TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Jim Reid Anderson stated on the conference call that he expects this (assuming it ever actually opens which is a BIG ASSUMPTION) to have no impact whatsoever on attendance. He states that:

“I will address head-on what I think is the source of your question, which is there was a recently announced news that came out about some park opening in the Meadowlands. And the reality is that this project is in essence, a mall that happens to have a ski slope, a small kids’ park, and is absolutely not in competition with anything that we do at any of our parks including Great Adventure. Very small in scale, indoors, not comparable”

(pulled right from the article you linked to)

Honestly, he's right.

Seeking Alpha then goes on to label that claim as dismissive since they need to to justify their stupid study of 2000 people (about 10% of which don't even know where the mall is) but Jim Reid Anderson is totally right. This is a small scale project, the Nickelodeon IP will target families with kids which is a completely different market than what Six Flags targets (though they're improving in that area) and I highly doubt that they'll even attempt to compete with a park that has the world's tallest coaster, tons of massive thrill rides and a 350 acre safari with 1200 animals.

This place is 70 miles from Great Adventure or an hour and 15 minute drive (with no traffic which is a rarity on the northern portion of the Jersey Turnpike). They'll also likely have a higher price point than Six Flags. I really don't see them being a threat. That 25% number is hilarious. I'm really interested to hear how they phrased the question that they presented to these 2,000 people. I highly doubt that they're aware of the Nickelodeon branding and small scale of the park.

This place is 70 miles from Great Adventure or an hour and 15 minute drive (with no traffic which is a rarity on the northern portion of the Jersey Turnpike).

I've never once hit traffic on the NJ Turnpike. I guess I just have a golden horseshoe wedged in the hood of my Jetta.

I can't see Six Flags's primary audience picking a smaller family park over a major thrill park. I still think Hershey or Dorney are bigger competitors to their business.

This place is 70 miles from Great Adventure or an hour and 15 minute drive (with no traffic which is a rarity on the northern portion of the Jersey Turnpike).

I've never once hit traffic on the NJ Turnpike. I guess I just have a golden horseshoe wedged in the hood of my Jetta.

Yeah, you do.

The Jersey Turnpike used to have a reputation as one of the most congested highways in America but it's generally much better now that the merge is gone (that was it's name... you could just say "the merge" to anyone in the tri-state area and everyone knew what merge you were talking about because it was so terrible). Up where it splits into the eastern and western spurs it's still a complete sh*tshow though.

I've been to LA, Atlanta, New York/NJ, Chicago and a much of metro areas where everyone says traffic is a disaster.

Outside of Boston, the only spot worse for traffic I've encountered is DC. Even at midnight, it's bumper to bumper.

I've been to LA, Atlanta, New York/NJ, Chicago and a much of metro areas where everyone says traffic is a disaster.

Outside of Boston, the only spot worse for traffic I've encountered is DC. Even at midnight, it's bumper to bumper.

While I agree that DC is a disaster and probably the worst area for congestion in America outside of MAYBE Los Angeles and Long Island, the fact that you didn't hit traffic in LA proves that you have a golden horseshoe up your a**.

Thank you for answering my questions thus far, I guess i wonder how loose is loose... I have a camera in a camera case that attaches to my belt, it's not going anywhere, my wife thought about a fanny pack for keys and camera, so I don't know if that's fine. I guess a lock er rental will have to happen if these aren't acceptable. I suppose umbrellas are allowed if it's raining, correct? I also wear glasses with a Cedar Point strap, are they okay?

A few days late to this discussion but fanny packs are OK on everything except El Toro and Joker. I've been able to wear mine on Ka before with no issues but with the latest no-loose-articles-even-wallets policies in place on Toro and Joker, they will probably make you put it in a lo cker for Ka. Sunglasses with straps are allowed on all rides and I wear mine on everything including Joker (against the advice of the ops.) My straps are pushed far onto the arms of the glasses and I make the back drawstring straps very snug just before getting on the ride. I've ridden everything under the sun at many different parks this way (Tomb Raider at KD, X2 at Magic Mountain, etc.) and never had them move an inch. You should be fine to bring an umbrella in though especially if it's a collapsable one. Have fun and report back!

Yeah, you do.

The Jersey Turnpike used to have a reputation as one of the most congested highways in America but it's generally much better now that the merge is gone (that was it's name... you could just say "the merge" to anyone in the tri-state area and everyone knew what merge you were talking about because it was so terrible). Up where it splits into the eastern and western spurs it's still a complete sh*tshow though.

The merge isn't actually gone. It's just been relocated. It's now a little bit south of where the PA Turnpike Extension branches off.

