TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why they call Joker-style coasters "4D" coasters? Though you gain spinning, you're losing lateral movement, so really the car still just moves in 3 directions.

At the park now. Joker is operating just fine.

Just finished riding it for the first time. OMG, this ride is nuts!! It really disoriented me and my brother. I'm not joking (pardon the pun) when I say that this is a truly unique ride experience that you have to try for yourself.

Not saying it's a world-class, destination coaster like El Toro, but I'd reconsider dismissing it prematurely if I were you!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why they call Joker-style coasters "4D" coasters? Though you gain spinning, you're losing lateral movement, so really the car still just moves in 3 directions.

It's really just a marketing term Arrow invented that stuck. Don't read too much into it.

The original 4D did/does move laterally.

Is it just a rumor that Joker will be available for flashpass platinum only? I haven't found any good info from the six flags site, so any extra info is greatly appreciated.

I passed by the Flash Pass center on my way to the Joker, and there was a sign out front that said (paraphrasing) "Ride the Joker with your Platinum Flash Pass!". Don't have a photo of it, unfortunately, but it does line up with how the chain treats their new marquee attractions.

I got two rides in today, once on each side. It is fun, definitely nowhere near as painful as GM:FF. That being said, the ride experience is really short (about 26 seconds from top of lift hill to return to station), and it's a total crapshoot whether or not you spin a little or a lot. On the green side, I got two full revolutions and some really heavy partial spins, but the purple side I only experienced a single 180 and just gentle rocking for the remainder of the ride. I won't be rushing back to get more rerides in, but it's still a good addition and the view from up top is great. And I'm sure once my kid manages to get up to 48", he's going to love it!

Um... You do know no matter what direction it moves, it can only move in three dimensions, right? I mean I don't want to disappoint you but...

I ended up going tonight, got inside a hit after 830 and the lines were no longer then 20 mins for it. I got on 3x, the green side going up first and got 3 flips, then the purple side going up first and only got 1 flip then the purple side going up second and didn't flip at all. My biggest is that it seems like it's going to be luck of the draw as to whether or not the attendant lets you choose what side you want to go on. The first guy let me go to the green side after i asked but the girl said she couldn't do that and I didn't push the issue.

I feel like it's a great ride if the line is under 30 minutes but I never see myself waiting any longer then that for it.

I was able to get 2 rides on Nitro as well to close the night out. So 5 rides in less then 90 mins. Can't complain about that.

Trust me, it just seems small in photographs. It's much bigger in person. My brother made me laugh when he saw it and commented that it seemed a bit big - all I could think of were the "it's too small" comments online.

I'm at the park too, and yea it's pretty empty. However, that seems mostly due to the weather forecast. Sky is pretty dark but we're about ten miles north of any rain bands. There's a shorter line for Joker now than there was on Friday for Season Pass Preview Day.

Kinda bummed we decided to go to Dorney instead of Great Adventure. Seems like it's a pretty good day to be there. We figured Great Adventure would be slammed, but it seems like Dorney is busier somehow.

So Memorial Day 2016:

- low crowds/everything was a walk on (a significant projected rain storm that was in NY/NJ/Philly forecast kept the crowds away, and it never rained!)

- if you like coaster marathoning, then today was your day!

- it came down to how much my body could tolerate vs. lines!

- Zumi wasn't operating (at least when I was there from 2pm- 6pm)

- Ka had a minor glitch (when I was on it).....we rolled out of the station, and sat at the launch for what felt like an hour, but it was probably 5 minutes!.....the train was rolled back into the station, got switched off the track, and replaced with the 3rd train....I HATE being contained, so not a great experience for me! But that anxiety waiting for the launch was a hell of an anxiety! It ended up being about a 10 minute wait to get things operating again- no biggie!

- Toro kicked ass! Front seat, magic seat.....you name it! I went on it plenty of times today!

- I decided to (finally) try out last year's new coaster.....and it is a "one and done" for me. I sat in the "front" seat....and couldn't wait for it to be done! I'm too old for those sort of coasters!

Sooooooooo- The Joker, right? Yeah- you are all sitting at the edge of your seats awaiting my opinion!

- looks good/great location for it

- 10 minute wait today

- I used the single-rider entrance (yes, it is towards the end of the line- makes sense IMO, otherwise- it would end up being a line all onto itself, if it were accessed immediately, and would become a "security/line cutting" issue, IMO)

- I was on the green side, facing towards the Nitro side of the park

- my expectations were low, so......it beat them! Fun little ride, and the fact it has a 48" height requirement is a good thing for the park

- I rode the purple-side later on in the day, facing out towards the log flume....I loved that view, and had some better flips vs. my 1st ride on the green side

- Bottom line for The Joker: 1) I don't consider it a coaster, so I wouldn't say it is a bad coaster (does that make any sense?), 2) it is a nice addition to the park, 3) it looks like it will be easy to market, and should help drive attendance, 4) I would expect long lines all summer. Sorry for being a "hater" on previous posts in the off-season....it was driven by my selfishness of wanting another MAJOR addition to the park (in the same tier as El Toro, Kingda Ka, and Nitro)

Sorry for those who couldn't make the time to get out to SFGA today......small crowds like this are very rare, especially with no rain!

Kinda bummed we decided to go to Dorney instead of Great Adventure. Seems like it's a pretty good day to be there. We figured Great Adventure would be slammed, but it seems like Dorney is busier somehow.

- even HH looked dead today when I pulled in.....as judged by empty stair cases! Looked like walk-on city there too!

- even HH looked dead today when I pulled in.....as judged by empty stair cases! Looked like walk-on city there too!

Glad to hear you had a good time! We got our walk on day for the season (Seems like dead days are extremely rare at Great Adventure. Most consider a "dead day" to be 20 minute waits for Toro) a few weeks ago so I'm not too upset about it.

So read some posts (Great Adventure Connoisseurs on FB) that there is less spinning on The Joker, since getting stuck on the season pass preview day.....

- I went back and looked at the testing footage compared to how it is running now, and it looks that way to me

- Same vs. the one in Texas, IMO

Anyone have any insight on this?