TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Question for the SFGADV locals- is there a specific car or seat on Zumanjaro that is least likely to soil your clothes? I visited last season and rode twice (don’t remember which vehicles) and my pants and jacket were covered in KK grease. Was able to remove it with dish soap, but would prefer to avoid having stained clothes for the remainder of the day!

How has the parks been on Saturdays? We are planning to visit at opening and stay for a few rides on KK and Toro and one lap on Nitro, mine train, and Bizarro. We have diamond memberships w/ one-use flashpasses, so I don’t think we’ll need a full flashpass for a 3-4 hour visit. Is this a reasonable assumption? Also, does anyone know if membership-related single-use flashpasses can be picked up at the express flashpass booth near Dejavu? Thanks!

Question for the SFGADV locals- is there a specific car or seat on Zumanjaro that is least likely to soil your clothes?

I’ve rode basically every seat on Zumanjaro, and I almost always soil my clothes. - However, I was still able to clench the cheeks and enjoy the ride! Yes, it’s terrifying, but I promise... it won’t make you sh!t yourself. It just feels like it will.

Question for the SFGADV locals- is there a specific car or seat on Zumanjaro that is least likely to soil your clothes? I visited last season and rode twice (don’t remember which vehicles) and my pants and jacket were covered in KK grease. Was able to remove it with dish soap, but would prefer to avoid having stained clothes for the remainder of the day!

I have lost track how many times I've ridden Zum and this has not once ever happened to me or anyone I've ridden with. I know its a possibly and they have signage everywhere but I think you just got unlucky.

Question for the SFGADV locals- is there a specific car or seat on Zumanjaro that is least likely to soil your clothes?

I’ve rode basically every seat on Zumanjaro, and I almost always soil my clothes. - However, I was still able to clench the cheeks and enjoy the ride! Yes, it’s terrifying, but I promise... it won’t make you sh!t yourself. It just feels like it will.

Thank you for a good laugh this morning.

I have lost track how many times I've ridden Zum and this has not once ever happened to me or anyone I've ridden with. I know its a possibly and they have signage everywhere but I think you just got unlucky.

Same here, I don't think you need to be that worried about it.

I believe the grease thing is something that only happens it is raining or has just rained.

Hello all, new to the forum (though I've been reading it for years) but I am a SFGAdv season passholder and today's park experience was what finally prompted me to register.

As most of you know, Isaias came through yesterday forcing the region's parks to close. Everything reopened today with the weather fine but the area still rebounding from sporadic power outages. I had already made a rez to arrive at 10:30. I knew the park didn't officially open until 11 so I wasn't sure what to expect, the line in moved just fine and people were let in without delay. But it was weird because apart from Joker testing, none of the other rides were in test cycles 10 minutes before "opening". The park was still pretty empty, I felt like I was just walking amongst staff, like I shouldn't even be on the premises yet. But alas I made my way to El Toro which was starting its test runs, as well as Kingda Ka.

The small crowd waited patiently (it was after "opening" at this point) and it seemed like it would open soon. All of a sudden a ride op makes an announcement that not only will there be a delay due to technical difficulties, but that "no other rides are operating at the moment". Sure enough there were no test runs of any sort happening. El Toro's A train was also stuck on the approach to the lift, suggesting there may have been a power issue perhaps. I took a lap around between Plaza del Carnival, Golden Kingdom, Boardwalk, and Frontier Adventures and the scene was the same throughout, just people waiting around for something, anything to open. Sure enough I see Runaway Mine Train testing as well as the Skyway. I make my way over and it looked promising, they already had 2 cycles with riders. But then a stuck restraint occured when trying to unload, causing the ride to shut again.

At this point it's been an hour and I'm contemplating whether I should even bother waiting around. I live an hour away in the northern Philly suburbs so it's hard to just be like "okay I'll try again tomorrow" after driving out there, but I also know how Six Flags can be in trying to "resolve" these issues. In typical SF fashion there was no overall communication on what was causing practically the entire park to not be operating, no apologies or reassurances, unless you happened to ask a staff member personally. I understand that the ops and staff don't know any more than the public why things aren't going as planned, especially being the day after a tropical storm, but it is still frustrating, even making an announcement with a BS reason would be better than no communication apart from the one moment from the El Toro ride op. It's just asking for the GP to get riled up, especially if you aren't a passholder and spent good money to bring your family to the park. Eventually certain flat rides did open up, and Runaway Mine Train and Bizarro both tested again. This was at the same time that both the Skyway and SkyScreamer would break down and strand riders in the air.

