TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

• Replies 20.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bro, Jersey legalized pot not crack. Put it down.

OH. MY. GOD. A SPIRAL MAINTENANCE STAIRCASE!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO WALK DOWN IT!!!!  

I don’t know who needs to hear this but stop doing this: so you can make people stand in this twice as long in the name of social distancing. Just load every seat.

Posted Images

So whoever writes the emails for great adventure clearly is on this website, from today lol....

"Why You Need to Ride El Toro in the Front Row

Where you sit on a coaster can affect your ride experience. Our guests told us El Toro is more extreme when you sit in the front row. As you approach the top of the giant lift hill, the front car will slowly creep over the hill for a moment of heart-pumping anticipation before plummeting down.

The weight of the rear cars will push the front riders down, making your drops feel heavier and faster than the 70 miles per hour you're actually going. While dropping down 176 feet and racing around the track, the front row will also get to see the action coming up ahead. You'll have a clear view to better prepare for the steep drops and banked curves in front of you. Presented by your local Kia dealers."

I had to laugh when I read that email after reading this thread.

It's a bit surprising that they're promoting the front row. Usually that's the most coveted row. (There are extended queues for the front row, not the second-to-last.) I'd have expected the front to be the popular row and the park telling the world about the secret of the second-to-last row.

So whoever writes the emails for great adventure clearly is on this website, from today lol....

"Why You Need to Ride El Toro in the Front Row

Where you sit on a coaster can affect your ride experience. Our guests told us El Toro is more extreme when you sit in the front row. As you approach the top of the giant lift hill, the front car will slowly creep over the hill for a moment of heart-pumping anticipation before plummeting down.

The weight of the rear cars will push the front riders down, making your drops feel heavier and faster than the 70 miles per hour you're actually going. While dropping down 176 feet and racing around the track, the front row will also get to see the action coming up ahead. You'll have a clear view to better prepare for the steep drops and banked curves in front of you. Presented by your local Kia dealers."

That's a copy/paste thing from Six Flags. SFGAm had that about Raging Bull in their newsletter. Just changed the stats.

The best is how when you get to the station they always announce "back rows are wide open, fill in the station we have open seats in the back of the train"

That's because the station layout is awful. It was awful when it was Viper, it's even worse now that it sees a crowd.

I have a hard time choosing between Batman and El Toro as my favorite coaster at the park.

I wouldn't go that far, but I seriously can't pick a favorite steel coaster between Nitro and Batman.

Zumanjaro is the most terrifyingly amazing thing I've ever done. 16× later I'm calling it a day.

So glad I did it!! A more detailed review will come when I get back to the hotel!!

Glad to hear you conquered your fear. Now you can ride any drop tower anywhere. Looking forward to the report!

Well when I finally made it back up to GAdv last year (I had went as a youngblood), I was so damn thrilled with Toro, Batman, NITRO, etc.

And I was grinning from ear to ear on Zumanjaro

I'll definitely be back this season . . . and I'll likely get a FP (does Platinum still offer double rides? If not, it doesn't really matter because the wait time with platinum is short anyhow)

Speaking of Batman clones ... The Batman (Vampire?) at La Ronde was obnoxiously fast. I'm wondering if it's due to the shorter train of seven cars? Perhaps the wheels they are using? I think I've been on most, if not all of the Batman clones, and it was the fastest I've ever been on.

So the trip with my friend is officially a go! Can anyone recommend any hotels or places to eat in the area? Thanks!

Great Adventure is seriously lacking in hotels around the park. Literally. Closest lodging is maybe 20 miles away? Hopefully Michaellynn or someone else very familiar with Jackson can chime in on that. The park is more or less in the middle of nowhere.

Food outside the park? There's a Wawa and McDonalds right across the street!

^He basically nailed it. Go to Wawa. It's on the left when you leave the park so be sure to turn right. Welcome to New Jersey.

As for nearby hotels, do you own a sleeping bag? Otherwise start driving.

Just do a google map search for "Great Adventure hotels" and bunch will come up. They're not anywhere near the park, but that'll get you started.

Go to Wawa. It's on the left when you leave the park so be sure to turn right. Welcome to New Jersey.

And yeah. F*ck McDonalds. Wawa all the way. Get yourself an italian hoagie.

So the trip with my friend is officially a go! Can anyone recommend any hotels or places to eat in the area? Thanks!

I always stay at the Quality Inn in Cookstown, NJ when I visit Great Adventure. It's about a 15 minute drive away from the park. Nothing fancy, but I've stayed there 3 times in the past year with no problems! http://www.qualityinnmcguire.com/

I also recommend Wawa for getting food after park closing. Whenever I'm in a state with a Wawa nearby I always get food from there!

When I've gone, I've used Monmouth Rd. since I'm coming from the south also. The time I stayed, I was in Wrightstown, about 20 min. not 20 mile away. Actually, if I'd been staying the night after my main day I probably would have gone over there to rest a few in the middle of the day. I've also used the Taco Bell there for breakfast and a late dinner. I live in a state with Wawa but am not a fan.

I stayed at the Red Carpet, very cheap but obviously not luxurious, though clean enough and quiet. I actually didn't sleep at all. The bed and pillow was hard, cover artificial. The bigger problem was the air conditioner. Most motel rooms are long with the A/C at the end, this was a small squarish room with a huge A/C on the side. It wasn't hot enough to leave it running, even on low, but its thermostat shuts off the fan and everything, instant hot and sudden silence. I might try it again, and after that experience I'll always bring certain supplies to a cheap hotel room: tape so the vent can be aimed straight up without the curtain going crazy, a fan in case the thermostat must be used, blanket or go ask for one. The TV was OK but the cable didn't allow using Music Choice (why??) so a radio or something also.