Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

It's exactly what it says. 'Recommended' and 'Required' are very different.  Six Flags used specific words for specific parks with specific rules.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tndank said:

It's exactly what it says. 'Recommended' and 'Required' are very different.  Six Flags used specific words for specific parks with specific rules.

TRUE, but hope you have a strong bladder if you don't bring a mask.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, coneyislandchris said:

Serious question. Is there something wrong with the transfer track on Bizarro? Or is the process to transfer a train off just so complicated and unwieldy that they don't even bother?

It is Six Flags practice to sometimes leave trains on or off because of poorly designed transfer tracks that require a lot of manpower, but that would surprise me on a B&M. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well regardless of what the overall corporate stance is, New Jersey is one of the last states that (as of now) still has an indoor mask mandate. The Great Adventure-specific announcement takes this into account; not surprisingly the Texas parks' policies reflect that state's more lenient stance on masks.  While one can certainly disagree with NJ still having this mandate (and as someone who has been supportive of cautious measures up to now, I do disagree with them not evolving with the science), at the end of the day the Six Flags legal and PR teams are just being careful with making sure they're not ticking off any state regulatory authority.

That's not to say they haven't taken Covid seriously, but they've made it known the entire time of the pandemic that by entering the park, you're assuming any and all risks that come with congregating with a bunch of strangers on rides and in queues. They're a business who (like others of its kind) experienced massive losses last year and is ensuring they won't experience any further loss from a potential lawsuit or fines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. This ride may actually open this year XD 
In fact not only does it seem likely, watch it somehow beat Iron Gwazi! 

Will be nice to return to this dump of a park (unless it's been spruced up in the 6/7 years since Ive gone) I do miss its few superb coasters. And since it has been so long perhaps I wont have all the bad tastes I used to in the day. Will be nice to have a big single rail RMC so nearby! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Wow. This ride may actually open this year XD 
In fact not only does it seem likely, watch it somehow beat Iron Gwazi! 

Will be nice to return to this dump of a park (unless it's been spruced up in the 6/7 years since Ive gone) I do miss its few superb coasters. And since it has been so long perhaps I wont have all the bad tastes I used to in the day. Will be nice to have a big single rail RMC so nearby! 

It has not.  Still a shithole that happens to have a good hyper, a great woodie, and a mixed bag strata.  You'll particularly appreciate the "marijuana is prohibited at the park" and "please don't fight" signs every 50 feet.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

It has not.  Still a shithole that happens to have a good hyper, a great woodie, and a mixed bag strata.  You'll particularly appreciate the "marijuana is prohibited at the park" and "please don't fight" signs every 50 feet.

Sounds about right, and can't say I'm surprised XD Shame they seem to be sticking to harsher rules than the state, being high may help LMAO But yeah...outside those gems the lineup was never strong enough for me to justify going and I would rather make the longer drive to Hershey BUT it has been a while, and since I'll be back in jersey for a while it may be nice to go again. The new RMC helps ha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a beautiful and amazing place with many wonderful things accumulated over the many years, not just coasters. It has some rough spots and is definitely overcrowded though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JJLehto said:

Will be nice to return to this dump of a park (unless it's been spruced up in the 6/7 years since Ive gone) I do miss its few superb coasters. And since it has been so long perhaps I wont have all the bad tastes I used to in the day. Will be nice to have a big single rail RMC so nearby! 

Yeahhh let's just say it's not Fiesta Texas.

It's not just that Nitro has never received a repaint or that Kingda Ka's "scenery" has turned into an overgrown forest. To me, the most embarrassing aspects of the park are the simple things like faded/peeling guide signs and the gift shop "tents" before the outpost section looking half-abandoned despite being on one of the major pathways. Even parks that we consider "neglected" like Darien Lake seem to at least touch up their pathways and signage. Most people dismiss these negatives with the usual "well it's Six Flags, what are you expecting, Cedar Fair?" but still, c'mon...

