TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Now that is frightening...

I'm actually considering buying a gold season pass for 2020 since I'm moving to NYC. Are the deals Six Flags is offering now the best, or is the price difference between buying them now or somewhere in April not that big? I know I missed the labor day deal and that one is the best I was told. I just can't physically pick up the pass till next spring so that's why I'm asking and still undecided.

• Replies 20.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s correct. If you’re in the state for less than 24 hours you’re perfectly in compliance with the quarantine but be warned that if you’re there for 24 hours and one second you’re not and you’ll be

Soooo late last night I was tumbling down a Youtube coaster rabbit hole and came across this video of a review of El Toro (I know we're not supposed to link to certain channels but for the sake of thi

Just came back from a visit here. I chose this day specifically because it was a weekday during the magic time between fright fest and HITP where the whole park is open but there are no special holida

Posted Images

Bill beat me to the photos. In addition to the BAFF, they had the secondary entrance to the park (for those looking to enter from 537 eastbound) closed off, so anyone looking to get into the park from that direction had to drive past and turn around. You think the jughandles suck on a normal day?

Hello everyone,

I am going on a Bermuda cruise next May/June out of New York, and being a coaster enthusiast I thought I might tack on a day at Great Adventure. I’ve never been to a Six Flags Park, Canada’s Wonderland would be the closest thing to Six Flags I’ve been to. Obviously crowds can’t be predicted, but I was wondering what I should expect if I went on a Wednesday or Thursday in late May/early June? Are schools out by then? I would be going to the park solo, should I invest in a Flash Pass? I appreciate any insight you can provide me.

Hello everyone,

I am going on a Bermuda cruise next May/June out of New York, and being a coaster enthusiast I thought I might tack on a day at Great Adventure. I’ve never been to a Six Flags Park, Canada’s Wonderland would be the closest thing to Six Flags I’ve been to. Obviously crowds can’t be predicted, but I was wondering what I should expect if I went on a Wednesday or Thursday in late May/early June? Are schools out by then? I would be going to the park solo, should I invest in a Flash Pass? I appreciate any insight you can provide me.

Most High Schools in Central Jersey go through mid-June, so you should be good on crowds in that regard. That said, you'll be good on crowds, meaning the park will be pretty dead, meaning if there's a slight drizzle they'll close early.

As for Flash Pass, I frequently go to parks by myself, and almost always splurge for the skip-the-line pass. Standing in any kind of line by yourself is still kinda weird to me, and there's only so much surfing the internet on your phone that you can do.

Boldikus will surely reply with more details.

I’ve seen a few people raving about the Nitro crew lately and after seeing that video I can see why. Having a train dropping off of the lift while the other one is just hitting the brakes is something that I’ve never seen on that ride with loaded trains (and while I don’t count because LOL I’ve probably ridden Nitro more than any other ride).

I think they must be really trying to focus on pumping trains out rapidly on their B&M Hypers at SF parks. I was just at GAm, and every single train on Raging Bull they had a 30 second clock running, and were telling the oncoming riders that they were going to be leaving in 30 seconds, and people needed to rapidly load the trains, so they didn't get left behind, or hold the train up. They were doing a good job of hitting their goal a lot too, though they didn't make it every time. Still, it was impressive to see in action!

Now, Superman, on the other hand...

Six Flags operations across the board seem to be improving dramatically the last few seasons even though most rides still have one person checking seats per side.

I agree. The only rides I consistently have slow dispatches on are flyers (makes sense) and RMCs with the RMC trains. But even Cedar Fair struggles with the latter.

Oh yeah, Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers have atrocious operations. I know Cedar Point went through a lot of trouble to get 3 trains on Steel Vengeance but they might as well just take one off and use it as a spare because it's entirely unnecessary. As for Twisted Timbers, typical dispatch time last weekend was about 5 minutes (it's up on a giant screen so everyone can see how bad it is even without paying attention).

Edited by coasterbill

I'd agree with the improving operations. Even at SFA, Superman on busier days would be running two trains, with the 2nd train frequently sitting on the brake run for just 10-15 seconds before they dispatch. I've even caught a couple of times when the train was dispatched before the other train even reached the brakes. Not as nearly impressive as impressive as Nitro or S:TR @SFNE, but still impressive that SF was able to get SFA's operations into something tolerable.

The Nitro crew are nearing in 2 million riders for this season which will actually be the first time the ride has given 2 million riders in a single season!! Be sure to take a few extra rides on Nitro if you visit anytime during the rest of the season! Even on a crowded fright fest day, the line will move extremely fast thanks to the amazing operations!

^Last year I decided to take a plunge and wait in a full, overflowing queue for Nitro during Fright Fest. The app said it was 90 minutes, it took 25 minutes. I timed it and the line didn't stop moving at all, it was like a constant slow walk with like 2 full stops.

I'd agree with the improving operations. Even at SFA, Superman on busier days would be running two trains, with the 2nd train frequently sitting on the brake run for just 10-15 seconds before they dispatch. I've even caught a couple of times when the train was dispatched before the other train even reached the brakes. Not as nearly impressive as impressive as Nitro or S:TR @SFNE, but still impressive that SF was able to get SFA's operations into something tolerable.

2 trains at SFA?!? I think this is the biggest shocker.

Visiting on Oct. 27. Don't really care about credits so I'd be ok with msising Superman since my homepark is SFOG. What do you think the proper route is to make sure I can knock it all out in time? Was thinking Kingda Ka> El Toro > Bizarro > freespin > wonder woman > Nitro. Would also like to try the safari as I see that is the last operating day. Hoping crowds wont be too bad during the early afternoon. Planning to be there from opening-5.

Visiting on Oct. 27. Don't really care about credits so I'd be ok with msising Superman since my homepark is SFOG. What do you think the proper route is to make sure I can knock it all out in time? Was thinking Kingda Ka> El Toro > Bizarro > freespin > wonder woman > Nitro. Would also like to try the safari as I see that is the last operating day. Hoping crowds wont be too bad during the early afternoon. Planning to be there from opening-5.

Do the Safari first, the line for that thing grows very quickly.

^^ SORA first if that's a priority (and it should be). Its a 45-60 minute experience (depending if you get off @ Camp Adventura). If the wait to board is an hour, then you're spending two hours back there. Also, the animals are typically more active in the morning or evening, they just kinda lay around in the afternoon. Just do it early or first. Hit Bizarro and Mine Train while you are over there but sometimes SORA and Bizarro open later - or at least they used to.

Once you're done there - Toro/Ka/Zum, Joker, Wonder Woman/Nitro. Could easily be done in 6-7 hours, but ONLY if you get there at opening and knock out SORA early. Avoid Joker early as it gets a line because its one of the first things people see, it will die down. Nitro is a people eater (as the last two pages of this thread show you) so just save it for last. The "The wait is this long from this point" signs? Divide by the number of trains that are on. Wait is an hour but they have three trains running? You'll be on in 20 minutes barring any operational issues.

P.S. Toro: 2nd-to-last row, Ka: front row, no exceptions, Nitro: back right, Bizarro: front for the view or back for the force. You're welcome.

Just got back from Knoebels. And I always just LOVE how quickly things happen. Every ride just operates with efficiency. It makes my day so much better. It is awesome to hear Nitro operates that way.

Do the Safari first, the line for that thing grows very quickly.

And from what I can recall, the line for SORA gets cut off at about 4:00?