I'm headed to the park tomorrow for a bit on the way to a party. I'm going to guess it'll be very crowded, but I don't how Fridays stack up here. Any advice?

1.) Pray

2.) Get there for opening and go immediately (Unless you plan on riding Kingda Ka then go there first) to El Toro for a ride or two.

3.) Ride Bizzarro then take the sky ride over to Nitro, Batman and Joker.

That's what Hertz said when I made it from Disneyland to Six Flags Magic Mountain in 90 minutes...and this was me leaving at 8:30 am on a Wednesday. I didn't question it.

I got from my Anaheim hotel to SFMM in 1:15, and that was when I left at about 8:30-9ish on a cloudy Sunday.

Back to the real park, though, turnpike traffic didn't seem bad when I went down. Boston is hell, though, on busy days.

Well, the times I've driven up there . . . I just take 295 when I get over the Delaware Memorial Bridge . . . so it's a few miles more than taking the turnpike, but I'm saving some $ on tolls.

Oh. I'm from MA so I took 90 to 84 to the turnpike via GW Bridge. Hit no traffic actually, ~4.5hr drive

Thank you for answering my questions thus far, I guess i wonder how loose is loose... I have a camera in a camera case that attaches to my belt, it's not going anywhere, my wife thought about a fanny pack for keys and camera, so I don't know if that's fine. I guess a lock er rental will have to happen if these aren't acceptable. I suppose umbrellas are allowed if it's raining, correct? I also wear glasses with a Cedar Point strap, are they okay?

A few days late to this discussion but fanny packs are OK on everything except El Toro and Joker. I've been able to wear mine on Ka before with no issues but with the latest no-loose-articles-even-wallets policies in place on Toro and Joker, they will probably make you put it in a lo cker for Ka. Sunglasses with straps are allowed on all rides and I wear mine on everything including Joker (against the advice of the ops.) My straps are pushed far onto the arms of the glasses and I make the back drawstring straps very snug just before getting on the ride. I've ridden everything under the sun at many different parks this way (Tomb Raider at KD, X2 at Magic Mountain, etc.) and never had them move an inch. You should be fine to bring an umbrella in though especially if it's a collapsable one. Have fun and report back!

Now what about my small camera case that attaches to my belt on all other rides? Are we allowed to take pictures on the Parachute tower? That's one of the rides I really want to do.

I stopped in for a quick 2 hour visit yesterday just cause I was going past the park anyway and had some time to kill.

We checked out the sea lion show for the first time this year, it's really good and only about 10 minutes. A major improvement over last year's show that was about the animal Olympics. They only use the sea lion for this one unlike last year when they used the pig and some other animals but it's definitely worth checking out.

I really don't find myself to be much of a complainer when I go to parks but 2 things happened yesterday that annoyed me. I'm for the new loose articles policy that the park is using and that's because I've experienced way too many selfish morons who take their cell phones out on coasters in the past year and it seems like it keeps getting worse.

So I saw them tell a few people to leave the station when they saw people had phones out or in their pockets. I get in the second to last row, immediately going up the lift hill there's some woman in the 4th or 5th row with their cell phone out already and she kept it out the entire time all the way back into the station.

The staff didn't notice nor care so I said something to one of them as I got off but didn't stick around to see if they did anything. If they are going to try to stick to this policy they need to pay more attention and make examples of these people. I'm just sick of these selfish morons with complete disregard for the people behind them.

They were also handing out the boarding tickets to keep track of the line on El Toro and nitro (the only 2 I went on) but the problem was there were no lines so why bother doing this? The staff wasn't checking them anyway and there was no reason to. Just pointless.

I don't complain often about the park but this stuff just annoyed me today. The seal show was great and Nitro and El Toro were awesome as usual. I was just annoyed that instead of enjoying one of the best coasters in the world I was paying more attention to the selfish moron to see if her phone was going to come flying at my face.

I really don't find myself to be much of a complainer when I go to parks but 2 things happened yesterday that annoyed me. I'm for the new loose articles policy that the park is using and that's because I've experienced way too many selfish morons who take their cell phones out on coasters in the past year and it seems like it keeps getting worse.
Everything about our cell phone culture drives me nuts. I resisted them myself for years until it was practically a requirement to have one.

At SFDK last month at least half the people were either just sitting down or walking aimlessly with a cell phone stuck to their face. It made me wonder why are they even here...you can do that at home.

As far as cell phones and coasters go, if one ever hits me on a ride and it doesn't knock me out cold(or worse), I pity the fool when we get back to the station. I also support these policies and wish they'd get even more strict. I don't see the need to do this. You can go on youtube any time and watch professional vids filmed by people like Robb.

