TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

So I'm making a trek from Maryland to GAdv next Friday the 23rd. I'll likely leave where I live early (because who the hell knows what traffic will be like going up 95 on Friday morning. And when I went last year, I went up 295 instead of spending more $$$ to go up the Jersey Turnpike).

Generally, how are crowds on a Friday in Summer? (I'll probably get a Flash Pass, not sure if it'll be Gold or Platinum).

My Plan of (ride) attack will be the Movietown area coasters (Batman, Dark Knight, Nitro, Skull Mountian), then I'll wind my way around to the back of the park, etc.

Over the years I've found that Fridays generally have moderate attendance. It's probably the best day of the week to visit during the summer. Enjoy your day.

• Replies 20.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s correct. If you’re in the state for less than 24 hours you’re perfectly in compliance with the quarantine but be warned that if you’re there for 24 hours and one second you’re not and you’ll be

Soooo late last night I was tumbling down a Youtube coaster rabbit hole and came across this video of a review of El Toro (I know we're not supposed to link to certain channels but for the sake of thi

Just came back from a visit here. I chose this day specifically because it was a weekday during the magic time between fright fest and HITP where the whole park is open but there are no special holida

Posted Images

When will people learn that it is Six Flags and they do not care if the theming is cohesive? Bizzaro isn't going anywhere and I hope it doesn't either. It still gives a great ride.

And to add to this, SF does more decorating than themeing.

So I'm making a trek from Maryland to GAdv next Friday the 23rd. I'll likely leave where I live early (because who the hell knows what traffic will be like going up 95 on Friday morning. And when I went last year, I went up 295 instead of spending more $$$ to go up the Jersey Turnpike).

Generally, how are crowds on a Friday in Summer? (I'll probably get a Flash Pass, not sure if it'll be Gold or Platinum).

My Plan of (ride) attack will be the Movietown area coasters (Batman, Dark Knight, Nitro, Skull Mountian), then I'll wind my way around to the back of the park, etc.

Over the years I've found that Fridays generally have moderate attendance. It's probably the best day of the week to visit during the summer. Enjoy your day.

And the reason I picked Friday is because I'm off of work that whole day . . . . not sure if I'll bother with a Flash Pass or not (if as you say Fridays are moderate in attendance, it wouldn't be worth it to buy one).

And I just watched the JL:BFM video on youtube . . . . very impressive Dark Ride

Six Flags Great Adventure invited TPR to the media day for their brand new 4D interactive thrill ride, JUSTICE LEAGUE: Battle for Metropolis. It was a perfect day to be at the park. Super friendly Communications Director, Kristin Siebeneicher, kicked off the ceremony by thanking everyone who was attending the media event and also all of the partners that helped bring JLBFM to life.

Then she received a "bulletin" which was the introduction to Park President, Neal Thurman. He was joined by the DC Superheros Wonder Woman, Superman & Batman. He also thanked others who made the ride happen and then went into several details about this new attraction. A warning alert went off with the announcement that The Joker and Lex Luthor were attempting to breach security. The Justice League members left the podium and headed into the ride to help. Neal then called everyone in attendance the Justice League Reserve Team and said the time was now to help save Metropolis. They had a 10 second count down and at zero confetti and fireworks went off.

Now it was time to enter the building. The amount of detail that went into the queue is incredible. There are two main indoor queue rooms before you get to the loading room. The first features statues of Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman along with a monitor that is telling the story line. This story line continues throughout the queue right up till you start the ride. The second room has more monitors and several wall mounted signs that describe the characters and also the ride itself. When you enter the loading room the Cyborg animatronic is there and it is also in sync with the running story line. The detail in Cyborg is awesome.

The ride itself is a great mix of 3D and live room scene's which includes The Joker animatronic. The ride vehicles are comfortable and they move around a lot. I can't say enough about the detail in every aspect of this ride. It's a ton of fun, the gaming element is entertaining, and visually it's amazing.

I really like how they have redone the entire area around JLBFM and renamed it Metropolis. When you enter they have it setup like your crossing the Metro-Narrows Bridge. There's two eateries, Munchopolis and Metro Grill. The bathroom is themed, Chiller's old observatory is now called Lena Luthor Science Explorarium and the Showcase Theater received a facelift.

