TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

They have a waffle cart over by the tree (which is usually the fountain). It's amazing. Order one of everything, and I know what you're going to think when you get there... I can add ice cream for a few extra dollars? Why would I pay extra? And it's cold... do I want ice cream? Nah that's okay I don't need the ice cream.

Stop... You don't need that kind of negativity in your life. Get the damn ice cream.

So who's closing out the final weekend of the season IN JANUARY!?! I will most likely be there Friday and Sunday. Anyone in agreement that even tho sunny skies are predicted that it will be pretty quiet Friday? At least in the afternoon?? I mean its New Years Day - I'm thinking many hangovers and of course in Philly its the Mummers parade. I'm thinking/hoping it should be quiet. Looks like it was deserted today. I am so itching to get some good riding in and of course that coveted Pointsettia Peak credit LOLZ. And eat a damn waffle!!!

Oh and in case you all forgot THE OFF SEASON IS LESS THAN 90 DAYS. CAN I GET AN AMEN? 90 FREAKING DAYS TIL WE RIDE THE BULL AGAIN!

I can't wait to ride that doggone El Toro.

They have a waffle cart over by the tree (which is usually the fountain). It's amazing. Order one of everything, and I know what you're going to think when you get there... I can add ice cream for a few extra dollars? Why would I pay extra? And it's cold... do I want ice cream? Nah that's okay I don't need the ice cream.

Stop... You don't need that kind of negativity in your life. Get the damn ice cream.

Thanks for the tip, I'm sold. And any weather is ice cream weather. I once drove through a blizzard to get a milkshake.

And any weather is ice cream weather.

You have no idea how many times I've had this internal conversation with myself. In fact, I thought those exact words at the corner store just two nights ago. #fatkidprobs

Also I recommend the Jack Frost show. It's at the Showcase Theater, and was a very enjoyable Christmas-themed magic show, that contained quite extreme stunts.

Nice little "surprise" to see this show- we enjoyed it too! My wife was confused walking towards the theater- she was like, "when did this area close!" and "wasn't this where Freefall was?"

Decided to drive down yesterday because I was in need of some roller coaster therapy and only got to go to Six Flags once during the summer.

I can't stand riding GL with a passion but I figured since no one was there might as well just go for it and immediately regretted it once the headbanging started. However before I rode, I stood in the queue walkway for a solid 10 minutes watching and listening to the train roar by. I was still in shock that it was December and not a chilly fall night. Plus I worked at Dorney all summer, so I wasn't able to hear the B&M roar at all.

Then I headed over to the other side of the park to get that valuable Poinsettia Peak credit. Of course when I got to Nitro and walked through the entrance it broke down. So I hopped on Batman and Dark Knight for a few laps and some other flat rides. Sky Screamer was pretty chilly but definitely worth it to get the birds eye view of all the lights. After about a half hour, Nitro reopened and I played musical chairs getting to re-ride 4 times until my fingers were frozen.

I wasn't going to spend any money on food but, I decided to try a waffle like everyone has mentioned and it was totally worth it! I timed it out right to watch the Tree Light show which was definitely one of a kind. Overall, it was definitely a great event and pretty cool to see the place all decorated for Christmas. I'd also like to thank the rain earlier in the day for keeping the crowd level at a minimum and helping me get 15 rides in 2 hours.

S:UF- 2x

GL- 1x

Nitro- 5x

Skull...Poinsettia Peak- 2x

Batman- 3x

DK - 2x

I took a visit to the Holiday event yesterday from about 3:30 to 7 and I have to say I was very impressed. It was a fun day, we rode Nitro and Batman numerous times with virtually no wait. Batman was incredible, giving faster rides than I can remember from the summer. The park was clean, had music and a nice light display. I was also impressed by them putting out fire pits, it added a nice touch.

IMG_0830.thumb.JPG.f075136ff131ca7dec0ade3be6cfe4e2.JPG

Tweeted this to TPR yesterday.

IMG_0836.thumb.JPG.325c74cd1fc23524b3e54859e2590fa7.JPG

I accompanied JCoaster to the park yesterday, and I have to echo his sentiment. I'm on record on these boards doubting Great Adventure would be able to pull a Holiday event off, but after yesterday I'm gladly eating my words. The lights were very nice, the music was a nice touch, and it was overall a very enjoyable atmosphere. The coasters were running well, and crowds were light.

One minor quibble I have is with Poinsetta Peak. The lights made it look like the Skull was bleeding from its eyes, and the ride itself still had its heavy rock and spooky noises soundtrack blasting. I thought they had decorated the inside of the ride as well.

One minor quibble I have is with Poinsetta Peak. The lights made it look like the Skull was bleeding from its eyes

How is this a quibble?! Skull Mountain should always be bleeding out of its eyes!!!! I think thats the only possible way they could make it even more ridiculously awesome!

The park is empty so far today, I guess a lot of people have other plans today. They just made an announcement that at 8:45 at the tree in the front of the park there will be a New Year's Eve celebration but I'll be gone before then to see what it is.

Lol why are people ways so surprised when the park is empty the first few hours of the day? It's been like that almost every day of Holiday in the Park. Crowds always pick up around dusk.

