TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

No problem, have fun! Do us all a favor while you're there and give the Bizarro crew some tips on how to dispatch trains before everyone on the brake run dies of old age.

Seriously, they leave you out there to die sometimes.

3 trains running and it still double stacks.

I just don't understand why they use three trains. Even if they hustled a little - between the fact there are always only two restraint checkers, and the floors retracting, they still have no reason for all three trains.

Every time I've been on Bizarro the attendants just talk until the trains are stacking and then finally start checking the restraints, I wanted to be like "chop chop, hello? I get that there are no lines for this ride, but that shouldn't make you hustle any less because that time sitting out there could be spent riding something else"

Looking at next week, I see that the park is randomly open on Wednesday (Oct. 12th) during the week. I am seeing that I don't have to work that day and was thinking on doing another trip, but was wondering if there might be school groups or something else I would have to contend with. What do you guys think?

Looking at next week, I see that the park is randomly open on Wednesday (Oct. 12th) during the week. I am seeing that I don't have to work that day and was thinking on doing another trip, but was wondering if there might be school groups or something else I would have to contend with. What do you guys think?

October 12th is Yom Kippur. Public schools in most of NJ and all of NYC have school off.

Compared to the unholy hell it used to be:

800px-Marlton_circle.jpg

Man if you think jughandles are bad, try getting through a busy one of these. THAT one actually used to have traffic lights to have some semblance of civility. There are plenty still out there with just yield signs, better known in New Jersey as "F**k off, you yield for me" signs.

I'm pretty late to the party, but who thought this was a good idea?

I would never know about these things about jughandles, so thanks for posting all if this.

Anyways, back to Great Adventure...

I'm pretty late to the party, but who thought this was a good idea?

I would never know about these things about jughandles, so thanks for posting all if this.

Anyways, back to Great Adventure...

New Jersey used to have dozens of traffic circles throughout the state (I think the highest total was somewhere in the low 100s). There aren't many left, but some still are out, including some with that design. For example, I live right down the street from the Route 38 / Church Road circle:

Untitled.png.83124cd98653e06c150feba3f085fcb1.png

You get used to it, but I always have to prep out-of-towners so they're ready for it.

Looking at next week, I see that the park is randomly open on Wednesday (Oct. 12th) during the week. What do you guys think?

October 12th is Yom Kippur. Public schools in most of NJ and all of NYC have school off.

Correct. Expect mild to moderate lines and the place should clear out in the early evening. El Toro's back to 2 train operation thankfully and knowing how they can chew through that line is the only thing that really matters, let's be honest. Several people on the forum happen to be going that day. See you there perhaps!

^^^The old 70/73 circle was the absolute worst. Kaighns and Church one is bad too but mostly because people don't know how to navigate it and end up just stopping or not entering the traffic flow. I remember the Berlin circle being bad a while back too but they've fixed that. On the other hand, I think the jug handle that you use to get to Wawa near GAdv is actually pretty helpful to traffic flow. A line of cars waiting to turn left at the light would definitely cause some backups.

Looking at next week, I see that the park is randomly open on Wednesday (Oct. 12th) during the week. What do you guys think?

Correct. Expect mild to moderate lines and the place should clear out in the early evening. El Toro's back to 2 train operation thankfully and knowing how they can chew through that line is the only thing that really matters, let's be honest. Several people on the forum happen to be going that day. See you there perhaps!

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm going since I expect it to be a mile day. At the very least I expect to get my 10+ laps on El Toro to start the day.

Oh... my... God

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

This (permanent?!?!?!?!?!) installation is now over in Movietown. We are never (ever ever) buying a stupid dining plan... like ever.

"Authentic Belgian Waffle with a French Touch"

So...not Belgian?

Oh... my... God

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

This (permanent?!?!?!?!?!) installation is now over in Movietown. We are never (ever ever) buying a stupid dining plan... like ever.

What does this have to do with the dining plan? The plan seems like a good deal and that place looks like a nice treat.

Six Flags dining plans typically limit the venues in which you can eat, and limit the menus at those venues too, in exchange for really cheap food. I love the dining plan (although CF does it better) because I have 3 kids and that way we can feed everyone for a reasonable price. Because of the limited choice, though, the food venues do tend to have long lines, so if you're willing to spend the money, you can get better service at a place like this waffle stand that's not on the dining plan. Well, you'll have shorter lines anyway.

A long time reader here, but have never posted before. As I've used this site for research, I wanted to post about a recent trip.