Great Adventure has upped the game with this new ride and surrounding area. It's the perfect addition to the parks lineup. A huge thank you to the entire Six Flags Great Adventure team for hosting this event and to Robb and TPR for having us cover it!

Here's a video of JLBFM.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Here's several pics of JLBFM and the surrounding Metropolis area.

01.thumb.jpg.041aec1dee615bbc87544a09277a5e32.jpg

Good Morning Nitro!

02.thumb.jpg.c30b4ce6af8ae4d2dbad74a9720fe655.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.2700cf8ec430bed8c944b4ae069a29bf.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.a3c9114942bfddd0b6541d203b08f7d9.jpg

Crossing over into Metropolis

05.thumb.jpg.8240a89eda3834c0ea84049d964399f3.jpg

Metro Grill

06.thumb.jpg.193cc192dbb90ff9a3631354fee1b6fb.jpg

Munchopolis

07.thumb.jpg.694bdd4fa3070a5ff571b944d698b838.jpg

Behind Munchopolis is the Last Remnants of Chiller Repurposed

08.thumb.jpg.88b8633b9d52f2325802f42adbd9cfb2.jpg

Metropolis Themed Restrooms

09.thumb.jpg.d3c47f43d8ae888a52e2bdd29c30d68a.jpg

Revamped Showcase Theatre

10.thumb.JPG.61cfbf98a9d3e61c518a15eabda8ea52.JPG

Today's Star Attraction

13.thumb.jpg.32b0995892b12ea67cad0841304528f5.jpg

Park President Neal Thurman and the Justice League

14.thumb.jpg.215253a43f83d4f8e39cbc177e99f4b7.jpg

Hanging out with the Bat

15.thumb.JPG.cab46de1ed41e0492425734e276ad274.JPG

Group Photo

11.thumb.jpg.2d0cd1ec9121af6f53471f481124a98f.jpg

This entire area looks fantastic!

16.thumb.jpg.1c32a3b395a5cea91af79e1971eb94cc.jpg

Entrance and Outside Queue

17.thumb.JPG.3d0af1a2cd9657796e888a6ad1b4daed.JPG

The first Indoor Queue Room

18.thumb.JPG.fb5f1023250e27e9821edbe5450758bd.JPG

19.thumb.jpg.30cfab379657a35f9b3a82a37dafce5c.jpg

20.thumb.jpg.0e3f0cb43c595edfbeaa0a63bbf56edb.jpg

The Second Indoor Queue Room

21.thumb.jpg.cc9a1e24ffe9cd6754a4846df0570706.jpg

Signs in the Queue that describe the characters and also the ride itself.

22.thumb.jpg.d961756273482bd1615ad92a2649ac3c.jpg

23.thumb.jpg.157a5fe722f14a24a1920840a6a4aa55.jpg

24.thumb.JPG.7991908faae35060a91bf88051e05b45.JPG

25.thumb.jpg.3e8c6666a61ff850a7c30c5276bf251c.jpg

26.thumb.JPG.12e7f05770303163056e533abbe29f69.JPG

27.thumb.jpg.7fe4c9a9ba4934195643f64194db40e0.jpg

28.thumb.jpg.b91678624b63e2200e76218d6c484ae9.jpg

29.thumb.JPG.0ddda638fcbcb6b6fa6fa4fbd5cdaff2.JPG

Entering the Loading Room

30.thumb.jpg.5bf1e580cb299a40d8045177c548f389.jpg

Cyborg

31.thumb.JPG.887d3df3af7c7615b51f0c09767875aa.JPG

32.thumb.jpg.5ca46ab50a31c8ad0684bc6d559911eb.jpg

33.thumb.jpg.521d8c88ad5f5fd0f6c77546ceea7c74.jpg

34.thumb.JPG.33394cc6e57837286924541e8d27b267.JPG

35.thumb.jpg.26583605d03d0271422076b035a8d359.jpg

Happy Riders!

36.thumb.jpg.2b0c3ff2a9704d6fb65ac669902fc68e.jpg

You Exit Through the DC Super Hero Store

37.thumb.jpg.46868e597effba4d54d0ef9f7e9f075e.jpg

38.thumb.JPG.34e57ec1ab3633070d75b5b34c01eb6e.JPG

Park also Provided a Nice Lunch and Snacks

39.thumb.JPG.9ffb3c0f89e791854ad5ef724a5d0757.JPG

Leaving Metropolis

40.thumb.JPG.aebaf1fd13367ed4adc0a0fde49c722c.JPG

Goodbye for now Great Adventure. Thanks for checking out this trip report!

