TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I'm from Boston and made my first trip down to SFGA a month ago.. man I loved the park. I wish it was my home park. Fantastic collection of coasters, so many different styles. Gotta say El Toro was my favorite hands down. I had an interesting experience on it and I was curious to as if this happens often or not. Went on it right at the end of the night, got right back in line for a second ride just before the park closed (I believe it was the second to last ride of the night). We were going up the blazing fast lift hill and about 85% of the way up it just completely stopped. Hear the big clank of the train locking into place and we are just sitting there. Probably about 30 seconds, and then the train went on its merry way. Is this a normal thing? Never experiencing any sort of breakdown on a coaster before it was kind of freaky. Also noticed Zumanjaro the next day go up and get stopped halfway. Damn glad I wasn't on that at that time.

Anyways, love SFGA and can't wait to get back. Planning a trip Mid-June, hoping the weather holds out for that particular weekend.

I'm from Boston and made my first trip down to SFGA a month ago.. man I loved the park. I wish it was my home park. Fantastic collection of coasters, so many different styles. Gotta say El Toro was my favorite hands down. I had an interesting experience on it and I was curious to as if this happens often or not. Went on it right at the end of the night, got right back in line for a second ride just before the park closed (I believe it was the second to last ride of the night). We were going up the blazing fast lift hill and about 85% of the way up it just completely stopped. Hear the big clank of the train locking into place and we are just sitting there. Probably about 30 seconds, and then the train went on its merry way. Is this a normal thing? Never experiencing any sort of breakdown on a coaster before it was kind of freaky. Also noticed Zumanjaro the next day go up and get stopped halfway. Damn glad I wasn't on that at that time.

Anyways, love SFGA and can't wait to get back. Planning a trip Mid-June, hoping the weather holds out for that particular weekend.

This is extraordinarily normal and was probably done deliberately. They always seem to stop the second to last train of the night on the way up the lift. There has to be a reason for it, and the only person here who knows (Ryan) probably can't tell you what that is. Usually at the end of the night (probably because of the ride's valleying problems) they roll a train out of the station, stop it before it leaves the drive tires, roll the last train in, reverse the train in the station into the transfer track once it unloads and then reverse the train that's sticking out of the station back into the station. I don't know why they would need to (seemingly) block stop a train on top of the lift before they do that but I assume the 2 things are somehow related.

I wonder how many people will come to the park this year and go "WOW I never knew Great Adventure was next to a lake!"

I tried not to bust out laughing at this I swear. I always forget it's next to a lake because the only rides I can see the lake from are Zuminjaro and Nitro, other than that you'd never guess it was next to such a big beautiful lake!

This is extraordinarily normal and was probably done deliberately. They always seem to stop the second to last train of the night on the way up the lift. There has to be a reason for it, and the only person here who knows (Ryan) probably can't tell you what that is. Usually at the end of the night (probably because of the ride's valleying problems) they roll a train out of the station, stop it before it leaves the drive tires, roll the last train in, reverse the train in the station into the transfer track once it unloads and then reverse the train that's sticking out of the station back into the station. I don't know why they would need to (seemingly) block stop a train on top of the lift before they do that but I assume the 2 things are somehow related.

Quite interesting, but I guess it must make sense somewhere along the line. Regardless, still loved the ride and can't wait to get back on. Just glad I wasn't on Zumanjaro when that was stuck. Considering that was mid-day I am guessing there is more of an issue with that one.

Prospertown Lake is really looking like its old self lately, too. For a few years there the water table was so low that many parts of it looked like a giant mud pit rather than a lake.

Quite interesting, but I guess it must make sense somewhere along the line. Regardless, still loved the ride and can't wait to get back on. Just glad I wasn't on Zumanjaro when that was stuck. Considering that was mid-day I am guessing there is more of an issue with that one.

Zumanjaro has been getting stuck constantly mid-ride this season. They either sit there for awhile and eventually drop them or just lower them slowly. I wish they'd just shut it down until they figure out the problem because every time it happens Kingda Ka has to go down too until they lower the cars and close the flaps. On both of our visits this year it's happened multiple times just when we happened to be looking at it.

I hate that rule they have for Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro! It makes both of the ride wait times longer. It is however such a great efficient use of space. I wish the queue and pathway leading to the ride was set up where you could walk under Kingda Ka and queue in the middle instead of the current set up where you walk to the drop Tower around Kingda Ka....

I agree, but NJ is a stupid state sometimes....

I do look forward to what we can assume will be an expansion of the park past Ka's tower in the future... It just seems to be the perfect spot to expand since it's already void of most trees and can be easily accessed from Bizaro and Ka....

I hate that rule they have for Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro! It makes both of the ride wait times longer. It is however such a great efficient use of space. I wish the queue and pathway leading to the ride was set up where you could walk under Kingda Ka and queue in the middle instead of the current set up where you walk to the drop Tower around Kingda Ka....

Its like the thread suddenly timewarped back to 2014.

I agree, but NJ is a stupid state ALL THE TIME....

I do look forward to what we can assume will be an expansion of the park past Ka's tower in the future... It just seems to be the perfect spot to expand since it's already void of most trees and can be easily accessed from Bizaro and Ka....

Fixed

Its like the thread suddenly timewarped back to 2014.

QFT

If you stopped at the top of the lift for a little, it was most likely because the train on the brakes hadn't fully pulled into the station yet. Little known fact, we can not move trains with guests in the exit platform at all. So even if a guest is behind both the exit gate and chain, they still have to be outside the building when we are dispatching and advancing trains. So occasionally we have to stop advancing a train causing the train on the lift to stop.

And yes, we do try to avoid sending the last train of the night empty. Maintenance has their tricks.

Anyone else here? My buddy got sick after laps on Toro and bizarro and went to sleep it off in his car.lines arent bad. Makking my way through nitro queue now.

Busy but not terrible. 20 min wait for Toro just now. Walked on skull before this. Currently stuck on brake run of Toro. Difficulties. :/