We just returned from six weeks in the US, which included quite a few parks - Cedar Point, Kings Island, Knotts, Busch Gardens Tampa, Disney's Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios; and Universal's IoA and Studios, as well as SFGA.

SFGA was new to us and we had a fantastic time, better than expected!

We took the bus from NYC for the day (Sunday, 18 Sept.), arriving before the park opened.

We didn't have Flash Passes, which weren't needed with all rides walk-on. We rode all (open) coasters multiple times and had the best day.

After reading about El Toro for a long time now, it was one of the two most anticipated coasters at the park for us and unfortunately it was closed all day.

Kingda Ka was closed when the park opened and I kept putting off a run over there to check if it was going to open, because after travelling 16,000 km, finding both closed was really killing me. We finally got there two hours after open and it literally opened the moment we arrived. We ran straight to the front row and wow. I thought my eyelids were going to turn inside out with the wind. It's impossible to keep a straight face! We rode it four times. The acceleration didn't feel as smooth as TTD, sorta like it jerked four times getting up to speed which was fine! Just a different feel to TTD.

We rode Joker first up, which is great on an empty stomach and completely cold to the forces of a coaster! With no lines, we rode twice, but the partner was bored by it so we moved on.

Bizarro was next and really fun. Super annoying slow load times even with four ride operators, with a half empty station, the third train was going through unloaded. I like the half attempt at theming the ride, much better than unpainted ex-car park you see at SFMM!

We were there, so meh, why not, we rode the Mine Train. Little bit surprising that it had a slight thrill! certainly better than similar at Cedar Point and Kings Island.

We still hadn't heard Toro, so wandered over to have our hearts broken properly - it wasn't going to run at all today.

Diablo was there, so on we jumped.

Around to Kingda Ka we gingerly walked, as we couldn't hear a peep from it. But as I said above, it started testing the moment we arrived and on we jumped. I live for this ride, my partner bears with me on it

Drop rides are more my partner's thing, so I thought we might make a quick side excursion to Zumanjaro. UM, why is there not a shuttle service out there!? hah

After the long walk back to civilisation, Green Lantern was next. We rode front row first and were shocked, our heads were not pummeled and walked off without a headache. That was saved for the next ride when we tried the back. Ouch. We came back later in the night to try the front and loved the intensity of the first inversion.

Superman was also a nice surprise. Obviously not as big as Tatsu, but at least the loading procedure wasn't as slow as Firehawk at Kings Island. It was fun though!

A quick stop for the Twister then a cross to the other side of the park.

Nitro was first and such a pleasant coaster. All that air time makes for a nice cool relief in the hot afternoon sun. After a few rides (and an interesting interaction with the man next to me with a thick Jersey accent: 'ISIS know not to fuck with you Australians!', um ok) the partner was getting sick of walking round in circles to reride so on we moved.

Batman is awesome! It doesn't really look like much, but it was super fun.

The poor mouse on Dark Knight has had all the 'wild' taken out of it, sad.

As Skull Mountain was closed, we rode a few more flat rides, then around the park we went again!

Can't wait to return next time we are in the US.

20160918_102545.thumb.jpg.fe6bd590c4af211794212f9e5e8a0704.jpg

Great view as you disembark the bus

20160918_130256.thumb.jpg.b14d21403280ce76cabd273126bebe76.jpg

Bizarro, in the middle front row, you get a little foot rest!

20160918_131807.thumb.jpg.8292f6855d4ec01597e02be7e122d648.jpg

It breaks the heart to travel so far, be so close, and not be able to ride.

20160918_144550.thumb.jpg.f714d9f7537cfe2a97d137718ed1d517.jpg

A few ibuprofen were popped post ride, but still had fun!

20160918_175239.thumb.jpg.c011122f3d5a63baca21053427449cc7.jpg

I just wish you could go round twice, it is over so fast.

20160918_195946.thumb.jpg.f7ba8bc5d77413c8d03dcb10cf2a4887.jpg

20160918_200233.thumb.jpg.47e4b447ab78617767343396bec94b08.jpg

IMG_20160919_100838.thumb.jpg.031972be881b37c5a8a07f29c271e297.jpg

Not the ride to take beautiful pics on...

How are the restraints on the Joker coaster? Will a big person be able to fit? I can fit on Kingda Ka but not Batman the Ride

They're a lot like Zumanjaro's restraints with a Gatekeeper style vest added on. They seem pretty accommodating but I'm no expert in that area. I haven't seen many people rejected from Joker though.