TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Will definitely be interested to hear opinions on this one once it opens. Certain spinning rides do me in, but usually the kind that spin on a single axis to the point where your vision is blurred (kind of like spinning on an office chair). This looks like it'll be more about a strange sense of movement than anything too pukey, and I have a suspicion that it'll look far more intense than it actually rides, but we shall see.

• Replies 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bro, Jersey legalized pot not crack. Put it down.

OH. MY. GOD. A SPIRAL MAINTENANCE STAIRCASE!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO WALK DOWN IT!!!!  

That’s correct. If you’re in the state for less than 24 hours you’re perfectly in compliance with the quarantine but be warned that if you’re there for 24 hours and one second you’re not and you’ll be

Posted Images

I still think we are 1 or 2 rides away from the Old Country path being re-opened.

It's been open on and off this year, a few times I went I've been able to walk through it, they would then shut it later at night.

Yes, I experienced it once, but no one seems to know for sure the common thread or logical pattern to the days when the path is open, but i think Boldikus is right about large group events in the picnic area. Most people that found it open said it was before 3PM, pre-lunch

Edited by larrygator
Just a fact check:

This is abc rides, correct? Do any other manufacturers make a version of this?

I haven't seen it OFFICIAL anywhere, but everyone is assuming. I would hope Six Flags wouldn't build a Chinese Knockoff version of this!

Don't give them any ideas.

I like the addition. The park has slowly built up their non-coaster lineup over the past 6 years after Snyder ripped out a bunch of rides and simply left concrete slabs. Adventure Alley, Safari, Zumanjaro, El Diablo, JL and now Cyborg are all fantastic additions to boost the lineup. I also really liked them revitalizing the Lakefront with Joker, and now Old Country is one step closer to being complete. The only major, vacant eyesore left will be the old simulator building.

I am hoping to finally get an RMC next year, though. With SFOG getting Twisted Cyclone, we are the last major SF park to not have one. With all of the problems they have had this year, I have a gut feeling either RMT or Log Flume's days are numbered. It would suck to lose either ride, but both rides are deteriorating and sitting on prime real estate. Other potential locations I could see are the old Freefall/Batman Stunt Show plot of land, the simulator building/go-karts plot, or somewhere to the right of Zumanjaro's queue/behind Toro.

What's been the issues with Runaway Mine Train and Log Flume this year?

And yeah . . . . they're both original park opening rides, but if they're in bad shape, maybe they'll be taken out (if so, which is more likely to bite the dust?)

Its used a a FF trail and for game prize storage. Not vacant.

Ok, vacant from the public for about 8 of the 10 operating months of the season...

Really though, for how many years the simulator operated, I highly doubt the fact that it is currently used as prize storage or a FF trail will be a make-or-break reason for it either re-opening full-time or being demolished for something new. I would honestly prefer for it to be re-opened with upgraded technology, but my gut tells me that ship has sailed. I think we will see something done with that spot in the next 5 years. Management seems commited to taking down relatively old or unused structures, even if they are still somewhat in use (like Fort Independance).

I like the addition. The park has slowly built up their non-coaster lineup over the past 6 years after Snyder ripped out a bunch of rides and simply left concrete slabs. Adventure Alley, Safari, Zumanjaro, El Diablo, JL and now Cyborg are all fantastic additions to boost the lineup. I also really liked them revitalizing the Lakefront with Joker, and now Old Country is one step closer to being complete. The only major, vacant eyesore left will be the old simulator building.

I am hoping to finally get an RMC next year, though. With SFOG getting Twisted Cyclone, we are the last major SF park to not have one. With all of the problems they have had this year, I have a gut feeling either RMT or Log Flume's days are numbered. It would suck to lose either ride, but both rides are deteriorating and sitting on prime real estate. Other potential locations I could see are the old Freefall/Batman Stunt Show plot of land, the simulator building/go-karts plot, or somewhere to the right of Zumanjaro's queue/behind Toro.

What's been the issues with Runaway Mine Train and Log Flume this year?

And yeah . . . . they're both original park opening rides, but if they're in bad shape, maybe they'll be taken out (if so, which is more likely to bite the dust?)

RMT has had issues with the lift and a warped section of track, while from my understanding the Flume was down most of the summer.

RMT had a piece of track replaced on the bunnyhop over the lake. I didn't hear of any issues with the lift other than the usual stoppages for phones, etc, unless I just missed that.

The flume had issues with the lift and was down for maybe 3 weeks, not all summer.

I am absolutely LOVING this ride already! However, doesn't it look like that they're getting rid of the Old Country Picnic Pavilion (or whatever it's called) in the video, or is it just me?

Really though, for how many years the simulator operated, I highly doubt the fact that it is currently used as prize storage or a FF trail will be a make-or-break reason for it either re-opening full-time or being demolished for something new. I would honestly prefer for it to be re-opened with upgraded technology, but my gut tells me that ship has sailed. I think we will see something done with that spot in the next 5 years. Management seems committed to taking down relatively old or unused structures, even if they are still somewhat in use (like Fort Independance).

But they have other rarely used structures that can still be removed such as the theater across from the Justice League and the Batman Stunt Show Arena. Also a few years ago there were rumors that Skull Mountain (sorry Cult of Skull Mountain members) might be at the end of it life cycle. I'd still like one more indoor ride/attraction to help the park in inclement weather.