A few years back I was praying the obsession was just a fad. Its not. Its here to stay.

Worst is concerts and I hear its even worse than the last time I went to a show. I'm one of the only people in the crowd not standing there aiming a phone at the stage. Didn't even pull my phone out when I was really close to the stage at the M.I.A. show and Buckethead show. What's the point? To get a like on FB or Twitter? No thanks. I'll just enjoy the show.

Another reason for my dislike of this stuff is I was in a car wreck back in March 2016 in front of my house. I was turning into my driveway and the car behind the car behind me tried passing us both as I was pulling in. He overcorrected, hit me, and his car landed upside down. A miracle we weren't killed. I walked over there to make sure he was alive. He was....and he was also talking. Told me he was texting his girlfriend on the way to Starbucks. He then asked me if he could use my phone(his flew out during the wreck). That enraged me and only two things saved this guy from his cruising for a bruising....

He was in distress

My ex girlfriend was there

When the cops arrived the first thing I said was the needless and idiotic reason for this crash.

Sorry for the rant straying off topic. Cell phones just irritate me(except when they're being used in theme park TRs ).

^ At least at a concert it can't go flying back at 70 mph.

I remember SFNE's old 5 year ban policy if you had your phone out being more effective. Lately I've seen more and more people with their phones out on the rides. What's the worst thing if they catch you now? They just kick you out of the station? I think the penalty needs to be harsher to deter people.

A couple of pictures from the sea lion show and the animals behind the stadium, I know we all love to talk about coasters but this area of the park is really awesome.

20170805_170839.thumb.jpg.5346e94453dc060dbdac88673b14c262.jpg

Swimming with the trainer

20170805_170849.thumb.jpg.b197a631fd0787b6fe8ca89517f53b97.jpg

She likes to dance too

20170805_171219.thumb.jpg.e53f4e4bea3edaab4139585bb22a3020.jpg

Up close after the show

20170805_171218.thumb.jpg.d9975a024cf86c92dafd805af41cb405.jpg

Waving goodbye

20170805_171349.thumb.jpg.4f413332611774a54a1a94fad0c0fbc7.jpg

Flamingo area in the safari discoveries section behind the sea lion stadium, first time I've ever seen them there before.

20170805_171357.thumb.jpg.0e08130a0aa18291fbee11573645c839.jpg

Also some kangaroos where the baby giraffe was earlier this year

Everything about our cell phone culture drives me nuts. I resisted them myself for years until it was practically a requirement to have one.

At SFDK last month at least half the people were either just sitting down or walking aimlessly with a cell phone stuck to their face. It made me wonder why are they even here...you can do that at home.

As far as cell phones and coasters go, if one ever hits me on a ride and it doesn't knock me out cold(or worse), I pity the fool when we get back to the station. I also support these policies and wish they'd get even more strict. I don't see the need to do this. You can go on youtube any time and watch professional vids filmed by people like Robb.

A few years back I was praying the obsession was just a fad. Its not. Its here to stay.

Worst is concerts and I hear its even worse than the last time I went to a show. I'm one of the only people in the crowd not standing there aiming a phone at the stage. Didn't even pull my phone out when I was really close to the stage at the M.I.A. show and Buckethead show. What's the point? To get a like on FB or Twitter? No thanks. I'll just enjoy the show.

Another reason for my dislike of this stuff is I was in a car wreck back in March 2016 in front of my house. I was turning into my driveway and the car behind the car behind me tried passing us both as I was pulling in. He overcorrected, hit me, and his car landed upside down. A miracle we weren't killed. I walked over there to make sure he was alive. He was....and he was also talking. Told me he was texting his girlfriend on the way to Starbucks. He then asked me if he could use my phone(his flew out during the wreck). That enraged me and only two things saved this guy from his cruising for a bruising....

He was in distress

My ex girlfriend was there

When the cops arrived the first thing I said was the needless and idiotic reason for this crash.

Sorry for the rant straying off topic. Cell phones just irritate me(except when they're being used in theme park TRs ).

Geez, glad you were alright at least. Theme parks I usually only use my phone to take photos of animal exhibits or just to grab some photos in front of some rides or entrances. Other then that I don't have my phone out whatsoever unless I'm checking the time. Concerts have gotten worse with phones as well but like Canobie Coaster said at least those can't hurt you. I have no problems with people taking some photos and quick videos of a song, I've definitely done the same, it's the people who record the entire show on their phones that I don't understand.

With the amount of phones I've been seeing out on coasters lately it won't surprise me if every coaster has a metal detector at some point.