TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Sorry.  Fingers got ahead of my brain while typing.  Last weekend I was at Great America and they sold out.  This weekend going to Great Adventure and trying to get one before they do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this, I never go in October when it gets super crowded anyway but this is probably for the best and at least saves people the hassle of being turned away. I've never found it to be super crowded in September though but still saves people and the park any hassles... 

Screenshot_20210826-133554_Facebook.jpg.d2fcada779b376c0207ea4b57c17d27b.jpg

On Thursday I visited for the first time in a month and saw that they more than doubled the size of the preferred parking area.  Anyone have any insight if this is permanent or just done an anticipation of Fright Fest?  Doing it for Fright Fest makes sense since Preferred Parking can fillup during Fright Fest.  Implementing it year round only makes it appear to be a money grab, unless the push for memberships is also going to include an increase in "free" or incentived preferred parking. 

So last I heard (BUT this was not from the forums so I'm less inclined to believe people) Jersey Devil, Nitro and something else maybe were all having issues. True? I got a week off so I wanna hit up Great Adventure but if a bunch of rides are running spotty (on top of El Toro being down) my try American Dream instead. 

1 minute ago, JJLehto said:

So last I heard (BUT this was not from the forums so I'm less inclined to believe people) Jersey Devil, Nitro and something else maybe were all having issues. True? I got a week off so I wanna hit up Great Adventure but if a bunch of rides are running spotty (on top of El Toro being down) my try American Dream instead. 

Nitro and all of the other coasters were running yesterday according to the app/queue-times.com.  Jersey Devil and El Toro are still down; JDC has yet to reopen from the RMC-ordered shutdown, and we all know what's going on with El Toro.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jason Maier said:

I take it no further updates on El Toro?

Nope.  It's in the state's hands as far as I'm aware, and we all know how efficient governments are.

I have seen a few instagram posts and in one of them there was a large crane on site behind the lift on the drop side. Have any of you NJ locals been to the park and taken any photos/seen any progress on track replacement work or anything? I'd honestly love to see it if there has been.

Word is a guest was trying to climb onto the roof of the Zumanjaro station to retrieve a lost loose article (I don't know how its possible that no one noticed her) and she fell off, injuring herself.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

2 minutes ago, boldikus said:

Word is a guest was trying to climb onto the roof of the Zumanjaro station to retrieve a lost loose article (I don't know how its possible that no one noticed her) and she fell off, injuring herself.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

Here's an article on the incident:

A women was injured Sunday at Six Flags Great Adventure after entering a restricted area of the theme park and slipping on a rooftop, a spokesperson for Six Flags said.

The incident happened around 7 p.m. in a fenced off area between the Kingda Ka roller coaster and the Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom ride, both of which were temporarily shut down while the issue was addressed.

"While climbing onto the roof of a building in the restricted area, the guest slipped and injured her leg," spokesperson Kristin Fitzgerald said. "The guest was transported to a local hospital."

It was not clear on Monday whether the woman, who was not identified, will face charges for climbing the fence and trespassing in the restricted area. It's also unknown what the women was attempting to do by entering the area between the rides.

Six Flags has had a string of incidents with rides this summer. Two people were hospitalized in June after the park's log flume ride malfunctioned and the El Toro roller coaster was shut down following a partial derailment in July, though no injuries were suffered.

Six Flags also temporarily shut down The Joker and Nitro rides in July after one guest reported a head injury and a second guest expressed concern that a lap bar was not functioning properly.

The theme park has been working with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs to ensure that all of its rides meet safety standards and all problems are addressed before rides are reopened.

Fitzgerald said the area the woman entered on Sunday night was "clearly marked restricted," but didn't offer more details. 

"We are proud of our public safety team, who risked their own safety to serve our guest," Fitzgerald said. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jason Maier said:

So now that Kingda Ka & Zumanjaro can run at the same time; have the operations for both gotten any quicker?

Yes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coasterbill said:

It's helped, but the ride is also going to use one load platform perpetually forever so it's not like it's ever going to be a capacity monster no matter what.

I'll never understand why they bothered with the 4-train station in the first place.  They used it frequently right when it first opened but even before the first season was finished they were down to two trains at once, IIRC.  Six Flags really knows how to show off then fall on their face.

Edit - And don't get me started on how they split the line well before the station.  Rather than one line going to four trains (loading from the center like a smart company would do), one line became two lines for two trains each, which then became one line to two lines for one train each, which is now one line for one train.  Pathetic.

It probably had to do with the change in management right after the '05 season. Remember, El Toro was almost cancelled by the new management team. Only reason why we have it was because they were already too far along in the process to reverse course.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 12:14 PM, coasterbill said:

It's helped, but the ride is also going to use one load platform perpetually forever so it's not like it's ever going to be a capacity monster no matter what.

I can confirmed that the park has studied the issue of bringing back both platforms and almost attempted to do so multiple times this past season. It’s my understanding that two issues primarily prevented them from doing so: 1. Staffing (why have higher thru put for one ride when you can open 2) & State approval of dual operations with Zumanjaro, which park management felt was “good enough” (for now) for improving thru put. I think they originally started looking at bringing back both stations a couple seasons ago when it looked like the approval wasn’t going to happen, but getting that approval (which was actually received right before pandemic) threw cold water on the project and staffing in 2021 killed it for now.

As for El Toro, it’s actually still in park’s hands as they have not finished retracking yet and have not even asked state to reopen as this needs to be done first. Getting dangerously close to the point where the maintenance team (who want to push reopening till 2022) will not be able to finish before FF is done. 

19 hours ago, michaellynn4 said:

It probably had to do with the change in management right after the '05 season. Remember, El Toro was almost cancelled by the new management team. Only reason why we have it was because they were already too far along in the process to reverse course.

I never knew about that.  Thanks!