My parks either end because I can't be bothered, I've run out of ideas or carelessly let many viruses into the computer and have to wipe it clean. (That last one only happened once)

I try my hardest to complete a project but if you've got no inspiration then it's rather hard.

^ What does that "I can't be bothered" statement mean? Your not the first RCTer I have seen say that. What's there to be bothered about? It's just a game. Play when you can and don't play when you can't.

As for not having any ideas or inspiration I totally understand that. Sometimes everyone just needs to exit the park or for that matter exit the game and just get away for a while. I get stuck all the time be it building a coaster or a park. I just get to the point that I have to STOP and get away. For weeks or even months. I can't tell you how may times I have built myself into a corner with a coaster or entire park, gave up and left the game just to come back weeks later and have it all fall into place.

^^ Joining forces with someone who like build structures while you take on the task of building the rides sounds like a fun way of doing a park project. If my computer was able to play RCT3 I would be all over that. I hope you find someone to join with you in a park. Maybe hit up the RCT3 help thread and put a call out for someone who would like to join forces with you. Not that I want you to leave TPR, I think it has the best, friendliest, most helpful RCT players anywhere but you could also try some other sites like RCT Lounge - http://www.rctlounge.com/ who have a very active RCT3 community to try and find someone to do a park with you. If you really like doing just rides maybe till you find a partner you can focus on just some great small design parks with one coaster and a minimal amount of theme to show off what you enjoy doing. Either way I hope to see some pictures of your work posted here at TPR in the preview thread or in a topic just for your stuff.

mcjaco, if that link is in bad taste or not allowed please remove it.

My parks have closed, or I should say destroyed by natural...I mean digital disasters (dead hard drives). Others have died due to lack of interest, feedback (which gives motivation to move along with the project), and of course, time to finish it off. The "Parks for Sale" concept reminds me of what the NLDC had, known as the scrap yard...had abandoned projects that one can download and work off of.

A lot of NoLimits sites have this. It's called something like the "dump" thread. You post a screen shot and the download and you're welcome to finish the project or do anything you like with it.

My parks 'close' for different reasons:

- School/Work

- Computer problems (lagging, crashes, etc)

- Lack of intrest in the community, which triggers no intrest for me.

Personally, I feel like its a part of the people posting and replying to parks that makes it go on longer. If no one responds or says anything - whats the point for a creator to keep going on? I did like 5 'years' at a park without one reply, after that, it seems over.

A lot of NoLimits sites have this. It's called something like the "dump" thread. You post a screen shot and the download and you're welcome to finish the project or do anything you like with it.

My parks 'close' for different reasons:

- School/Work

- Computer problems (lagging, crashes, etc)

- Lack of intrest in the community, which triggers no intrest for me.

Personally, I feel like its a part of the people posting and replying to parks that makes it go on longer. If no one responds or says anything - whats the point for a creator to keep going on? I did like 5 'years' at a park without one reply, after that, it seems over.

Exactly what I say...I actually had a nice coaster idea going (Was my Spy vs Spy dueling coaster, looked like RCT's Diamond Heights coaster) and the supporting thread went down the pipes and became full of irrelevant conversations, even after new updates...so, the project was cancelled.

• 2 weeks later...

If Atari had followed the SimCity example, we could destroy our parks using Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Ungodly Fires, Atomic Bombs, and my favorite - alien attacks.

Unfortunately, that's not the case, so all people can do is close the park. Welcome to the real world, I guess.