Ditto! From my "experience"......that is how it's been during this event. Hit it up early for coasters!

Lol why are people ways so surprised when the park is empty the first few hours of the day? It's been like that almost every day of Holiday in the Park. Crowds always pick up around dusk.

Yesterday was the opposite. It wasn't crowded by any means when I arrived at 3, but by 5:30-6, there was a steady stream of people leaving (as seen from the stairs on Green Lantern), with not one car coming through the toll booths.

Third visit to Holiday in the Park is now in the books. Was there from 1:30 til about 5pm today. It was COLD. The sun peaked out a few times but not for long and the temps stayed in the 40s and then dipped into the 30s (was 37 when we left) and it was mostly cloudy, and very windy at times.

All coasters running, managed to get on almost everything at least once and a bunch of laps on Nitro. My last two trips to HITP were in the late afternoon and evening on much milder days so was nice to feel like we had the place to ourselves. When we first arrived went straight to Nitro and was a total walkon but they only had the first four rows open since it was crawling over the hills. Stayed seated for lap 2. Even though it was crawling they were still great rides.

Got the coveted Poinsettia Peak credit which we walked right onto the back row had almost the entire train to ourselves. Stayed on for 2nd ride in same row. Then over for one lap on Batman and I'M FAT! Why can't I fit into these inverts anymore?! First Talon and now Batman. This was never a problem until recently. No walk of shame - kudos to the two hilarious ride ops who got a little workout squeezing me in there. Batman felt extremely fast compared to usual, wondering why. Great as always. Almost tried Dark Knight but actually had a line.

After stopping to check ToteMay construction (just lots of footers, though the surrounding area seems to be taking shape somewhat), we went for Superman back row (walkon) and holy crap the whip through that pretzel loop never gets old. I was then convinced we should ride Green Lantern since no one else was and we almost went for the front but since they were running one train (as was Superman and Batman) we just jumped on row 2 in stead of waiting a cycle. Horrible horrible horrible. Green Lantern is horrible. First ride in almost two years and that's where that relationship ends. I will never ride it again. I tried the ride-with-your-head-sticking-forward "trick" some have suggested and sorry but that's bullsh*t I still got clocked multiple times on either side of my head. After the MCBR I have never wanted a coaster to end so badly.

We were hungry and had some munchies at Nathans. Short wait, good service, food was great. Then back to Nitro for a couple more laps (now allowing riders in all rows, so both laps in the back). After our second of two laps the train dispatching after ours got stuck about 20 feet up the lift. Lots of gawking and pointing ensued. We shrugged and agreed we had good timing, snapped a pic, and decided it was finally waffle time. OMG people believe the hype. I got the "La Nutty" or whatever with nutella, hazelnuts, bananas, whipped cream and of course said yes when that smooth French broad asked in her sensual accent if I wanted the ice cream. Then, "would you like to try our delicious hot chocolate?". Hell yes. These women could have sold me anything.

It was about 4:30 and getting dark so we snagged a bench near Johnny Rockets facing the big fancy tree and got to watch the entire show while I slowly enjoyed my life altering waffle and hot chocolate. It was now freezing, we rode everything we wanted and were able to enjoy a bit of the lights with the sun going down. It also felt like the crowds were starting to stream in so we just called it a day. Hoping to get back on Sunday for closing day, but even if I don't today was a great way to start a new year.

I got a new phone so I have some better than usual pics to share lol.

Nitro 4x

Pointsettia Peak 2x

Batman 1x

Superman 1x

Green Lantern 1x

01.thumb.jpg.99919488c1d07970ca18d3a18bf3aca9.jpg

First stop

02.thumb.jpg.d1b5d2627160b38d26a7241568cc4f1d.jpg

Batman was hauling

03.jpg.d366b6ab2d715f9efa284e203ad5d3fd.jpg

Oh but of course.

04.jpg.9ceb8763f0919c70864ae5dbdbcaac6c.jpg

Quiet early. I live for crowds like this.

05.jpg.9d3197f4a2fde658a523e905046d992d.jpg

ToteMay Footers.

06.thumb.jpg.4b1f9fe09b534eb3775a6369db6a9219.jpg

Superman: Ultimate Ghost Town

07.thumb.jpg.9746d3e050cb032fea1b634d3f57d669.jpg

Six Flags: Ugly Overpriced Xmas Sweater

08.thumb.jpg.1128e02a58ad56a9d1f18ebca062a7e9.jpg

Oh god no.

09.jpg.8f9f0edc435fd5cd8c51170996751e97.jpg

Yum.

10.jpg.2b66ba9920d176152bce1889930dc619.jpg

Couple more laps.

11.jpg.24e8ac556b958424b81c7257240becaa.jpg

Note the ToteMay supports

12.thumb.jpg.ce60ddbace70b3320547feb0be1a2e98.jpg

Train stuck on lift. "Oooo ahhh" said the onlookers.

13.jpg.fefdb0911aee4e24593c2319f73b94a7.jpg

Happy New Years

14.jpg.bcf0d3507ccd049702e8d83a9d0903c9.jpg

OMFG

15.jpg.2d74b3e77aea1adaf36db78372681a24.jpg

Laterz