Edited by Sluggo77

Thanks for covering the event. I'm looking forward to riding it next week, I wish I could have been there for the media event.

Edited by larrygator
I don't know if this is actually true but everyone says the green side flips more than the purple side. If you ride it, see if you can request that side if you're looking for more flips. Your mileage may vary of course...

I got 2 flips on green. It was a quick stop but a success. I finally got my Joker credit and got several laps on El Toro since there was no one waiting in the station and they don't make you walk around like SFNE.

Thanks for covering the event. I'm looking forward to riding it next week, I wish I could have been there for the media event.

It's awesome Larry. Great addition to the park. Glad you couldn't be there LOL!!!! Selfish comment there!

Battle for Metropolis looks like a great mix of animatronics, physical sets and effects, and video. The area surrounding the ride looks great, too. Well done, Sally and Six Flags!

The only thing I don't like is what they did with the old observatory. It just looks kinda sloppy. Maybe it looks better in person?

Okay, so I was gifted a last minute trip to New York. I have this coming Saturday free to do whatever I want. I was considering a trip to Great Adventure (I have a lot of Sunday and a few hours on Monday to do New York City stuff that I haven't done before). What will the crowds be awful? If I have to wait 30minutes for food and an hour to do a ride I will skip the park and do Coney Island and other city activities.

Thoughts?

30bd4187fea29d9d741095c5c14fd464.jpg

Too crowded for your liking? Gold Flash Pass. Don't buy it ahead of time. Problem solved. Well, not for food. Just make sure you reserve your rides as soon as they scan your previous one. Don't wait to get off the ride. Gold will be good enough.

1. For those that have ridden JL:BFM . . . what did you think of it? (I haven't done a Sally dark ride yet)

2. Damn . . . . $125 for platinum Flash Pass! (I think it was $99 last year). But I will follow the advice and get the Gold one AND quickly reserve my ride after scanning.

Im really happy to read that Six Flags went all out with this ride, ESPECIALLY the queue. I hope it's a sign of things to come. SF used to make nice themed lines (see Batman), and then regressed to county-fair standard switchbacks. I think it really makes a difference in how people see the chain. Disney of course makes sure every queue is a serious part of the ride experience.

That's really weird--I wound up buying a Gold Flash pass and both Gold and Platinum were $5 cheaper when I bought them this past weekend. Maybe they just raised the prices.

Still planning to go on Wednesday, will report how it all goes.

Im really happy to read that Six Flags went all out with this ride, ESPECIALLY the queue. I hope it's a sign of things to come. SF used to make nice themed lines (see Batman), and then regressed to county-fair standard switchbacks. I think it really makes a difference in how people see the chain. Disney of course makes sure every queue is a serious part of the ride experience.

They could make every ride have amazing queue's. That important thing is maintaining the queues and things they put there. Disney does a great job with this. Six Flags however does not.

That's really weird--I wound up buying a Gold Flash pass and both Gold and Platinum were $5 cheaper when I bought them this past weekend. Maybe they just raised the prices.

There are 4 different pricing tiers for flash passes depending on expected demand / attendance for the day. If you look online and select different days you will see there is an "A" "B" "C" and "D" price. Also there is a $5 discount per person with any six flags season pass if you purchase in person.

There are 4 different pricing tiers for flash passes depending on expected demand / attendance for the day. If you look online and select different days you will see there is an "A" "B" "C" and "D" price. Also there is a $5 discount per person with any six flags season pass if you purchase in person.

Generally, how many Flash Passes are purchased per day?

They could make every ride have amazing queue's. That important thing is maintaining the queues and things they put there. Disney does a great job with this. Six Flags however does not.

You can't really compare anything Disney does to Six Flags or any chain park. Disney is in a class of its own, as a destination park and resort they emphasize customer satisfaction, convenience, organization, operations, etc....unlike a chain park. There is also the fact that SF in all categories listed SF is behind other chains IMO.