It was then that I decided to cut my losses, and I bought/reserved tickets to Hersheypark to try to salvage my day, even though it's 2 hrs away from GAdv and I practically have to drive back home and go in the opposite direction. I left at 12 without a single ride, as people kept entering the park; Kingda Ka was resuming tests but I also know not to hold my breath with it staying open. Sure enough I did check in Hershey what the ride status was and El Toro, Kingda Ka, Superman, and Wonder Woman were all closed. It would've been a wasted day if I stayed, I can only imagine the lines for the open rides such as Nitro, Batman, and Bizarro, especially now with the Covid restrictions. Ultimately even only a half day at Hershey got me multiple rides on Skyrush, and rides on Candymonium, Fahrenheit, and several others.

20200805_111530.thumb.jpg.c47cc3e41f08668a2467bf634a1c44d8.jpg

El Toro's train stuck on the lift approach

20200805_112021.thumb.jpg.87916eec6369f1487c7423373bd0310c.jpg

Very muddy water

I don't know what happened between 12-3 today. I arrived at the parking booth at 3PM, three hours after the person above left. The parking attendant said the park is open but the park doesn't have power to run the rides and didn't know when they would be back online. I figured I would still take a chance since I was there. I was told the same thing at the temperature check and by the person scanning my pass. So I figured I would grab lunch and take two laps around the park. As others have said, the food reservation process works quite well (although you can't make a custom order).

So as I walked El Toro, an employee asks where I'm going. I told her I was just walking around the park since the rides are closed. She told me I couldn't keep walking towards El Toro since the park is closed. I asked her when the park closed. She said it just happened. I turned around and kept talking and said when did the park make the announcement. She said they can't make an announcement about the park closing. I asked what she meant, and she said the park doesn't make closing announcements, it was her job (and her counterparts) to tell everybody. Ten seconds later the announcement was made over the PA, a little before 4PM

The parks's schedule shows blank after Labor Day. Anyone have info if this will change? That they're every day until then looks like they're getting in as much as they can first, vs. SFFT with partial weeks but weekends+ into December. SFA is similar to GrAdv also. Of course, even parks showing more or less a full schedule are subject to change.

The parks's schedule shows blank after Labor Day. Anyone have info if this will change? That they're every day until then looks like they're getting in as much as they can first, vs. SFFT with partial weeks but weekends+ into December. SFA is similar to GrAdv also. Of course, even parks showing more or less a full schedule are subject to change.

Six Flags St. Louis was actively promoting Fright Fest & Holiday In The Park on their show flyers (4 different shows on Sunday) that were dated over the past weekend.

I'd say that confirms to me, the chain is going to push ahead and do both events in some capacity.

1191106609_Hallowfestlogo.thumb.png.035e551dc6d0d6a838f39f32971030f3.png

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces All-New HALLOWFEST

Event features Halloween Thrills by Day and Scary Chills by Night in a Safe Environment

JACKSON, N.J. — August 17, 2020 — Six Flags Great Adventure, the World’s Ultimate Thrill Park, leads the way for Halloween thrills and chills with a new event for the entire family—HALLOWFEST. The event will feature Thrills by Day with family-friendly activities and Chills by Night with rides on monster coasters…in the dark and haunting Halloween theming throughout the park. HALLOWFEST will kick off September 18 and run weekends through November 1 plus October 12. The park will operate from 2 to 10 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, and from 5 p.m. with varying closing times on Friday evenings. Reservations will ensure limited capacity admission, and slots are expected to fill up quickly. The company’s comprehensive and ongoing safety protocols will be in effect for the entire run of the event.

“Our annual Fright Fest celebration is one of the most anticipated Halloween events of the season. Given the current environment, we are taking special precautions this year and offering our guests a version that is still scary, provides lots of thrilling rides and Halloween fun, and most importantly, is safe for our guests and team members,” said Six Flags President and CEO Mike Spanos. “We will operate HALLOWFEST the same way we have operated our parks all summer, with daily temperature checks and face masks required for guests and team members prior to entry, social distancing, and enhanced sanitization measures.”

From 2 to 6 p.m, families and young thrill-seekers will experience HALLOWFEST Thrills by Day including:

- Elaborate fall landscaping displays of pumpkins, colorful mums, cornstalks, hay bales, gourds, and festive inflatables;

Back by popular demand, a Trick-or-Treat Trail with kid-friendly Halloween monsters and individually packaged candy and treats;

- Kid-centric hay bale maze in one direction;

- Fun rides for all ages in the crisp, fall air; and

- Halloween-themed specialty treats, like gooey caramel apples and funnel cakes made with Snickers candy, available for purchase.

