TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

33 minutes ago, Canobie Coaster said:

I was planning on going (since I had a Flash Pass), but I had to cancel since Massachusetts was put on New Jersey's travel advisory.

LOL seriously?  That list means nothing...even NJ's COVID numbers qualify it for its own "travel advisory" list now.  There are no teeth behind it, either.  Delaware's presence on that list didn't stop me, or any of the other attendees with license plates from "banned states" I saw in the lot, last weekend. 

I'm all for compliance with reasonable measures regarding COVID, but the notion that just because you're from state X means your a danger is elitist idiocy at its finest, especially now that NJ and NY meet that threshold but residents are are still "allowed" to travel between each other.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

LOL seriously?  That list means nothing...even NJ's COVID numbers qualify it for its own "travel advisory" list now.  There are no teeth behind it, either.  Delaware's presence on that list didn't stop me, or any of the other attendees with license plates from "banned states" I saw in the lot, last weekend. 

I'm all for compliance with reasonable measures regarding COVID, but the notion that just because you're from state X means your a danger is elitist idiocy at its finest, especially now that NJ and NY meet that threshold but residents are are still "allowed" to travel between each other.

Massachusetts has been mostly bark and little bite, but they're relying on people tattling and I know of a few people who were fined but they had no intention of getting tested and bragged about their trip to coworkers.  I know NJ is technically an advisory, but I want to try respecting their rule.  Although it looks like you're exempt if it's just a 24 hour trip per the way its written.

The backup plan is to use my Hershey season pass instead this weekend.  I was just leery about their temperature limits (though it looks ok based on what they have on their website) and the drive is a bit longer.

That’s correct. If you’re in the state for less than 24 hours you’re perfectly in compliance with the quarantine but be warned that if you’re there for 24 hours and one second you’re not and you’ll be subject to penalties and fines of up to $0 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm considering heading up here either on election day or the Thursday afterward. Any advice on which day would probably be best crowd-wise, and what sort of crowds I might expect? I'd probably arrive between 11am and 12pm and stay there until 7pm. I'm hoping that being a weekday and not being fright fest could work to my advantage, but I'm still on the fence about it, and I know crowds here are often unpredictable.

Any thoughts?

Normally I would say Thursday because almost (or all?) schools in the area including PA and NJ would be closed for election day and only NJ schools would be closed on Thursday.  I have gone on that Thursday I think 2 times in the last 4 years and lines are usually very short, especially the last 2 hours the park is open. I looked up one of my reports from a previous Thursday at the beginning of November, I got 24 rides in 5 hours to give an idea of how low crowds were. The good thing is even on a weekday in November, Great Adventure is really good about having most rides open. Last year I went on Veterans Day on a Monday and only 1 or 2 rides were closed besides the rides usually closed that time of year and it was probably the least crowded I had seen the park in a few years.

• Like 1

So I went this weekend (Saturday & Sunday) to Hallowfest and while Saturday was nice; Sunday was pouring rain for about an hour (Nitro & Batman: The Ride in rain is awesome!) then actually pleasant and cool the rest of the day.

Wonder Woman: Lasso of Truth is AMAZING at night/colder weather.

And has Cyborg been down all season long?

11 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

It has, and pretty much nobody cares. I hope it's one of those "15 ride removals" the company has announced.

Are the other Tourbillon installations maintenance headaches like Cyborg is? At any ride, I rode in a couple of times and was like "Meh, WW:LOT is more intense"

And if Cyborg got removed, not sure what else they could put there (only thing I could think of would be a decent flat or a Sky Rocket II).

I didn't hate Cyborg when I rode it last year, but it just didn't really do anything great for me.  The most amusing part was that I rode it completely alone, there were no other riders even in line for it as I sat on it alone.
It looks cool, but isn't really a good ride.

I give them props for getting a unique flat ride, but the experience is ruined by an absolutely awful loading procedure and the insistence on running one of the most neutered program cycles I've ever seen. Guests have caught on, too, causing it to never having a line longer than maybe two cycles, if that. Nice try, but definitely a failed experiment, hampered more by Six Flags than the ride manufacturer.

I actually like Cyborg IF I can ride it with just a few riders.  If I get a near solo ride on it, the ride tends to flip non-stop start to finish.  If it's mostly fully loaded, you get stuck in rocking purgatory and the ride becomes quite boring.

Just came back from a visit here. I chose this day specifically because it was a weekday during the magic time between fright fest and HITP where the whole park is open but there are no special holiday events to drive up crowds.

It turns out, today absolutely was the perfect day to visit. The weather was beautiful, everything I cared about was running, and the crowds were super light - I rarely waited much more than 20 min for a ride, and many rides were station waits! Arrived around 12:30 and left at 7 (park close).