Edited by cejackson

I think Six Flags has missed the boat on the huge popularity of comic book movies in the past decade.

Wonder Woman is burning up the charts, and Six Flags has done...???

Just putting "Batman" on every ride doesn't mean a whole lot.

I think they should look into bringing back some of the live shows. And has SF ever done "meet and greets" with the real actors? While Disney has a fake Captain Sparrow in their park every day, Johnny Depp shows up twice a year

Could someone confirm how the $12 locker day pass works? There's zero information on the SFGAdv website. (There's zero information about a lot of things there.) Do I just select Day Pass as an option at the kiosk, or do I have to buy something from an actual person?

Getting psyched for tomorrow, but worried about Kingda Ka having a technical breakdown. Hopefully between arriving at opening and having the Flash pass we should be able to get on at some point. Sounds like our major list is:

1) Top picks: Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nitro, Bizarro, Superman Ride of Steel, Zumanjaro

2) Batman: the Ride: good but rough, saved for later

3) To avoid: Joker, Green Lantern [flipping cars seems a bit much for me, and GL's reputation for--discomfort--is well known]

Sound about right?

I think Six Flags has missed the boat on the huge popularity of comic book movies in the past decade.

Wonder Woman is burning up the charts, and Six Flags has themed new rides at SFA and SFDK to Wonder Woman, not to mention the three JLBFM rides going in at SFOG, SFGAdv, and SFMM where Wonder Woman is part of the themeing. I don't really understand your criticism here.

SF has not really missed the boat IMO. The biggest comic book movies the last decade have been Marvel by about almost 3 to 1. Marvel is hitting home runs and DC had less movies, less popular movies, less box office per movie. SF has latched on to the Justice League the last few years with the series of movies coming out. They have put JL theme rides at 6 parks and more will probably come in 2018 They are also on top of Wonder Woman marketing with multiple WW rides in 2017. The movie's success will keep that theming going in 2018. WW sequel is coming, WW will be in the JL movies. It also goes to the marketing of female super heroes being neglected often, they can ride WW train for many a while. If SF had Marvel licensing they wouldhave had a home run for a decade and that has no signs of ending anytime soon.

Since 2007 the DC movies have been in order

Green Lantern(generally panned)

Dark Knight Rises

Man of Steel

Batman vs Superman

Suicide Squad(surprise level of success of a not well known comic)

Wonder Woman

The last 3 listed were just 2016 and 2017.

Marvel in the last decade in order has had in order

Iron Man

The incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America

Marvel's Avengers

Iron Man 3

Thor:Dark World

Captain America-Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers-Age of Ultron

Antman

Captain America - Civil War

Doctor Strange

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Wonder Woman is burning up the charts, and Six Flags has themed new rides at SFA and SFDK to Wonder Woman, not to mention the three JLBFM rides going in at SFOG, SFGAdv, and SFMM where Wonder Woman is part of the themeing. I don't really understand your criticism here.

Totally agree!

My only complaint is why has so much been wrapped around Batman, Superman, and Joker? We have a hint of others thrown in but not as much as them main 3 it seems.

- I would love to see more water rides themed to Aquaman - as far as I know there is only one and its quite small.

- What about a ride like Justice League but its themed to Suicide Squad.

- The Flash could make an neat theme for an impulse coaster.

There are dozens upon dozens of characters in the DC arsenal. Unfortunately, most of them are just not known outside of the comic book world. I am sure awesome rides concepts could be created for - Amanda Waller, Amethyst, Anarky, Anti-Monitor, Ares, Arsenal, Atom, Atrocitus, Bane, Batgirl, Batwoman, Beast Boy, Big Barda, Birds of Prey, Black Adam, Black Canary, Black Mantra, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Brainiac, Captain Boomerang, Captain Cold, Clayface, Deadshot, etc.

Maybe as DC makes more and more movies bringing more and more different characters to life we will see more and more rides popping up with their names on them.

Well, the Flash is already used as themeing for flash passes, chainwide. I don't think we'll likely see any Flash themed rides due to that.

As far as Suicide Squad we (@ SFGAdv) do now have Joker and a Harley Quinn themed ride right next to it, so that's a start I guess? Didn't the Suicide Squad movie bomb? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't see it and only remember hearing terrible reviews).