TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I rode KK and Zumanjaro for the first time once each on Wednesday.  The Zumanjaro ride timed perfectly that we dropped and raced the Ka train down the tower.  I had the right most seat in the right most car.   It was surreal.  Apparently there is no timing and it appears to happen about one out of every 25-30 times.

We had Platinum and Jersey Devil was on it.  This wasn't advertised at the pick-up point.  We didn't realize it until we were waiting in line for JD to open and one of the crew told us.  Scanning through the wristwatch it was indeed there and did activate when the ride opened (around 3 pm).  We were told it was platinum only.  First time they made us wait in the pre-security line.  Then once the entrance team recognized and cleared us, we could go right up to the formal queue entrance and skip the pre-security line.

They were running a strict locker policy (ala Steel Vengeance) though with no metal detectors.  3 or 4 people were looking for bulging pockets (front and ass) and kicking people back.  Closest lockers are by Nitro.  And those were filling up/breaking.  End of the day my all day locker was no longer working but hourly rentals still were going at the location.  🤔

And for good reason.  My friend caught someone's Jeep keys on during one lap.  We asked the train including Canobie in the front seat but he wasn't driving a Jeep. (and probably knows better)

• Like 1

Visited the park today and it was very busy, but I can happily report that operations were outstanding. Everything was open and running multiple trains. Of course there were a few "Six Flagsy" moments here and there like Bizarro crew getting thrown off their stride by 3 guests coming through the handicapped line and some food service employees who had no clue what a mobile order was...lol but generally everything was very well-run and consistent. Bizarro and Nitro were both running 3 trains, El Toro 2, Kingda Ka 3 and Kingda Ka's crew was fastest in the park. 

We really liked Jersey Devil and it does a great job of splitting the difference between Nitro and El Toro. The restraints are awkward, though. We got Platinum Flash Pass and Jersey Devil was indeed unlimited on it.

1.thumb.jpg.d366f21a8310cb896b8a007fb123adea.jpg

Upon arrival, the parking lot was pretty full and it steadily got busier as the day went on.

2.thumb.jpg.5711ccdc2799a14ca26feba6875db3b9.jpg

You already know this is the best sh*t ever. If I really want to nit pick, there are some spots on El Toro that could use a little TLC, mostly coming out of the second large airtime hill, the bottom of the turnaround, and right before/after the speed hill. It wasn't brutal or anything, but a little bit headache-inducing when marathoning. But this is still basically the best coaster on the planet.

3.thumb.jpg.48d214b79c6be645cd8a2383fb96f586.jpg

We got one ride on Kingda Ka. It went down temporarily once or twice, but that's the sort of thing you expect with these. The operations were extremely fast and they were cranking out trains and it was running very smooth.

4.thumb.jpg.ff97ef133178107a7dc4dddae921258e.jpg

Nitro was also running great. Super fast, great airtime, smooth, and they even got new restraint covers so the plastic wasn't all picked apart like in previous years.

5.thumb.jpg.225ec9be58c4135d6f89a874633c27bf.jpg

And we got a few rides in on Jersey Devil. It's still doing the thing where it breaks down a lot, but it's only for like 10 minutes at a time. There's a sign out front saying they're still calibrating it, but it really wasn't a big deal. Sometimes it would come back up and the flash pass would still show "delayed", but the ride attendants would just let us go through.

The coaster was great. It wasn't as crazy nor as intense as the clone models like Wonder Woman. But it was still a very intense ride, just much more re-rideable. The elements flow very well together and the transitions are smooth and way less janky that some of the ones on the clone models. The restraints are different and more comfortable than Wonder Woman's, but they still manage to not be that comfortable. The lap bar sits awkwardly on your legs and if you accidentally pull it too tight, the drops can be a little uncomfortable. I think restraint and train design are RMC's biggest opportunity for improvement. It's not terrible or anything, just a little bit awkward. We also rode Skyrush the day before so maybe that contributed.

6.thumb.jpg.b65c8cfe9c28bd0d305fdc9a48794cb9.jpg

The sea of people leaving the park. Honestly, I'm glad for Six Flags that they were so busy. I really want the industry to recover quickly and there's clearly a ton of demand right now. The fact that the park was so prepared to have a "normal" busy day impressed us. We've had several experiences this year with parks that have been a hot mess, like Busch Gardens Williamsburg basically falling apart on a busy day. I never thought I'd say that Six Flags as a company is handling such a major disruption better than the competition, but here we are. Go to Six Flags Great Adventure, you won't regret it.

• Like 5

Any idea on the cost to upgrade a season Gold Flash Pass to Platinum for just one day?

