TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

1. I had no clue that hitting up the Safari Off Road before noon was the best idea (as I said, my priority when I went was JL:BFM)

2. Nitro at night during FF and HITP sounds awesome. I know for FF, there's a "Flash Pass" for the mazes . . . and I'll likely get that. (I know one of the FF rides is a hayride to the Switlick house). As for the rides, I think Gold Flash pass is sufficient enough (or are crowds for FF & HITP not enough to warrant a FP?)

Don't waste your time! Their haunted houses are not scary. If you go during FF spend your money on a Flash Pass because the lines get really long for some of the coasters.

I'm a big fan of daytime visits during fright fest. It's usually still warm but the lines are much shorter than during the summer. .

If you are talking about late September that makes sense, but once October hits the place is a mess even during the day.

Well . . . it was a great day for me at Great Adventure. Wasn't sure at first because it was raining when I got up Friday morning and for a good part of my drive up from Maryland. Turned out to be a mostly sunny day in New Jersey

Gold Flash pass was well worth it (the only real waits with it were Superman: Ultimate Flight and JL:BFM)

How long has GAdv been using the paid fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo?

My score card was . . .

JL:BFM x 1 (first on my agenda. I got the highest score in the car I was in . . . and I forgot to grab the 3D glasses )

The Dark Knight Coaster x 2 (my favorite Wild Mouse)

Batman: The Ride x 3 (can't go wrong with a B&M Invert)

Skull Mountain x 1

The Joker x 2 (both times I was sent to the green side. Got some good flips in)

Nitro x 5 (3 trains running . . . ops were sending 'em out quick)

Houdini's Great Escape x 1

Runaway Mine Train x 1

El Toro x 3

Kingda Ka x 5 (it was intermittently down during the day, same with Zumanjaro)

Zumanjaro x 1

Green Lantern x 1

Superman: Ultimate Flight x 2

Bizzarro x 2

Except for Superman: Ultimate Flight . . . . ride ops were really quick in getting full trains out. Food service was also very good. Only thing I didn't get to do that I wanted to was Safari Off-Road (by the time I get back there at 4:45, it was already at full capacity and closed for the day).

I'll likely go back again this year . . . . Now if my memory serves correct, for Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park, Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro don't run because of the cold weather (same with Safari Off Road) and Bizzarro doesn't run because of weather as well?

I was there on Sat. Lines were nonexistent tI'll late afternoon. Allowed for lots of rerides.

Well . . . it was a great day for me at Great Adventure. Wasn't sure at first because it was raining when I got up Friday morning and for a good part of my drive up from Maryland. Turned out to be a mostly sunny day in New Jersey

Gold Flash pass was well worth it (the only real waits with it were Superman: Ultimate Flight and JL:BFM)

How long has GAdv been using the paid fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo?

My score card was . . .

JL:BFM x 1 (first on my agenda. I got the highest score in the car I was in . . . and I forgot to grab the 3D glasses )

The Dark Knight Coaster x 2 (my favorite Wild Mouse)

Batman: The Ride x 3 (can't go wrong with a B&M Invert)

Skull Mountain x 1

The Joker x 2 (both times I was sent to the green side. Got some good flips in)

Nitro x 5 (3 trains running . . . ops were sending 'em out quick)

Houdini's Great Escape x 1

Runaway Mine Train x 1

El Toro x 3

Kingda Ka x 5 (it was intermittently down during the day, same with Zumanjaro)

Zumanjaro x 1

Green Lantern x 1

Superman: Ultimate Flight x 2

Bizzarro x 2

Except for Superman: Ultimate Flight . . . . ride ops were really quick in getting full trains out. Food service was also very good. Only thing I didn't get to do that I wanted to was Safari Off-Road (by the time I get back there at 4:45, it was already at full capacity and closed for the day).

I'll likely go back again this year . . . . Now if my memory serves correct, for Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park, Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro don't run because of the cold weather (same with Safari Off Road) and Bizzarro doesn't run because of weather as well?

