TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I think if I rode Kingda Ka more often I would probably dislike it more outside of the front row. The front row itself is amazing and worth waiting for (I'd wait an hour for it easily). Boldikus if you liked Dragster just get yourself up front on Ka--it's ridiculous how much better it is.

This, so this.

I've always found Dragster and Kingda Ka to be underwhelming in every row but row 1. There was a point where we went years without riding Ka because it wasn't worth waiting for. Then one day we got there early and figured we might as well ride it since it didn't have a line yet and as we were the first people in the station we went to row 1. Ever since I've never ridden Dragster or Kingda Ka in any other seat, it's absolutely mind blowing in row 1. Every time we ride it up there we just look at eachother when the ride is over trying to figure out WTF just happened to us. Of course it's now a must-ride on every visit.

PS: Row 1 is also perfectly smooth.

^ And I haven't done the safari since I was a kid and monkeys tore up my dads stationwagon. #greatadvconfessions

I have to say, we did the Safari on the TPR Trip in 2014 and I was SUPER Impressed. I've actually saw more animals than I do on the Disney Safari at Animal Kingdom.

There is a giraffe there named Marietta, and she is a Diva.

Nice to see Batman getting so much love. That thing will rip your face off!

I don't know what they've done to it, but the last 2 years it has felt like Bruce Wayne mixed 5 Hour Energy with 2 Red Bulls and sniffed a line of coke before throwing on the Batsuit...in other words, it's been running insanely fast these 2 years!! And I'm saying that with 17 years of having a season pass as an enthusiast. Every transition feels snappier and more forceful than ever. I wonder if other people with different SF homeparks have noticed the same thing with their own B:TR clones?

Okay so everyone stop whatever you're doing because the cuteness of this is more important... and I don't throw the word "cute" around lightly, or really ever...

-----------------

Unusual Litter Mates Being Raised Together at Six Flags Great Adventure: Adorable Tiger and Lion Cubs

Spots and stripes have taken over the nursery at Six Flags Great Adventure’s safari as the veterinary team welcomes a Siberian tiger cub, the first tiger birth at the safari in 13 years, and an African lion cub. What makes the situation so unique is that for the first time, the team is hand raising the two fuzzy, female “big cats” as one litter, despite being two species that would typically never meet in the wild as they are native to different continents.

“Within a week, two first-time mothers gave birth to healthy cubs but failed to care for them, so we stepped in,” said Dr. Ken Keiffer, a Six Flags veterinarian. The lion was born Nov. 19 and weighed 3 lbs., and the tiger followed on Thanksgiving and weighed 2.4 lbs. The Six Flags veterinary team became surrogate mothers to the cubs, feeding them up to six times each day. According to Keiffer, the two are doing very well and have yet to be named.

“Raising the cubs together helps to develop their socialization skills, and will enhance their chances of being successfully introduced to their own species at the safari when they are a bit older,” Keiffer said.

The cats play, eat and snuggle together, and are also learning to find their voices and personalities. According to Keiffer, the lion cub is much more relaxed while the tiger cub is far more dominant and vocal.

Siberian tigers are on the endangered species list, and tigers rank as the world’s largest living cats. Approximately 3,200 are estimated to live in the wild. The new cub is the fifth Siberian tiger at the safari. African lions are the second largest living cat in the world, number less than 19,000 in the wild and are now being protected under the endangered species act, said safari Director and Chief Veterinarian Bill Rives. Several healthy African lion cubs have been born in the Six Flags safari during the last few years, and the new cub is the 20th lion at the safari.

- See more at: https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/newsroom/january-12-2016#sthash.SiMOFfab.dpuf

12493917_10153347003803513_5208705658326012107_o.jpg

Edited by coasterbill

Those things are adorable. I wonder if they'll have them on display at Camp Adventura like they had the other cub this past season. Guess it's an excuse for me to ride the safari again this coming year.

Or at least in the mini safari walk through where Scarlet and Spot were very popular a few years ago

I do agree that Kindga Ka front row provides one of the best ride experiences anywhere. Besides that though, it is just a 25 million dollar mechanical issue.

But is it anymore than TTD? I thought both had similar downtime and I never hear people complaining about dragster.

(I personally think front row rides make up for all of that)

Edited by rcjp

I do agree that Kindga Ka front row provides one of the best ride experiences anywhere. Besides that though, it is just a 25 million dollar mechanical issue.

But is it anymore than TTD? I thought both had similar downtime and I never hear people complaining about dragster.

(I personally think front row rides make up for all of that)

Dragster and Kingda Ka are on a leash now. They both break down frequently throughout the day but they're almost never closed for an entire day unless it's due to high winds or rain. Dragster itself breaks more frequently than Kingda Ka but only because it cycles about twice as many trains per hour thanks to Zumanjaro and the loading processes of each ride (Dragster loads 2 trains at once). Kingda Ka is also frequently unable to launch because Zumanjaro is broken with the retractable roofs up but maintenance usually makes quick work of that.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of Zumanjaro. I love the views and speed as you get close to the bottom of the drop, but there is zero airtime or "suddeness" to the drop. Personally, I much prefer Intamin 1st gen freefalls, S&S and Larson towers. Still a good ride that filled a huge void since the departure of Freedall

Look guys, relax. LOL. All I said was it was the 2nd best drop in the park, I wasn't comparing it to other drop rides. I'm sure there is a thread buried on this forum where we can rank drop towers we've ridden lol.

I know folks around here aren't the biggest fans of the new Intamin drop towers. I get it. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Intamin 1st gens and lucky enough to have one an hour away at Dorney. I'm also a huge fan of S&S (also at Dorney) and Larson (I can ride one at Moreys or Knoebels) towers as the S&S's definitely provide more airtime and the Larsons a more sudden "WTF!" feeling.

But nothing can compare to Zum's view, the length of the fall, and the speed at which you are going when you reach the brakes. Zum absolutely trumps any other drop tower I've been on for those reasons alone. Not to mention to openness of the restraints - Zum basically has a lapbar. Also, I kinda like that the drop starts off almost mild and only gets more intense as you fall. Its a totally different experience than the other drop rides mentioned but my point is none of them are at Great Adv.

So, as far as drops at Great Adv, its my 2nd favorite after Toro.

In fact just out of boredom, my ten favorite *drops* at the park (not considering any of the rest of each ride):

El Toro

Zumanjaro

Nitro

Kingda Ka (only good part of the ride)

Batman (specifically in the back of the train)

Skull Mountain

Green Lantern (as much as I trash it I do love the first drop/loop)

Superman

Bizarro (love the ride but the drop is the lamest part - I enjoy the drop off the midcourse more)

Runaway Mine Train (both the drop off the helix and airtime hill over the lake)

Boldikus- enough of you defending of Zumi, and get focused on pulling together our tally of votes!

(Please don't take me seriously!)

That said- I didn't realize that Zumi was as well-liked as ranked on our posts......I like it, but also agree that there is no "oh sh@?" moment as you'd expect, but so be it! My first time on it was awesome BTW.....I couldn't believe how high up,we were, and remember feeling what was a "pause" before one more quick push to the top!

That said- I love taking "first timers" on it!

Um, is this new? And what does the front car have to do with anything? And how come it seems the SM crew usually doesn't check my restraint at all? Did the Mountain finally eject a guest? Has the park become hip to our little secret? Is this real life?

*don't bother asking me why I was on the Skull Mountain page.

skullm.jpg.8c620d4536d73a92492a6e12647d4b69.jpg