It's like your favorite dive bar. Yeah it looks like a dump, and is a dump, but the food (or in this case, coasters) is amazing and it's always (mostly) a good time, so yeah, you love that dump. And the Jersey Devil expansion is a beautiful shining beacon amidst everything else...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well....as the famous saying goes: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Beautiful is not a word I would apply to Great Adventure lol Even when I was in HS (mid 2000s btw :( ) we used to joke how cruddy feeling the place was. I also recall when it used to have lots of rides, slowly over time there were less and less (and half the time various ones never were open anyway) but to each their own. Let's just say I agree with wildcattb5: It's that dive bar you love, which I do I LOVE dive bars! I always went because the rides were good, that simple. I've not lived in NJ for 5 years now so I do kinda miss it now in that dive bar type of way. 

But yeah for a bit I stopped going esp when they didn't seem to be adding much/anything of great quality but that's finally ending in a big way. It's pretty cool too they aren't just making a clone/similar version of the other single rails but getting a totally new, big, one it does kinda remind of the old days when OMG there was something fresh and big coming. I remember when there was Medusa, Nitro, Superman (a joke now but that at the time was totally different) KK and of course El Toro, holy s**t now. So that's part of it too, they just kinda flatlined for a loooong time and I felt less urge to put up with it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like there is a POV and some off-ride footage available.  Not going to link it here since it's unofficial, but if you search on YouTube and filter on videos uploaded today, you should be able to find it.  

Edit: Disregard, official POV is available

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long before the MCBR critiques start?

  

17 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

You'll particularly appreciate the "marijuana is prohibited at the park" and "please don't fight" signs every 50 feet.

I saw both of these rules broken during our visit. It was lovely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2021 at 9:12 PM, boldikus said:

This all sounds really awesome (and like they still have a good bit of work to do). Loving that they're adding hundreds of trees, etc around the ride.

https://www.facebook.com/sixflagsgreatadventure/videos/806171693646555/

Great video. Did they get new leadership? Im glad to see they changed their landscape strategy from from "lets theme everything as a hot concrete wasteland" to "shade is good"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, prozach626 said:

How long before the MCBR critiques start?

  

I saw both of these rules broken during our visit. It was lovely.

In HS I used to wonder if some people went to Great Adventure just to fight lmao Not surprised about the other either. I recall it was not allowed when I visited Discovery Kingdom, despite it being CA, and yes people were deff breaking it haha

Yeah that looks gnarly. Can't wait for this thing to open. Despite all the grief I gave/give this park...El Toro and Jersey Devil is a helluva top 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great night at Coaster Power Hrs again, minus  no Ka night rides again at this event.   This was my 3rd time going    And 3rd time not getting any night rides on Ka.   It broke down about 845 or 9.    30 min later   they called it.  Closed for the night.  Other then that   it was great night   Loved  SFNJ ditching the masks rule a day early.   Was stunned they didnt even enforce it  in indoor locations like  main street pub or funnel cake place next door.   we found it only being enforced at skull mtn.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 9:48 PM, wildcattb5 said:

Yeahhh let's just say it's not Fiesta Texas.

It's not just that Nitro has never received a repaint or that Kingda Ka's "scenery" has turned into an overgrown forest. To me, the most embarrassing aspects of the park are the simple things like faded/peeling guide signs and the gift shop "tents" before the outpost section looking half-abandoned despite being on one of the major pathways. Even parks that we consider "neglected" like Darien Lake seem to at least touch up their pathways and signage. Most people dismiss these negatives with the usual "well it's Six Flags, what are you expecting, Cedar Fair?" but still, c'mon...

It's like your favorite dive bar. Yeah it looks like a dump, and is a dump, but the food (or in this case, coasters) is amazing and it's always (mostly) a good time, so yeah, you love that dump. And the Jersey Devil expansion is a beautiful shining beacon amidst everything else...

Majority of guests who go to the parks could care less about Nitro getting a paint job, or Ka having a  overgrown forrest..  Or a faded sign.  Give JD a few yrs, that ride will look like worn down too.  They go to ride,  that is all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/