I was there on Sat. Lines were nonexistent till late afternoon. Allowed for lots of rerides.

I used to try to go to Fright Fest on Friday nights. It usually wasn't too bad except for the last 2 Friday nights in October (except Halloween night when it is empty). Last year it seemed more crowded and I will probably avoid October all together this year except Columbus Day.

After seeing the overflow queues set up with the Glow In The Park Parade trash cans and chains for rides like Superman that already can hold a multi hour line, as well as the pictures from trip reports of past years, I will never go on a Saturday during Fright Fest and avoid Sunday as well.

Edited by YoshiFan

To go to GAdv on a Saturday night during FF means you are courting amusememt park hell. I avoided it for 15 years and decided to give it a try on the last Saturday before Halloween in 2015...huge mistake. It took 1 hour just to get from Wawa to the parking lot. The lot was full and we had to park at the very back of the HH parking lot. After walking through multiple teenage groups passing blunts and across 2 parking lots, we were greeted with a 45min line just to get into the park. Inside the park it was almost too crowded to walk. We tried El Toro, but the line was out to the bridge by Bizarro. We stepped out of line and left the park with 0 rides under our belt.

So yeah, avoid those Saturday's like the plague.

To go to GAdv on a Saturday night during FF means you are courting amusememt park hell. I avoided it for 15 years and decided to give it a try on the last Saturday before Halloween in 2015...huge mistake. It took 1 hour just to get from Wawa to the parking lot. The lot was full and we had to park at the very back of the HH parking lot. After walking through multiple teenage groups passing blunts and across 2 parking lots, we were greeted with a 45min line just to get into the park. Inside the park it was almost too crowded to walk. We tried El Toro, but the line was out to the bridge by Bizarro. We stepped out of line and left the park with 0 rides under our belt.

So yeah, avoid those Saturday's like the plague.

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth.

Why are we even talking about Fright Fest when we have HITP?

Seriously, just avoid the park during the month of October. It's one month. The weekends in September between Labor Day and the start of FF normally aren't too bad, and the "bonus" weekends in November after the event ends have been great for low crowds. The only times I have been to the park for Fright Fest have been on a random Friday night when it was raining and we still had to get Flash Pass (Gold got the job done but it was still crowded enough to have to treat ourselves), and when I have gone first thing in the morning, gotten a few rides, and bounced.

There is a reason so many people are agreeing on avoiding the place during FF - it truly does suck. If you are in the area and want a better Haunt just go to Dorney, if you want to ride stuff without long waits (and no Halloween stuff) go to Hershey.

Hi everybody!

I just got back from a two day trip to the park. We live out of state so we go down and stay overnight and do two days. This year we brought three of my daughter's friends. Two were newbies to the park and they loved it. We were there Sunday 6/25 and Monday 6/26. Sunday was packed it was BFF day and various groups. Monday was nice and low crowds. We took all the kids on Ka and Zumanjaro and one of them liked them the other did not. The next day he wanted to ride Ka again and I was shocked it was only a 15 minute wait like early afternoon. I told him go ahead. Unfortunately nobody wanted to ride with him. We find Ka very jostling and can only do it once during a visit. He was actually able to ride it twice that day both with 15 minute waits. Security was there checking for stuff in pockets. It was the only ride on Monday handing out the vouchers to show that you didn't skip the line. We didn't see it on any other ride.

El Torro was down on Sunday till late afternoon then opened up we only rode it once. On Monday it was fine. Security was there checking pockets for stuff. We were able to walk right on Monday most of the day. JLBM had the biggest line but we were able to ride it. I really like this dark ride. There were only two parts chasing down a street that got me a little dizzy. Overall I think it is a great ride, it did have minor technical problems but came back up quick. I am glad that 6 flags is going in this direction I think it is a nice addition. We decided to wait in the gift shop for JLBM after we got up to the entrance and told it was down. I went over to where the ride exits and you can see in. I was able to watch and like 5 minutes later the ride went back up. We darted out of the store and got in line. A lot of people left the line and didn't know it reopened. If you have time and want to wait it was a good way to find out quick it was up again. I agree they need to build that area up it really is a nice section of the park.

