TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

But yeah, in the end you came out ahead by not riding it. It's a piece of sh*t.

Put me in the very small club of people that enjoy Green Lantern. My few rides on the coaster were all really fun. I'll even be controversial and say I like Green Lantern more than Rougarou. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, I liked GASM and Viper when they were at GADV and don't care if a coaster ~rattles~. If we wanna talk about a piece of fecal matter, it's Apocalypse at SFA.

I was at the park for around 5 hours yesterday and there was a good amount of people there for a Sunday. The Skyway had over a half full queue only a couple of hours after park opening. Nitro got up to around a 30 minute wait around 5:00 although that was probably because it had reopened after a breakdown. I walked onto the front row after it reopened and by the time I walked around for a 2nd ride, it became a 20 minute wait that fast and more and more people kept getting in line. For the crowds, the wait time for food wasn't that bad. I waited around 5 minutes for dinner at the Main Street Pub.

I think you are right. I was there almost every week in 2015 and other than 1 Saturday in December when it was 70 degrees, crowds did seem lower on those trips to the park compared to last year and from watching wait times, this year seems to have hardly any empty days. As much as I would have liked to have been able to stay at Nitro and re-ride multiple times, I'll take the still reasonable wait times and see Holiday in the Park successful and can't imagine having to go back to a 5 month offseason.

Dark Knight, Joker, Skull Mountain and Nitro have multiple trains (Nitro has 2 of it's 3). Superman, Green Lantern and (obviously) the kids coasters have one train. Batman might have a second one available but when I was there they were only running one.

Coaster lines are generally manageable during Holiday in the Park, though on some of the busier days they have gotten up to about 60 minutes. That's rare though and generally only happens on unseasonably warm days.

The longest lines in the park are generally for Justice League and Skyway after dark. The first few hours of the day, you basically have ERT on every coaster.

For anyone not following this "snowball fight" thing, the funniest part about it is that they never intended to use snow. They were using stuffed fake snowballs and paying Guinness World Records to show up and certify it, which is complete bullsh*t.

This was the dumbest idea ever.

If you're going to have a snowball fight and enter into the Guinness Book of World Records, use snowballs. The fact that it was cancelled because of actual snow is sweet justice for whoever currently holds the record for "world's largest snowball fight".

FYI park is closed again today. Lametown. Its going up into the 40s with sun all day, but they're saying due to extremely icy conditions. Was planning to stop over to process my 2018 pass, hit some indoor rides and get a bite. Looks like I'm doing that laundry I've been putting off instead. Or maybe I'll go get a Christmas Tree.

Shame they lost a whole weekend though.

Yeah I'm a little butthurt. Everything around me is already melting and my sidewalk outside is clear (I shoveled and salted it it @ 7pm last night). If they were going to open at 1 I think that would've been plenty of time to salt the joint and get at least the indoor rides and flats going. I wasn't expecting the coasters to open (but wouldn't have been surprised if they did), but I wanted to at least stop over for a bit to hang out. Booooo.

Yeah... I kind of feel like if a park is planning a Christmas event in New Jersey they should be able to clear a few inches of snow when it stopped snowing over 12 hours ago and it's a sunny day where a ton of people would have showed up due to the fact that they were closed yesterday, people like looking at lights in the snow and the weather is generally nice.

... but I'm not here to tell anyone how to do their job.

This sucks. Looks like I won't be making it this year simply because they wait until the last minute to close and a little bit of snow keeps them closed anyways. I can't afford a 6 hour drive for them to be closed. I know I'm not their target audience, but their decisions have been frustrating to say the least. I've been looking forward to this event for months. I know they can't control the weather... but it's a winter event. I'm not expecting all the rides to be open, but give us something???

Yeah this is super frustrating. I just want to go over and process my pass. I'd be fine if they still opened and closed all the big coasters. There are still FOUR indoor rides, arcades, lights, food etc. I don't understand how you can have a winter event and then cancel three days in a row for flurries. GTFOH

Between last Sunday, that Saturday closure last year and the last part of this tweet where they seem unsure of their ability to remove 1-3 inches of projected snowfall within 12+ hours so they could open on a beautiful sunny weekend for the second week in a row, it is becoming increasingly clear that the park's snow removal strategy is basically to wait for it to melt and not pay a snow removal company.

I just don't get how you can spend the money on an event in winter and let a few inches shut the whole thing down. News flash: it snows in Jersey. You would think they'd have a protocol in place in the event this happens not just "Ah shit everyone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ check back later"

And for the record I wouldn't be bitching if it was a significant amount of snow. But like - did they never consider this would happen during an event in December?!? 2-3 plows, sprinkle some f*cking salt around the joint and make some f*cking money. Ugh.

Also - I wasn't even planning on going today so I could give a sh*t about todays closure but the fact that they're already obviously planning on closing tomorrow (making 4 consecutive days of lost revenue) when all we're getting is maybe 3 inches tops that they could have cleared by 1pm tomorrow is really grinding my gears. It should be sunny above freezing by 10am tomorrow and 40 at park open, so if they close tomorrow that's the lamest sh*t ever. Sorry not sorry.

Out of curiosity- how is the Uber situation around SFGADv? I'll be out in NYC for some concerts 12/28-12/31 and was kicking around the idea of catching a few hours at the park. I'm flying in to Newark early on the 28th and staying at the New Yorker in Manhattan. I know the trip out should be fine, I just wouldn't want to find myself stranded in Jackson. I'd likely be at the park right at opening time, but need to be back at Madison Square Garden by 8 at the latest. Is it worth it to even make the effort? I know it would be far from a relaxing day with time hanging over my head every step of the way, but getting a few laps on the B&Ms at the end of frigging December is such an intriguing concept to me. This would likely be on the 28th due to Newark International's relative proximity to the park compared to Manhattan. Not planning on renting a car.

Also of concern is what to do with my luggage if I went directly from the airport- I'll be travelling light, but that still means my laptop along with another bag for clothes. I pulled a similar stunt at SFOG a few years ago (had luggage w/ me because I was flying out after the park), and a nice lady at guest relations held on to our things.

Sorry to say but I would NOT rely on an Uber from the park this time of year. I got stuck out @ the park on New Years Day last year (earlier this year?). I could neither get an Uber or Lift, and there are only like three "taxi" companies in Jackson and its for like limo or airport service to Newark. Problem is Jackson is in the middle of nowhere. I have no issues getting them @ the Trenton train station to get out TO the park and have had luck coming back just a few times during the summer/fall season but even those drivers have mentioned how lucky I was to find someone out there even then - both times we got them were out of sheer luck. I literally tried for like 3 hours w/ Uber/Lift/taxi companies on NYD and had to start calling friends to come rescue me as the park closed, which thanks to being somewhat local, wasn't a big deal and I got home. But if you have no one to call, be advised public transit around the park is a joke. The buses that do run are like very few hours and I don't think there is any that run to NYC this time of year, its only seasonal and stops after FF. Getting stuck out there is a real possibility. The park is in the middle of nowhere.

*Also an Uber all the way back to NYC would be $$$$$$$$$