TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Honestly, It's probably in Great Adventure's best interest to just come out and say how much doing this will cost. I think everyone is massively underestimating the cost AND feasibility covering the parking lot with solar panels.

By my calculations, the total amount of land at Great Adventure that is parking lots is around 85.39 acres including the employee lot, overflow parking, and Hurricane Harbor lots.

1197989717_Screenshot(16).thumb.png.c17eff683eab51ec44db1e46a0bfb09c.png

Now we have to remember that parking lot panels don't cover that whole area - if they went with the standard design of the panels like the ones below, you'd probably be getting maybe 50% of the lot covered in solar - or roughly 43 acres (I'm just gonna round up for simplicity). Which is significantly less than what they'd be able to get from the current plan.

Rutgers covered 32 acres of parking lot in 2011 back for $40 million - if you adjust that for the drop in price for solar (since 2011, prices have gone down by half), you're looking at a price of $26.875 Million. You also have to add on the costs to renovate the parking lot to install the panels (which password121 mentioned being possibly around $10 million). That's going to end up at nearly $37 million for the cost of doing the parking lots that would probably only put out 2/3 the power of what they would get from the panels in the woods. Honestly, I'd also guess that my estimates are probably being quite generous and I wouldn't be shocked if the costs were even more, possibly up to the $40+ million range.

Additionally, it seems like the going rate for standard solar is roughly $500 thousand per acre (Source 1,Source 2). For Six Flags, that would be $30 million for the 60 acres, which also gives you 33% more power output. For the equivalent amount of power, from the parking lot panels, they'd probably need to get up into the $50 to nearly $60 million dollar range.

As much as I agree that doing the parking lot solar would make more sense, its just not a good financial option for Six Flags.

As far as I know, Six Flags isn't paying for it. I heard that an outside company is footing the bill and doing the work; the park is just providing the land and reaping the benefit.

Edit: After reading the initial press release, from last March, I believe I'm mistaken. Although the outside company (KDC Solar) will indeed own and operate the facility, I'm sure the park is paying them. Not sure where I heard what I mentioned initially; might have just been me having a brain fart.

^ That, and much less of a risk of damage. I believe the park when they say the parking lot isn't viable. People are idiots, they will find a way to either damage the panels or themselves were they to be built in the lot.

Like I said earlier, with both sides digging their heels in and unable to compromise, this project will probably fall by the wayside.

I personally hope they reconsider the placement of the panels. Using renewable energy to power a park sounds environmentally great, but that probably would not make up for the loss of trees and habitat for the ecosystem caused by the deforestation. I think parking lots are a great idea for the panels. Since parking lots are already impervious surfaces that increase stormwater runoff, why not at least slap some solar panels over them to make up for the fact it's already negatively impacting the environment. Another thing is that the shade would be very nice in the summer! As far as human violation of solar panels, I think that is truly a minor concern. I definitely would not put it past someone as people lack respect these days, but if they are high enough off the ground there should be little to worry about. My college campus has them installed in our lots and even if someone were to crash their car into one of the structural beams, the car would most likely take all the damage assuming they are traveling at parking lot speeds. I would just hate to see all of those matured trees removed.

I also think that parking lot panels can work. If they can have solar panels over Lincoln Financial Field's parking lots with (Dumb Drunk Eagles fans), then they can have them anywhere. Im not sure of the specific size of the area, but it says the Eagles put 30 million in for 11,000 panels. Six Flags could always do the parking lot in phases over so many years so they get some money back before buying another section.

From Screamscape:

Six Flags - (2/26/16) Six Flags may be planning another LARGE roller coaster for one of the parks in the chain, as they have filed paperwork to trademark the name "TITAN" for a future ride. To date Six Flags has only used the "Titan" name once, at Six Flags over Texas for the sister ride of Magic Mountain's Goliath.

With the only other "Titan" in Texas, you can count that they wont use that name again at Fiesta Texas, so look for the name to possibly drop at one of the parks more likely to add a new coaster in 2017 like SF Magic Mountain, SF New England, SF Over Georgia or maybe even La Ronde.

If they go the "Jersey" route, I think we can all agree Jersey Devil sounds best.

El Diablo is already used, which means "The Devil" in Spanish.

From Screamscape:

Six Flags - (2/26/16) Six Flags may be planning another LARGE roller coaster for one of the parks in the chain, as they have filed paperwork to trademark the name "TITAN" for a future ride.

With the only other "Titan" in Texas, you can count that they wont use that name again at Fiesta Texas, so look for the name to possibly drop at one of the parks more likely to add a new coaster in 2017 like SF Magic Mountain, SF New England, SF Over Georgia or maybe even La Ronde.

Also, Six Flags New England is using Goliath.

Cool! Thanks for confirming that we will "finally" get a major addition at SFGA!

I've grown tired of the carnival rides that they've been trying to pass off as coasters to the GP, which includes the newest install for 2016.......