It was a nice visit also because all the rides were running at some point both days so we didn't have to miss anything. The kids enjoyed the Safari and the animal feedings. I think that is a really neat activity.

We skipped the joker we have it in our park. Nitro (which is our fave) we were able to ride multiple times. It did break down a couple of times but came back up quickly. Out of my group I am the one who likes Bizzaro the best. I have no problems on that ride but nobody else wanted to ride again so I didn't. I don't like to ride them by myself I would rather skip it. Skull mountain was good, like the back for that ride. We rode the sky ride multiple times I really enjoy this one.

I haven't learned my lesson with GA Cafe, that place is mobbed all the time for the funnel cakes. I swear sometimes the food lines are longer than the rides. We do have the premium dining plan so we can use at there and our home park. I still think it is a great deal but a headache sometimes.

Part of the group (not me or my daughter) rode Superman and it was a long wait and they just didn't care about doing it again. It was frustrating because on Sunday with the park so crowded they only had the one train running for a long time.

The gates did open up to passholders maybe about 10 minutes before. It is a little bit of a help to get ahead of the crowds. We arrive about 9:50 to get as close to the front as possible.

Overall we had a great trip and the kids loved the park. It is so much bigger than ours. We told them we will take them for FF, however I know to go the first weekend or second otherwise it is jammed. I don't mind doing it in September we have before and it was okay. We will probably take them back for Holiday.

Might be a dumb question but generally how are July 4th crowds? Is it hit or miss?

I have done Busch Gardens WIlliamsburg (Free Lee Greenwood concert!) and Kennywood on the 4th and have come to expect theme parks to be rather empty on the 4th with people with friends and families at BBQs and parades and stuff. If the park has fireworks that would be when crowds start to filter in.

Probably the wrong thread, but I should clarify that Wildwater Kingdom DOES get long lines. Dorney's dry park has no lines to speak of but the same can't be said for Wildwater Kingdom.

Like Hurricane Harbor, you can buy a skip the line pass for Wildwater Kingdom. You can also buy an all season Fastlane Plus for $125. Hurricane Harbor's skip the line pass is cheaper if you only pay for a single day. The one at Dorney also works in the dry park, but this is of course an entirely useless feature as every ride in the dry park will have a zero minute wait all day long except for Thunder Canyon which is basically Hurricane Harbor anyway.

Probably the wrong thread, but I should clarify that Wildwater Kingdom DOES get long lines. Dorney's dry park has no lines to speak of but the same can't be said for Wildwater Kingdom.

Like Hurricane Harbor, you can buy a skip the line pass for Wildwater Kingdom. You can also buy an all season Fastlane Plus for $125. Hurricane Harbor's skip the line pass is cheaper if you only pay for a single day. The one at Dorney also works in the dry park, but this is of course an entirely useless feature as every ride in the dry park will have a zero minute wait all day long except for Thunder Canyon which is basically Hurricane Harbor anyway.

Hm. I'll look into the line pass at Dorney. Their water park looks to be a tad larger, with two wave pools and 2 lazy rivers, which should suck up people.

Id ask about the ride quality of the slides, but I dont think anyone on this website goes for the water parks

I noticed they have a Freefall, which is one of my all-time favorite rides, and Six Flags in their infinite knowledge decided to close theirs. That might be worth the trip alone

Wildwater Kingdom is worlds beyond Hurricane Harbor unless you are all about gimmick slides (funnel, bowl, etc.). In that case, Hurricane Harbor is more up your alley.

WWK has a ton of different slide towers, a good mix of body and tube slides, and as you saw, two wave pools and two lazy rivers. That said, on a hot weekend day the lines can get a little nuts, but weekdays or slightly overcast days should be just fine. You also get the bonus of no-line rides on some pretty decent coasters after you're done at the water park, and the splash-boat and river-rapids ride (and to a lesser extent the super-awesome log flume) are right by WWK so you can stay in your swimwear for them.