I am planning on going to this park Friday July 16th and was curious if I should just go ahead and purchase Platinum Flash pass. I have only been to this park once and it was 2014 so I am not sure what to expect on a Friday in July. The last time I went was while Zumanjaro was under construction so Kingda Ka was closed and Zumanjaro was not yet running. 

I want to be able to spend a lot of time on coasters and rides and don't want to waste my money buying platinum if I don't need to. I'd also take any other advice on navigating this park at opening and any other suggestions anyone has? THANKS! 

I don’t really think Platinum is necessary if you want to save money but I would buy some type of Flash Pass. Generally though if you reserve the ride as soon as you scan in to the previous ride (make sure you get scanned, sometimes it’s not right at the greeter), by the time you finish waiting in the station, ride the ride and walk over to the new ride it should be time to ride with the mid level Flash Pass.

You can also take the opportunity to wait a few extra trains for a better row since you’re technically waiting for two rides at once anyway.

You can also get the regular one and just ride Jersey Devil while waiting for other rides since it’s not on Flash Pass (though that could change, so check first).

^Jersey Devil is on platinum, which is why I think it's currently likely the best option if the queue is full. Otherwise I'd just get gold any other day. Also one thing we did notice was that the flash pass service center employees are still generally clueless as to the member upgrade pricing. I had to pull up the member benefits page on my phone and show them where it says that (DE members, at least, I'm not 100% sure about the other tiers) get an automatic tier upgrade (pay for bronze, get gold or pay for gold, get platinum), and he just kept pressing some kind of discount button until it was $5 cheaper than I calculated, which we were fine with lol. It was about $105 each for platinum the day we visited.

Yeah for 2 people for Platinum Flash Pass (single day) is $270.00 for Friday July 16th...Seems pricey. 

Curious if anyone has any good information how I should start the day there? I have no recollection of the park's layout bc I have only been here one time. What's a good game plan to go with at this park?  I am going to splurge and get the Platinum Flash Pass just so I feel like we can get multiple rides on certain coasters. Interested in how operations are here too?  Any info helps! 

I definitely want to ride Kingda Ka (multiple times), Batman, Jersey Devil Coaster (multiple times), El Toro (multiple times), Zumanjaro, Bizarro, Nitro (multiple times), Dark Knight Coaster, Justice League, Skyscreamer, Vekoma Madhouse, Joker, Skull Mountain, Wonder Woman, and the mine train, and maybe a few more.  Not really interested in Green Lantern bc I rode it last time I was there, and it was more painful than anything. Also not interested in Superman bc I have ridden it a million times at Six Flags over Georgia, and Cyborg just looks vomit inducing to me. 

I'm not a seasoned veteran like a lot of people on these boards, but the advice I was given was to rope drop Wonder Woman since its wait can be lengthy even with Flash Pass, and also to knock out Kingda Ka before it inevitably breaks down.

^^I wouldn't recommend buying Flash Pass online. Unless it's like a freakishly busy day, I have never even heard of Six Flags running out of Flash Pass. I had looked two days before our trip and the online prices were nuts. In-park purchasing was much cheaper.

Operations at this park were great the other day. Kingda Ka was running two stations and I can't remember them doing that in a long time. It went down two or three times for a matter of minutes but otherwise we saw it running all day up to and past closing time. El Toro was running both trains, Nitro 3 trains, Batman 2, Bizarro 3 etc. Occasional random all-train stacking because it's Six Flags and they'll temporarily lose their focus if there's a wheelchair guest, too-large guest, or someone asks them to solve too complicated a math problem, but otherwise they were cranking them out and when they did stack they recovered from it quickly.

I don't really feel like I've ever needed a game plan for Great Adventure the way you do for some parks. Sometimes we start at Nitro, sometimes Kingda Ka, sometimes El Toro, last year I even went with a friend who was a bit cautious so I marathoned Batman with her for a while before getting her to go on Nitro. Still didn't have a problem getting as many rides in on everything we wanted.

1 hour ago, chschris1 said:

Yeah for 2 people for Platinum Flash Pass (single day) is $270.00 for Friday July 16th...Seems pricey. 

Curious if anyone has any good information how I should start the day there? I have no recollection of the park's layout bc I have only been here one time. What's a good game plan to go with at this park?  I am going to splurge and get the Platinum Flash Pass just so I feel like we can get multiple rides on certain coasters. Interested in how operations are here too?  Any info helps! 

