TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

It was pointed out elsewhere that on the rides page of the website a ton of flats and kiddie rides say "temporarily closed" or "not open yet". Most of the coasters (most notably Toro) do not say this so I think we're good. I'm still trying to get there opening day. I'll be severely disappointed if I don't get to hear the Intamin fart, but considering its been closed since November they've had plenty of time for annual maintenance I'm not worried.

I just need to ride a freaking coaster at this point.

feelme.gif.02110ce7650c0733b3e9a91ff1725133.gif

And where did you hear that? If that's true it's total BS. They knew the park was opening in March (I mean, they made the schedule) If they truly have to close on days they're scheduled to be open, they have no one to blame but themselves.

But then again, there's still two weeks to go and they're having a job fair this Sunday. I'm not going to worry yet.

If that's true (which without a source or anything to back that claim up I don't believe for a second) the park will staff the coasters as that is their biggest draw anyway. I'm really not worried. And if they really do close those days? Unless I'm there the day of and they give no warning, it's really not the end of the world.

This brings to light one thing that I don't get about Six Flags.

Cedar Fair understands that the best way to make people happy is to under promise and over deliver. For example, last year Cedar Point had a passholder preview night. They released a list of rides that would be open. Half way through the night they got Dragster going which wasn't supposed to open and opened it up and tweeted that Dragster was open which everyone got really excited about. Sky Ride wasn't supposed to be open but it wasn't windy but they opened that up too! These are the kind of things you should do. Not realize you're going to be understaffed and let everyone know last minute that "Opening Day presented by Allegra" is now "Preview Day presented by Allegra" with limited ride availability.

They do the same thing with their hours. They say they're open until Midnight but then close lines early. At Cedar Fair parks when they're really busy they sometimes extend hours (usually during haunt events) and at Cedar Point they give you a grace period at all major rides and close the lines after park closing. Under promise and over deliver. That way everyone's happy.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their business but I wish they'd adopt that idea. I would think guests would be much happier to embrace it.

How much does a Cedar Fair season pass cost?

How much does a Six Flags season pass cost?

You have to pay more to get more.

Edited by larrygator

With all due respect I fail to see how the cost of the ticket is relevant here. I'm not talking about paint, maintenance or anything that would increase operating expenses (except the grace period thing but I'm not calling for that, just honesty about when ride lines close).

It would cost the park a grand total of zero dollars and zero time investment to speak of to be upfront about their hours and ride availability.

I'm not making a huge deal about this but those seem like common sense requests, wouldn't you agree?

About Nitro or Superman being repainted, I would love to see both repainted, but im slightly leaning towards SOME of Nitro to be repainted. By some, I mean the queue to be redone, that ugly station to be redone, and the predrop and lift hill to be repainted. No other parts of Nitro really need to be repainted besides the predrop and lift. I also think theres a slight possibility that they could just say F*** it and just repaint the whole ride with a whole new set of colors because people have been asking for years for new colors and repaint, so the park would be knocking out two birds with one stone

im slightly leaning towards SOME of Nitro to be repainted

I agree, they should paint the helix. Just the helix. Just to screw with people.

We all know they should just paint the MCBR, just the MCBR. The MCBR is a waaaay more important part of Nitro than that stupid helix. Its easily the most exciting part of the whole coaster

Since when does Nitro have a pre-drop?

^ We can safely report that stopping completely on the MCBR is brutally painful but sitting out there in the woods in the freezing dark waiting to be released from Nitro's death grip can be incredibly fun with a trainful of looney toons who are marathoning an 80mph hyper coaster in 30 degree temps on the last operating day of the year.

Lol some lady even offered everyone else on the train chicken nuggets. Not sure why she had chicken nuggets or why she decided to break then out and offer them to everyone on the train while we were stuck on the midcourse of a hyper coaster at night in January but it was pretty damn funny.

... Needless to say we didn't eat the chicken nuggets

Lol some lady even offered everyone else on the train chicken nuggets. Not sure why she had chicken nuggets or why she decided to break then out and offer them to everyone on the train while we were stuck on the midcourse of a hyper coaster at night in January but it was pretty damn funny.

I'm dying

Someone on or off the train?

With all due respect I fail to see how the cost of the ticket is relevant here. I'm not talking about paint, maintenance or anything that would increase operating expenses (except the grace period thing but I'm not calling for that, just honesty about when ride lines close).

It would cost the park a grand total of zero dollars and zero time investment to speak of to be upfront about their hours and ride availability.

I'm not making a huge deal about this but those seem like common sense requests, wouldn't you agree?

My apologies. Based on what you posted I was commenting on the aspect of extra hours, but agree with you that a park should be upfront about hours and ride availability.

At Cedar Fair parks when they're really busy they sometimes extend hours (usually during haunt events) and at Cedar Point they give you a grace period at all major rides and close the lines after park closing.

Someone on or off the train?

On the train. We got stopped on the midcourse (likely because it was thirtysomething degrees and Nitro was having none of it anymore) 30 minutes before closing and everyone on the train was out of their minds on adrenaline and freezing our a$$es off. No one had been getting on or off the train, everyone staked out their seats and were riding til they kicked us off. Anyways, we're stopped out there waiting for a crew member to drive out there and manually release the brake. We were in the back row and everyone was laughing and yelling nonsense out on the MCBR and this girl in the row in front of us mentioned she had chicken nuggets (in her pocket??) and asked everyone if they wanted some. I completely forgot about this since that night is a blur of insane, numbing Nitro endurance test but I now specifically remember her trying to pass some sort of food container/bag/something to us and laughing about it and politely declining. And then the train cheering in unison as we slooooooowly made it over each of the bunnyhops back to the station.

Bill got some great on-rides from that night, he should post them. LOL

Looks like Blackbeard Quinn did indeed get a fresh coat of paint.

I hereby declare this ride to be referred to as Crazy Train and only as Crazy Train from this point forward.

Six Flags definitely loves green and purple this year! I can't wait to eventually ride one of these S&S versions--the Intamin version at SFMM is such a hit and miss when it comes to comfort; these S&S versions seem much better in that regard.

I hope these little FreeSpins become a trend in the US like the Premier Sky Rockets. They're unique little coasters with a small footprint that may hit the price point for many parks.