For Chills by Night beginning at 6 p.m., all haunted attractions will be available outdoors in the wide-open midways:

- Creepy fog, eerie lighting, and sinister music will create the perfect backdrop for nighttime scares and chills including three haunted trails, four themed zones and street entertainment;

- Six Flags’ signature collection of world-class roller coasters ramp up the fear factor for a heart-pounding HALLOWFEST experience as guests fly through the air at high speeds in total darkness; and

- Halloween gear, such as themed masks, witch headbands, light-up devil horns, and scary apparel, will be on sale along with everybody’s favorite glow-in-the-dark necklaces, bracelets and light sticks.

Six Flags worked in partnership with its epidemiologist consultants to create a safe Halloween experience that meets or exceeds federal, state, and local guidelines. Park attendance will be carefully monitored to avoid overcrowding and all Members, Season Pass Holders, and guests with single-day tickets will be required to make a reservation to attend HALLOWFEST.

All team members (including scare-actors) and all guests 2 years and up will be required to wear masks covering the nose and mouth while in the parks;

- No indoor mazes, haunted houses, or indoor shows will be operated; some haunted trails and scare zones will be operated outdoors with social distancing strictly enforced;

- A limited number of nighttime scare-actors will remain at least six feet away from guests and each other;

Guests viewing outdoor entertainment will be separated by at least six feet;

- Props, rides, restraints, handrails, and dining and restroom facilities will be cleaned and sanitized regularly; and

Multiple alcohol-based hand sanitizer stations will be located throughout the parks for guest and team member usage.

For more information on HALLOWFEST and Six Flags’ comprehensive safety guidelines, visit http://www.sixflags.com/hallowfest

614519643_HallowfestKeyArt.thumb.jpg.6300398c40a1c0a7a15cc5ac05ce0d50.jpg

685664623_Clownatwhackamole.thumb.jpg.346b041c0160025b72f53871dabac9fa.jpg

1322622912_Ghoulsatcarousel.thumb.jpg.ddfe7d9c3596e066ca85e3e27841a92e.jpg

2039345138_Hallowfestatdusk.thumb.jpg.e498343a69d8c999e65d36a5957fce1b.jpg

946226888_Hallowfestkidsincostumes.thumb.jpg.827de02c6bf10e38ca24e4fae13d424d.jpg

From 2 to 6 p.m, families and young thrill-seekers will experience HALLOWFEST Thrills by Day including:

- Elaborate fall landscaping displays of pumpkins, colorful mums, cornstalks, hay bales, gourds, and festive inflatables;

Back by popular demand, a Trick-or-Treat Trail with kid-friendly Halloween monsters and individually packaged candy and treats;

It may be just me, but I don't see what's so Halloween about colorful British mothers...

mummy.jpg.203f4b8c01194819afa639a1910bb2ca.jpg

Oh... Right.

It'll be interesting to see how well the event does. And how the scares will be executed. I worked in a haunt with half wall partitions between the actors and guests before and neither the guests or the actors really enjoyed those scenes. You just inherently lose something shouting about how you're going to slice someone's head off and slurp their intestines like spaghetti vs whispering it in their ear--especially when you need to say it through a mask.

It'll do fine. Fright Fest is atrocious anyway and people eat it up. It's not possible for the mazes to get any worse. I walked through a trail last year that was nothing but wood pallets, fog machines and maybe one scare actor that didn't scare anyone. If anything I'll like this better because of the "limited capacity" (lol).

PS: Thoughts on mask compliance at night at a Great Adventure haunt event? Over/under 5%?

Edited by coasterbill

Do you think I'd be able to distance most of the time if I came on a monday-thursday?

Absolutely not. If your visit is contingent on them taking any of their own policies seriously then I recommend going to a different theme park. It's hilarious that they tricked the state into allowing them to operate and I expect them to be shut down the second that anyone with any pull in the state government goes to visit. I'm shocked that it hasn't happened yet.

Personally I'm not freaking out about covid. I'm following the mask rules and the social distancing markers and doing my part but I'm still comfortable going to the park knowing that nobody else will care. It annoys me that people are that dumb but Nitro and El Toro exist and it's worth the tradeoff to me. If you're not in that boat then I really recommend visiting another theme park that attempts to care because this park is not it.

I'd put the mask thing at about 50%. It starts out promising in the morning and then less and less people care as the day goes on.

Edited by coasterbill