TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^Always remember the shortcut thought the arcade. Only saves you a minute but if the ride is already running, that minute could equal another lap.

• Replies 20.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OH. MY. GOD. A SPIRAL MAINTENANCE STAIRCASE!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO WALK DOWN IT!!!!  

That’s correct. If you’re in the state for less than 24 hours you’re perfectly in compliance with the quarantine but be warned that if you’re there for 24 hours and one second you’re not and you’ll be

Good news - construction restarted on Jersey Devil!

Posted Images

That's the difference. There's no logging off at an enthusiast event unless you just lock yourself in the bathroom or ride something enthusiasts would never ride like Safari Off Road Adventure.

Full disclosure I do that kind of thing all the time. When we run into an enthusiast that annoys the sh*t out of us we just tell them we're going to do something like ride Safari or watch a show because we know they'll never tag along. Pretending we were going to the Jack Frost show during HITP saved me from multiple people on the Great Adventure Connoisseur Facebook page including one guy that decided we should carpool with him for 2 hours next time we go to the park 30 seconds after we met him.

^^^Good tip! Next year when I go, I'll be sure to do this! I think I went there first last time I went, and got in two rides. But I was also with my 60+ year old dad, so we weren't exactly busting tail to get over there or anything... Still, I'm just glad my 60+ year old dad will get on and ride any coaster with me anywhere, so that's cool!

Yeah, I'm somewhat jealous and sad about this. My dad really made my early teen days of enthusiasm possible and took me around to ride my favorite rides. He hasn't been to parks with me in close to 10 years, with the exception of one family trip to BGW. I decided for father's day this year we'd do a throwback and I took him to Carowinds to ride my new favorite, Fury. He has had some blood pressure issues and is on some medication, and said that they gave him some vertigo-ish feelings and afterwards he said he felt that his riding days were numbered. Enjoy that while you can.

Side note, I saw an 80-90 year cute old man having to be helped into and out of his seat on I305 this summer. Kudos to that ballsy old guy. Fingers crossed that's me. lol

My favorite kind of enthusiast to make fun of (after the fact, as I typically don't make fun of people in front of them - typically), are the ones who ride a coaster like it's actually the last thing on earth they're enthusiastic for, and look bored out of their skulls. I look like I'm having a good time when I ride a coaster (well, unless it's T3, or Hurler, or some shite like that), so if that makes people think I'm lame... Well, I don't care!

^^ My folks both did coasters with me as a kid and I totally have them to thank for raising a family of riders. But my Dad has back issues and won't go near any rides at all anymore. I got my tipsy Mom on The Great White two years ago and it roughed her up pretty good. Dying to get her on Nitro or Toro but those days are numbered if not passed already.

But not sure if anyone can touch Coasterbills Mom. She is seriously hardcore - not only riding with us all day in freezing temps during HITP but finished it off with an hour and a half marathon on Nitro. I wanna have that kinda stamina!

My bro-in-law and I rode with Talon front row at Haunt a few years back with a couple who had to be at least 75 years old, it was so cute and amazing at the same time.

^^^Good tip! Next year when I go, I'll be sure to do this! I think I went there first last time I went, and got in two rides. But I was also with my 60+ year old dad, so we weren't exactly busting tail to get over there or anything... Still, I'm just glad my 60+ year old dad will get on and ride any coaster with me anywhere, so that's cool!

Yeah, I'm somewhat jealous and sad about this. My dad really made my early teen days of enthusiasm possible and took me around to ride my favorite rides. He hasn't been to parks with me in close to 10 years, with the exception of one family trip to BGW. I decided for father's day this year we'd do a throwback and I took him to Carowinds to ride my new favorite, Fury. He has had some blood pressure issues and is on some medication, and said that they gave him some vertigo-ish feelings and afterwards he said he felt that his riding days were numbered. Enjoy that while you can.

Side note, I saw an 80-90 year cute old man having to be helped into and out of his seat on I305 this summer. Kudos to that ballsy old guy. Fingers crossed that's me. lol

I do really appreciate him, and love sharing in my passion for amusement parks with him! However, it changes over time... Even though he will still ride everything and anything, he needs a lot more breaks, and will often take a nap in the car at some point throughout the day. Heck, I've changed as I've gotten older too, and appreciate that a lot more too! No trip to CP these days is complete without a stop in the Red Garter to relax, and enjoy some popcorn and an alcoholic beverage! Him and I did Brew and BBQ this year at CP, and loved it! One of the best things I've done at an amusement park in a while! I know it won't last forever, but I am grateful for it now...

^^ Yeah she's pretty insane. She just drove 2 hours and showed up randomly in the middle of the day in January because she wanted to ride Nitro. She's convinced that Nitro is literally the single greatest thing on planet earth.

^^ My folks both did coasters with me as a kid and I totally have them to thank for raising a family of riders. But my Dad has back issues and won't go near any rides at all anymore. I got my tipsy Mom on The Great White two years ago and it roughed her up pretty good. Dying to get her on Nitro or Toro but those days are numbered if not passed already.