I definitely want to ride Kingda Ka (multiple times), Batman, Jersey Devil Coaster (multiple times), El Toro (multiple times), Zumanjaro, Bizarro, Nitro (multiple times), Dark Knight Coaster, Justice League, Skyscreamer, Vekoma Madhouse, Joker, Skull Mountain, Wonder Woman, and the mine train, and maybe a few more.  Not really interested in Green Lantern bc I rode it last time I was there, and it was more painful than anything. Also not interested in Superman bc I have ridden it a million times at Six Flags over Georgia, and Cyborg just looks vomit inducing to me. 

So it sounds like you want to pretty much ride everything save for a couple exceptions. If you see Ka operating, I'd go there first and foremost. Lately it's been operating better-than-average and no longer having to wait for Zumanjaro is a big plus that has immensely helped operations. But it's still a strata-coaster that can break down at any time and not reopen, so if getting on it is important to you, do it first. After that and Zumanjaro, cut over to El Toro, then Bizarro and the mine train while you're over there, then hit up Joker and/or Houdini and/or Skyscreamer on the way to the other side of the park. Jersey Devil being brand-new makes it temperamental, still lots of teething issues but they will do everything in their power to keep it running being that it's the new star attraction, so definitely get on it if you see it operating. Then it's up to you how to hit up Nitro/Batman/Skull Mountain/WW/Dark Knight/Justice League, obviously having the platinum pass will give you considerable flexibility compared to waiting in regular queues. Then once you get your fill in that side of the park, you can return back to Golden Kingdom or Plaza Carnival for more El Toro or Ka fun. If you have no interest in Superman or Green Lantern then no need to hang out in the Boardwalk area other than to just pass through.  

Like others have said, there's no right/wrong way to plan out the visit, you can totally do this backwards and still have a good time, biggest thing to remember is that your best/feature rides are on complete opposite sides of the park between Ka/Toro and JD/Nitro/WW. So it's best to plan on spending blocks of time in certain park clusters versus constantly zig-zagging back and forth.

10 hours ago, chschris1 said:

Curious if anyone has any good information how I should start the day there? I have no recollection of the park's layout bc I have only been here one time. What's a good game plan to go with at this park?  I am going to splurge and get the Platinum Flash Pass

OK so if you're going for Platinum FP on a Friday, you can basically do whatever the f**k you want.

Maybe start with Wonder Woman as the line does move slowly, and get JDC out of the way since its new and will be busy, but as long as you go for platinum you should be able to get on everything else without much wait, unless you're also waiting for the front on everything (psst - the only rides you need to ride in the front are Ka, Batman and Bizarro).

The park is a giant circle so if you start over by Wonder Woman/JDC just hit up Nitro/Batman/JLBFM/Skull Mountain while you're there and then work your way around the circle and hit things as you come to them (Joker/Skyscreamer/Houdini, then El Toro/Bizarro/Mine Train, Ka/Zum, and so on). Just make sure to reserve your next ride once you pass the FP attendant at the ride you're currently going on and you'll have absolutely no wait at the next ride. Once you complete the circle, go back for re-rides.

The most unreliable rides in the park (that matter... I didn't forget you, Cyborg) are Kingda Ka and Jersey Devil Coaster. Conveniently they're as far from each-other as humanly possible but I'd start at one of those since the only real strategy you need with Platinum Flash Pass is to make sure you ride those before they break.

Park can't catch a break. At least it didn't happen earlier in the ride, this could have been way worse.

And at least we know it'll be one of the safest rides in the park now. 🤣

Selfish post is selfish but hope they sort this quickly/fingers crossed the train isn't too damaged as I was planning on popping over soon to finally ride JDC. lol

27 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

Strange, I was told the back car was the best place to ride... :lolr:

*Glad to hear that everyone was okay*

"Best" and "Safest" don't go hand-in-hand.  The Titanic was the best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From discussions / photos over on Reddit it looks like the back car was dragged through a good portion of the layout while derailed. This is going to be an expensive and long fix. 

3 minutes ago, i305isdaddy said:

From discussions / photos over on Reddit it looks like the back car was dragged through a good portion of the layout while derailed. This is going to be an expensive and long fix. 

Yep.  That's what I've been seeing.  Can't imagine what that felt like or sounded like on the ride.  Amazing no one hurt, thankfully.

Also glad no one was hurt. It would be utterly terrifying to experience one of the most insane roller coasters in the world in a partially derailed car.

But yeah. This is my favorite coaster and I’m visiting for the first time in 5 years at the beginning of August and I’m really really hoping the park realizes the value in this ride and does everything they can to fix it quickly. I can’t think of any similar incidents on a coaster of this scale, though. I have a sickening feeling it will be down for a long, long time.

• Like 1