TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Sounds like Flash Pass will be mobile-phone only, which is kinda disappointing.  Not everyone has unlimited data plans (the park's WiFi is spotty at best) nor the desire to run their battery down during the day (or carry a charger).  Option are always good.

• Like 1

It may not be mobile only but even if it is, their current system is an absolute horror show where lines are frequently over an hour long to skip the line. I welcome absolutely any attempt to fix this hot mess.

Any guesses what happens on El Toro with phones, lockers, and the flash pass?

If hitting a couple web pages on your phone pushes someone over a data limit and results in charges perhaps they shouldn't be getting the flash pass.  I do agree options are probably needed but that excuse is weak. ;) Others are valid, especially on crowded days with shit coverage no matter what. 

26 minutes ago, tndank said:

Any guesses what happens on El Toro with phones, lockers, and the flash pass?

steve-carrell-no.gif.d1f2c4e4f1ed888e746bd1bc642726fe.gif

• Haha 4

I'm very curious about these single rider lines and honestly, I'm pretty sure I hate this idea.

Don't get me wrong, I like single rider lines at Disney and Universal and other competent parks, but by a show of hands... how many people think that they're going to add brand new staircases up to El Toro, Nitro, and Medusa?

Right... so either they're going to run them up through the exit which would be a clusterfuck and would make everything slower or they're going to (I guess) run them through Flash Pass which will also be a clusterfuck.

I feel like all this means is assigned seating, more bad grouping leading to tons of empty rows like during Covid and likely no improvement in capacity. The only good news here is that these lines will operate for approximately 6 minutes per year.

Tl:dr: I love it in theory but don't trust them to do it right. El Toro MAYBE can run it to connect with the ADA ramp, I doubt that the other rides will even make that much of an effort. Even then, they're going to end up assigning seats on that ride.

• Like 1

^ SFOG single rider lines (Goliath & Twisted Cyclone) are *in* the station.

So single riders wait with everyone else in the General queue. . then once int he station, there's a dedicated line (front of train for both) for single riders. (so the front operator can pull folks to fill any open seats)

I honestly think this is really "fair" and I love it. .and use them whenever open - as it does cut down on empty seats on the train, and gets me on a few trains sooner than waiting in any row queue.

so maybe they'll do it that way?

21 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Sounds like Flash Pass will be mobile-phone only, which is kinda disappointing.  Not everyone has unlimited data plans (the park's WiFi is spotty at best) nor the desire to run their battery down during the day (or carry a charger).  Option are always good.

I feel the same way with certain parks that are ditching their physical maps and guides.  Especially when traveling or doing an all day visit, phone battery management is a big consideration.  Having to be on my phone all day long for basic info/tasks is frustrating.  Means I have to carry a battery pack with me, which means I have to also bring a bag because my pockets cant fit every item anymore.

I used the mobile flash pass at Magic Mountain in January of this year and LOVED it! It works by opening in a webpage, because it's a webpage that you can close at any time it doesn't do any background running on your phone and doesn't drain your battery fast. I didn't use any noticeable amount of battery than any other day in a park. There's also no waiting in line to get a flash pass, plus no returning at the end of the day. In my use, it was 100% better than the regular flashpass with no downsides.

• Like 1

That Flash Pass line at Great Adventure is probably the worst I've waited in at any park. I think we waited over an hour on our last visit.

The one benefit I really wish they'd sort out online is the free membership flash pass tier upgrade. Platinum flash pass can be like $150 per person online but in person the tier upgrade can bring it down to like $100ish per person. And usually they'd achieve it by pressing some kind of $20 off button on their computer and I can't tell you how any times at various parks we've gotten a trigger-happy employee who hit that $20 off button a few too many times and saved us an extra $60-80 on top of that.

^That is the only downside to using the phone FP and not waiting in the FP line. SF still hadn't worked out how to apply any of you membership/pass benefits to the FP when you purchase it online, at least they hadn't when I visited SFMM in November. I know Diamond members automatically get like $10 off, and some parks run big discounts at certain times (SFFT in March last year had the Gold FP down to $40 with my membership), but as far as I've been able to figure out, you can only get these by buying in the actual FP office in-person. From there you have the option to either get the Qbot or the phone version. 

I really like the phone version over the Qbot, but if you want to use it without actually visiting the FP office (thus buying it online), then I believe there's no way to apply any discounts. 

It's pretty minor news, but Harry over at GreatAdventureHistory is able to confirm the Liberty Square Gazebo, a longtime park structure, is being removed this offseason with a new seating pavilion next to Johnny Rockets coming in its place. It's held a lot of shows over the years but it's honestly outlived its purpose at this point and removing it is the right call.

2012_08_11_IMG_5008%20copy.jpg

• Like 2

One time back during HITP 2016 I kinda uhhh got stuck at the park and couldn't get an Uber/Lyft to come pick up and take me to the Trenton train station and during my panicked and fruitless attempts with my phone dying that very outlet right there saved me, at least until I wound up begging a friend to come scoop me just before park close. RIP trusty outlet, I'll never forget you.

• Like 5

PSA: If you are one of these dummies planning a trip to this park anytime before Tuesday, June 21 that revolves around riding El Toro, might be a good idea to re-think that.

Posted today:
IMG-4318.jpg.7f187487d90b3a899e1861317c645721.jpg

And even if they miss their apparent target of a "Spring" opening, they are already setting it up where they can just blame it on the state.

(Haven't posted in a few hot minutes here because I've been to busy with work, and because of a Facebook jail sentence, I still have 11 more days until I can post in groups again)

Yeah with Flash Pass going mobile only, not only will it chew up battery life (I remedied that by turning on my phone's battery saver mode) and data use as the park's WiFi is spotty as frick; but what about rides where no phones are allowed (El Toro, The Joker, Kingda Ka)?

10 minutes ago, Jason Maier said:

...because of a Facebook jail sentence, I still have 11 more days until I can post in groups again)

Kinda curious what you did/said to get temporarily banned from Facebook.

38 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

Kinda curious what you did/said to get temporarily banned from Facebook.

Without going into too much detail, I made a post that was political in nature (about the Russian invasion of Ukraine about a prominent media figure) and said post was flagged as inflammatory/threatening. As it was my third such infraction, I had a weeklong posting ban overall from FB as well as a month long ban from posting in groups and my posts would be moved lower in feed.

• 2 weeks later...

Shocked to see it but this is a nice encouraging email. Let's see if it actually runs on Saturday. Supposed to be pretty nice by mid afternoon (mid-50s) so weather shouldn't be an issue.

image.thumb.png.26b1234a9ae45c66aece693999ac9851.png

• Like 1

The Six Flags app says Kingda Ka AND Jersey Devil are temporarily closed. Does anyone know how long is temporary? Is it closed for weeks or days? Hoping to go NEXT Thursday for the first time.

Probably just an app glitch or something. Both operated this past weekend and the website mentions nothing of them being closed. Since the whole park is closed this week, no one here is going to have any more solid info. You could call the park and ask but I doubt they go into detail either.