TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I am almost positive it was 8pm last year. A quick check of the website says 8pm close for those weekends, 9pm close for the 18th, which will be the start of HITP.

But the other thing about November is what else is there to do?

What do you mean?

That's particularly scary since Nitro usually pumps trains out quickly.

Nitro is the single worst line in the park at night on a Fright Fest Saturday (other than MAYBE Ka) because of the absurd amount of exit passes. The Flash Pass line is always all the way down the stairs, the queue is generally spilling out the entrance and a large portion of every train is filled with people using exit passes (and the exit pass line also creates a bottleneck that makes it hard to exit the train and slows down dispatches).

It's miserable.

The park actually changed the policy with several types of exit passes so that they now go up the flash pass line. This way there is less bottlenecking. But don't worry, with the crazy Fright Fest crowds GADV gets, there will still be plenty of bottlenecking! #trainstackinggalore

I am almost positive it was 8pm last year. A quick check of the website says 8pm close for those weekends, 9pm close for the 18th, which will be the start of HITP.

But the other thing about November is what else is there to do?

What do you mean?

I'm sure it was 7:00 last year, so apparently they think this Novemberridefest or whatever is going to get more popular. At close I was walking away from Toro and by 8:30 I was eating freshly prepared pizza, finally cool enough to eat, and watching Son of Zorn (1.5 hours seems slow but .5 hours would be impossible). To quote your trip report, "At this point it was almost 7pm and I wanted to get a few more Bull rides in and we wanted to stop and get waffles so we headed there first but like most of the food places at this point, they were closed!" http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54313&start=16110

As to November, they're the only park open within a semi-reasonable distance. I actually do have non-coaster plans the weekend before and after those 2 weekends, oddly.

LOL but that report also says we got there at 1 and were there for 7 hours. That would be an 8pm closing. Also if it was "almost 7" and I had time to walk from Grannys, look for waffles, walk across the park and still ride El Toro five times its safe to say that was an 8pm close.

edit: my Uber receipt from the park that night. 8pm closing. Booyah.

Uber.thumb.png.9f7c6f2f5cfbf585f81ab5bd2166504b.png

I know with absolute certainty we did not wait an hour for that car, maybe 10 minutes tops.

Also, this if you need further proof.

Unfortunately, I have to go to the park on Saturday to process my 2018 pass. Trying to get there as early as I possibly can and don't plan on riding anything but I'm still expecting the absolute worst.

Kicking myself for not reading the fine print during the flash sale. I certainly would have sacrificed the extra money for season parking if it meant not having to deal with Fright Fest crowds.

I went last Saturday and it was busy as hell, but Batman had no line despite the app saying 20 minutes. Skull Mountain's line filled the cave all the way up and the employee at the entrance said 45 minutes, it was literally a 10 minute wait. The line didn't stop moving and they were dispatching trains before the next one even stopped at the block. Nitro's line was to the switchbacks and it was a 15 minute wait, they weren't stacking a train at all, the ride ops kept making comments that everyone had 45 seconds to be in their seats and ready. The ops checking the lapbars were FLYING down the trains.

Didn't really get on much else because we were with kids so we mainly stayed within Safari Kids but it was crowded people wise but the lines were moving.

In fact the longest line we waited in was to get our Purple cup for the dining plan, I never knew that getting a free cup with 5 people ahead of you could take 45 minutes.

This year's Nitro crew is the best I've ever seen. They were amazing again the other night, often dispatching as soon as a train dropped off the lift.

The Toro crew on the other hand was horrific. Colder weather generally does mean worse dispatch times on Toro since more layers of clothing means less lap bars that verify right away and more walks of shame but they were still awful. Ryan goes to Canada and everything goes to sh*t for the weekend. I guess I should have expected that.

LOL but that report also says we got there at 1 and were there for 7 hours. That would be an 8pm closing. Also if it was "almost 7" and I had time to walk from Grannys, look for waffles, walk across the park and still ride El Toro five times its safe to say that was an 8pm close.[...]

I was making the point because it would mean they're increasing hours this year, but I'm thinking you're right. I think sometime like 2 weeks before going, I got the impression the close was at 7. One of those mistakes you make when you think it doesn't matter, but don't fix later when it does. I thought it was before 7 when I left because they were still running, while it was actually slightly after. I seem to remember getting out to my car and the time not making sense, and the pizza timing doesn't make sense either. It would also help explain why I didn't run into you getting our final Toro rides. D'oh. I know one thing, nothing contrary to closing was seen on the way out, everything was closed up. I guess 30 cars worth of people and 3 guys that came by Uber had the run of the park for another 45 minutes or so. I was fine believing I stayed until closing.

Although I've heard people think Green Lantern is rough I personally didn't think it was rough besides a few head banging moments which is typical in my opinion. I think I actually enjoyed Green Lantern more than Superman since I'm not a fan of the pretzel loop.

Ive ridden Mantis and Green Lantern and IMO Green Lantern is smooth as glass compared to how Mantis used to be before the floorless conversion. Easily the best stand up I have ridden.

My issue with Green Lantern is not that its rough - I think it tracks rather smoothly, its just the whole dumb standing idea - its uncomfortable (on my legs and my crotch), awkward, and there is definitely a good chance of a bit headbanging depending on where you sit (stand?). I have always said I enjoy the first drop/loop on GL but as soon as it makes that right turn after the vertical loop it quickly starts to suck. The corkscrews are absolutely brutal. We're spoiled with as many great coasters as we have so I'm content to just keep ignoring GL and riding everything else.

Superman may be short and rather uneventful after that pretzel loop but that inversion might be one of the best in the park imo. I like Superman especially during HITP when there is no line, and I really, really liked SFOG's installation.

Six Flags Great Adventure is an excellent park with lots to do. I have always had a fantastic time during my few visits to the park.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Nice video man! It was great meeting you and rest of the Cedar Point crew.

Ive ridden Mantis and Green Lantern and IMO Green Lantern is smooth as glass compared to how Mantis used to be before the floorless conversion. Easily the best stand up I have ridden.

I personally thought Mantis was fine and found no difference after the conversion.

I'm on your side. I actually preferred Mantis to Rougarou.

Great video!

Finally going to the park this Saturday for the first time this season and can not wait for night rides on Nitro and Ka. Also, just noticed the Six Flags app currently has buy one get one free for the standard flash pass that can be used at any park so definitely will be taking advantage of that while there.

I like Green Lantern, I do not find it rough much. I have only ridden Riddler's Revenge once and I do not remember liking it at all. Hopefully if plans go as planned I will get back to California this spring to both Six Flags and both Cedar Fair parks since when I was there it was a little rushy of a trip.