But not sure if anyone can touch Coasterbills Mom. She is seriously hardcore - not only riding with us all day in freezing temps during HITP but finished it off with an hour and a half marathon on Nitro. I wanna have that kinda stamina!

My bro-in-law and I rode with Talon front row at Haunt a few years back with a couple who had to be at least 75 years old, it was so cute and amazing at the same time.

My mom is in her late 60s and Nitro is her favorite but she will still go on any coaster in the park. I will admit as she keeps getting older I do get a bit concerned with her riding coasters but she loves it and she's the person who always took me to the theme parks so I enjoy seeing her still being able to have fun on extreme rides at her age. I hope I can still go on them when I reach that age.

Visited the park with Physical for a few hours today and got one ride on Bizzaro and 6 on El Toro. Ryan was nice enough to give us 2 full-speed lift hill rides and wow, what a difference!

You aren't able to change the speed of the lift. It's programmed to slow down before it gets to the top so I think you were hallucinating lol

Like I said, Ryan was able to make it full speed (it didn't slow down at the top). He told us ahead of time he was doing it and it actually happened. It's just a switch on the ops panel.

Yup! It's as simple as turning a key and pushing a button.

Why would they not run it at full speed? Maybe that's what happened last year when I went there and thought the air was not quite what it used to be. (I had also ridden Skyrush a few weeks earlier.)

Why would they not run it at full speed? Maybe that's what happened last year when I went there and thought the air was not quite what it used to be. (I had also ridden Skyrush a few weeks earlier.)

There's some mechanical reasons why the lift was slowed down and why a boost function was later installed. But the ride honestly doesn't run much faster with the boost then it does without it. A fully loaded train averages 44.32 feet per second into the brake run with or without a boost. (Im not making that number up haha the computer says 44.32 almost everytime.) The only difference I've ever notice is really just the first drop. But I think the train spends more time on the unstop wheels during the first drop with a boost which detracts from the extra kick into the first drop. Those unstop wheels do not like to spin freely! I've played with them before.

There's some mechanical reasons why the lift was slowed down and why a boost function was later installed. But the ride honestly doesn't run much faster with the boost then it does without it. A fully loaded train averages 44.32 feet per second into the brake run with or without a boost. (Im not making that number up haha the computer says 44.32 almost everytime.) The only difference I've ever notice is really just the first drop. But I think the train spends more time on the unstop wheels during the first drop with a boost which detracts from the extra kick into the first drop. Those unstop wheels do not like to spin freely! I've played with them before.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, does the lift sometimes run slow? We were at the park about a month ago, and El Toro broke down roughly 30 minutes before close. It re-opened, and we were on the last 4 or 5 trains of the night, some of them were cresting the lift so slowly that you could hear the anti-rollbacks come out. That stereotypical coaster "clank clank" noise. Was there an issue on that specific night where the lift was slowing down too much? Or is that a common thing.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, does the lift sometimes run slow? We were at the park about a month ago, and El Toro broke down roughly 30 minutes before close. It re-opened, and we were on the last 4 or 5 trains of the night, some of them were cresting the lift so slowly that you could hear the anti-rollbacks come out. That stereotypical coaster "clank clank" noise. Was there an issue on that specific night where the lift was slowing down too much? Or is that a common thing.

That's pretty common. Sometimes the anti-rollbacks go off the entire lift and the whole park can hear. Fun fact, each Toro train has two rollback dogs.

That's pretty common. Sometimes the anti-rollbacks go off the entire lift and the whole park can hear. Fun fact, each Toro train has two rollback dogs.

I love little facts like these. Thanks! On Toro's anti-rollbacks is there tires that spin to retract them up to make the lift silent?

I love little facts like these. Thanks! On Toro's anti-rollbacks is there tires that spin to retract them up to make the lift silent?

Is that how it works on Millennium Force? When those things drop it sounds like the entire train is breaking apart. You can hear it from anywhere in the park.

Is that how it works on Millennium Force? When those things drop it sounds like the entire train is breaking apart. You can hear it from anywhere in the park.

If I'm not mistaken the rollbacks on MF work on a magnet strip running along side the rollbacks. If the train is traveling over a certain speed, the magnets keep the rollback dogs up, but if it drops below a certain speed, they engage. It's the same on I305 as well.

This might already be common knowledge, but I came across this pair of images that purports to show Philly and NYC from Kingda Ka. It's visually distant, but I thought it was a pretty cool fun fact if it's true.

Yes, there are 6 anti-rollback dogs on a Millennium train in pairs of 2 underneath car 1, car 4, & car 9. There's a separate tire for each rollback that spins a magnetic wheel causing the rollbacks to lift up. So when the train stops, a tire goes bald, or a tire goes flat the rollbacks drop and I agree it sounds like the train is falling apart lol. Or if the track is wet or it's raining the tires can slip causing the anti-rollbacks to drop at random spots going up the lift.

This might already be common knowledge, but I came across this pair of images that purports to show Philly and NYC from Kingda Ka. It's visually distant, but I thought it was a pretty cool fun fact if it's true.

You can see Philly from Zumanjaro and Nitro on a clear day. I've never seen NYC from the park before, but I suppose the only way you could is if you were on Ka's tower.