^^ The picnic area runs alongside the parking lot and is further back than where the rendering suggests the ride is going. As I said in my post earlier it seems like they'll have to maybe reroute the entrance to the picnic area? But where the ride is going is across from Justice League, the picnic area should not be affected, save for the path to get in there... maybe.

picnic.jpg.57e926996e6f35d679f26a24ab207f18.jpg

new ride = red, picnic area = green

Also a few years ago there were rumors that Skull Mountain (sorry Cult of Skull Mountain members) might be at the end of it life cycle.

You shut your filthy mouth.

Looks like a great addition and I echo others that have stated the park needs more thrilling flats.

I am not sure if I could do this one or not - it might be one of those rides where I just grab a beer and watch a few cycles. Although as others have mentioned, I will stay far enough away from the projectile vomit zone.

Really though, for how many years the simulator operated, I highly doubt the fact that it is currently used as prize storage or a FF trail will be a make-or-break reason for it either re-opening full-time or being demolished for something new. I would honestly prefer for it to be re-opened with upgraded technology, but my gut tells me that ship has sailed. I think we will see something done with that spot in the next 5 years. Management seems committed to taking down relatively old or unused structures, even if they are still somewhat in use (like Fort Independance).

But they have other rarely used structures that can still be removed such as the theater across from the Justice League and the Batman Stunt Show Arena. Also a few years ago there were rumors that Skull Mountain (sorry Cult of Skull Mountain members) might be at the end of it life cycle. I'd still like one more indoor ride/attraction to help the park in inclement weather.

The Showcase just got repainted and I do think will be utilized more in the next few seasons now that the area is seeing attention. With the Granstand and Fort Independance gone, the Showcase is one of the only spots to see a traditional show left.

As I mentioned earlier, the Batman Stunt Show area is another good candidate for removal. Combined with the old Freefall spot and you have a pretty solid chunk of unused land.

^^ The picnic area runs alongside the parking lot and is further back than where the rendering suggests the ride is going. As I said in my post earlier it seems like they'll have to maybe reroute the entrance to the picnic area? But where the ride is going is across from Justice League, the picnic area should not be affected, save for the path to get in there... maybe.

Oh okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I would give it one try - IF - I could bribe the ride operator to let me off after one cycle!

(I AM curious about it, but, as we all know, curiosity killed the cat.)

Alice

I wasn't expecting this at all, and I'm excited we're getting it. I wonder if this means Twister will be leaving soon as they give a similar experience.

Also, when can we finally get our Giant Discovery, I'm in NEED of a frisbee of some sort!!!

I wonder if this means Twister will be leaving soon as they give a similar experience.

I wouldn't be surprised. It seems to experience a lot of downtime, and no one is ever riding it so I'd presume it's only a matter of time.

The Showcase just got repainted and I do think will be utilized more in the next few seasons now that the area is seeing attention. With the Granstand and Fort Independance gone, the Showcase is one of the only spots to see a traditional show left.

As I mentioned earlier, the Batman Stunt Show area is another good candidate for removal. Combined with the old Freefall spot and you have a pretty solid chunk of unused land.

Agreed, I was just trying to point out that you have two roofed theaters in Showcase and the 3D Building, so if the park was to demolish one either could go. I agree the 3D building is more likely to go first, since the Showcase Theater is in an area open for HITP. However, combining the Showcase Theater, old Freefall spot and Stunt Show Theater creates the large footprint for something big in the future.

a few years ago there were rumors that Skull Mountain (sorry Cult of Skull Mountain members) might be at the end of it life cycle.

I highly doubt the ride is going anywhere. They spent almost a year fixing that waterfall and now that they have Holiday in the Park it makes it's removal even less likely. Also, I sort of remember Ryan saying that Skull Mountain generally does the second most riders in the park each year after Nitro.

Police: Man Struck by by Boom Truck While Decorating Theme Park

JACKSON-A 19 year old man was struck by a boom truck at Six Flags Great Adventure on September 1st. The park is readying for this year’s annual Fright Fest festival.

According to a police report:

At 0648 hours, Police Officers and Emergency Personnel responded to the area of the fountain at Six Flags Great Adventure on the report of someone struck by a piece of machinery. The investigation revealed that a 19 year old male was working in stringing lights near the fountain when he was struck by a boom truck. The male was transported to an area hospital for treatment for the injuries he received. The agency was notified over the weekend that he had passed after being removed from life support. The investigation is ongoing.

Agreed, I was just trying to point out that you have two roofed theaters in Showcase and the 3D Building, so if the park was to demolish one either could go. I agree the 3D building is more likely to go first, since the Showcase Theater is in an area open for HITP. However, combining the Showcase Theater, old Freefall spot and Stunt Show Theater creates the large footprint for something big in the future.

Do you think said footprint (at least the Stunt Show Arena and old Freefall spot, if they plan on making use of the Showcase Theater in the future) would be big enough for a Dive or Wing Coaster?

That is sad about that guy!

I can not wait for this new ride! If any of my enthusiast friends know me well enough they know I got excited when this was announced. I LOVE spin and puke rides. They are a huge reason I LOVE small parks like Knoebels and carnivals. It doesn't look like its going to beat my favorite flat (the Zipper) but it sure does look fun.

New ride looks like a lot of fun, although capacity seems low.

I wonder if it will be oriented so that the light show is very visible to people leaving the park. Would make a great goodbye photo op.

On another note...

I was at Magic Mountain last week, and not a single ride forced use of the paid storage machines. Not one. Oh, and ride opps were as good, if not better than Great Adventure. So those of you who defend the forced paid storage machines should visit the chain's premiere park to see how it is done.