Mask wearing was decent enough (maybe 75%ish wearing it correctly) though distancing was often somewhat challenging, as I expected from other's reports.

No pics, sorry!

Rides we rode along with relevant notes/observations

• Justice League, x1, 5 min wait or less, got a score of >70k I think
  • Batman, back row, x1, line was down the stairs, the stair tunnel thing was infested with ladybugs, but I'm not complaining since I find them cute. Forgot how awesome this thing is, intense and super snappy without much headbanging! I might like this a bit more than Nitro!
  • Nitro, x2, line was down the stairs but the ops lived up to their reputation, dispatching trains right as the one behind it hits the brake most of the time. Great floater as usual, and somewhat intense helix, though the midcourse did slow us down quite a bit.
  • SkyScreamer, x1, 10-15 min wait
  • El Toro, x2, one in row 17 (op granted request), one in row 1 (got lucky with placement, and decided I'd give it a shot despite knowing row 17 is better). It's running really well, and with the warm weather the ejector was insane, and the turns after the RT hill were actually pretty fun. Front row only has 3 ejector moments, but while they aren't as strong as the back, they might be a bit more sustained. If you've already ridden Toro and get the chance at a front row ride, I'd recommend trying it at least once, but back is definitely better.
  • Kingda Ka, x3, very front, very back, and middle-back. Holy crap, this was a station wait! Not sure when's the next time I'll see that, so we took advantage of the opportunity and rode 3 times. KK ran reasonably consistent, with no extended downtime beyond maybe some 10 min or so spurts. Front row KK is every bit as awesome as people said, and back row KK wasn't as brutal as people made it out to be. Shaky and rattly, yes, but certainly not unbearably so. IMO any row in KK is a blast, but that front row ride, with that 100mph wind and the view, is something else!
  • Zumenjaro, x1, nothing particularly different from my previous rides. Fun and (if you're afraid of heights) scary climb to the top, seconds of intense anticipation, then a drop which after the initial kick, just feels like you're kinda moving downward really fast as opposed to falling to your doom. Beware of the brakes, I had my head stuck out a bit forward, and the brake caused my torso to bend over forwards uncomfortably as we decelerated
  • Green Lantern, x1, Snappy and very intense, it does hurt your legs especially in the latter half, and it can be described as an endurance test in some regards. If you're OK with the super strong G forces on your legs it can be fun. Probably the most positive G heavy ride in the park IMO
  • Superman, x1, running both trains with impressive dispatch times by Superman standards. Awesome pretzel loop, followed by just plain fun.
  • Twister (the Twix ride), x1, very short cycle, but what they did have was pretty fun, I think we got like 4-5 flips.
  • Bizzaro, x1, front, almost a walk-on, two trains and dispatches before the other train hit the brakes. Fire was working, misters were off probably because of the time of year. Fun snappy ride, but there is some unfortunate headbanging.
  • Mine Train, x1, 2nd row (front was roped off) run, old school ride. Janky arrow profiling of course, but it actually tracked pretty smooth, just prepare for the wild Arrow transitions especially towards the end lest you slam into the person next to you or into something else! Also holy crap the front gives legit ejector on that last hill before the mandatory photo-op turn (you know which one). Sorry Skull mountain, you're first drop is great, but the mine train has you beat.
  • Sky ride, x1 (Mine train --> skull mountain). Excellent skyride, especially at night. For some reason they were using the left hand queue to load the right-hand gondolas, not sure why.
  • Skull Mountain, x1, stopped by under an hour before park close, walked right on to back row. First drop is still awesome as usual, with the rest being typical family coaster twistiness with disco-skull in the middle and no other theming. Don't they usually play music inside this ride? It felt weirdly quiet
  • Wonder Woman, x1, finished the night with this one, by far the longest wait at over 30 min. First ride on a giant pendulum (the closest thing I'd done before is HP's Claw) and yeah, it's awesome! The swings are super high, you get turned a little upsidedown, and the bottoms of the large swings pull some great G's. Add to that a reasonably long ride cycle and you have a great way to end off the night!
  • Worth noting: all coasters I rode ran two (but not 3) trains, except the mine train which ran only 1. All rides had groupers, some of which granted requests, and some on which didn't. At KK, the grouper allowed me to let some parties ahead of us so that we could nab front row, but when I tried it again later he wouldn't let me, perhaps because I had already done it once (it was the same guy).

Overall, I had an excellent day here, probably my favorite of my 4 visits so far! I hope to visit again soon, thanks for reading!

• Like 3

Glad you liked the report! I only rode Batman once toward the beginning of my visit. We waited longer on the stairs than I expected (probably another 5 min than I would have expected), but idk if that was just slow dispatches or if it had brief technical issues. I didn't notice it go down after riding it, but I didn't pay much attention to it after my one ride.

Edited by JG-77
Clarification