TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^ I saw multiple posts online that the park extended their hours to 10pm last night.

The event is obviously a success, I'm stoked about that but more about the fact that it should be much better next year. Clearly the weather is helping immensely, they've gotten really lucky with that so far. I just hope they hire A LOT more people next year for this and open more areas of the park to spread the crowds out. Even if its just BBNP and Frontier, since RMT, Skyway and Bizarro could open. Having Plaza Del Carnival would be nice for obvious reasons but I would be totally OK with Golden Kingdom being closed again next year. And open more food places! They need to have every single place in the Boardwalk open - food and games. I haven't been back there since Black Friday but half of it was closed which I thought was weird, lame, and a huge missed opportunity for money making, not to mention spreading the crowds out. And I wonder if ToteMay will be open for this next year since it sits basically right behind the giant tree in the fountain on Main St.

I got some great riding in between 2:00 and 3:30 yesterday - everything was station wait or even walk-on. Then between 3:30 and 4:00 it's like someone opened the flood gates. I've never seen a park fill up that quickly, totally crazy. Got in one last lap on Nitro around 4:00 with only a 10minute wait. Then checked out Batman and Poinsettia queues.... totally slammed... so I bounced.

It was literally 70F according to my car. Walking around in a t-shirt was really weird with the holiday atmosphere.

And open more food places! They need to have every single place in the Boardwalk open - food and games. I haven't been back there since Black Friday but half of it was closed which I thought was weird, lame, and a huge missed opportunity for money making, not to mention spreading the crowds out.

I agree they need more food places open or at least more workers at the places that are open. Normally on the way out of the park around 6 - 6:30 I stop and get dinner and then a snack to take home because of the dining pass. Yesterday it looked like it was going to be at least an hour wait for dinner with only 1 or 2 lines open at the places I walked past. The snack lines were bad too and it looked like many of the places had run out of snacks like the popcorn bags so I didn't bother with either (lunch was ok with only 1 person ahead of me at the Garden State Grill).

^^Well... I don't know if that was sarcastic or not but if you didn't know and the post was worded in a way that makes it seem like the person in question is well known (which it was), then I imagine it would save a lot of time to just google his name. Jim Reid-Anderson is the CEO of Six Flags.

If that was sarcastic, then my mistake and I apologize. But it wasn't the best execution.

^^Well... I don't know if that was sarcastic or not but if you didn't know and the post was worded in a way that makes it seem like the person in question is well known (which it was), then I imagine it would save a lot of time to just google his name. Jim Reid-Anderson is the CEO of Six Flags.

If that was sarcastic, then my mistake and I apologize. But it wasn't the best execution.

And open more food places! They need to have every single place in the Boardwalk open - food and games. I haven't been back there since Black Friday but half of it was closed which I thought was weird, lame, and a huge missed opportunity for money making, not to mention spreading the crowds out.

I agree they need more food places open or at least more workers at the places that are open. Normally on the way out of the park around 6 - 6:30 I stop and get dinner and then a snack to take home because of the dining pass. Yesterday it looked like it was going to be at least an hour wait for dinner with only 1 or 2 lines open at the places I walked past. The snack lines were bad too and it looked like many of the places had run out of snacks like the popcorn bags so I didn't bother with either (lunch was ok with only 1 person ahead of me at the Garden State Grill).

The park (or corporate) took a big chance on starting this event. There were a lot of unknowns, particularly the weather. It they had known how mild it would be I'm sure they would have proactively hired more employees. It's not easy to hire once all the retailers start hiring for the holiday season.

The park was most likely not willing to increase their risk by hiring to many employees and staffing too many food locations

Although all of this year's numbers point to the event being a success. However, it is still unknown what would have happened with harsher weather

1st time out of the gate, big thumbs up that this event appears to be working.....Freight Fest started out the same way, and look what that has turned into.

They just need to jump on Valentines Day and St Patty's and we could be year-round by the 2020's. "Bar Crawl in the Park" ... Summer Shandy will still be on tap. And the visible parts of Nitro finally get repainted...green w/ green supports. It will turn out that B&M's can actually run in sub-zero temps, but it won't matter because global warming will be spiraling out of control.

The future is bright, indeed.

I have a question for the experts out there (aka I have a question for Ryan). We're thinking of going Saturday but they're calling for 18 mph winds gusting up to the mid 20's. Combined with the forecast for the low 40's... What do you think the chances of Nitro operating are?

Knowing this park I would think they'll try to open it but based on our experience on opening weekend where it's a miracle it didn't valley and they ended up closing it for the day after maintenance thought it would be a good idea to send a train with no water dummies in it.

I only ask because the reason we're going again is that we're making a family trip this time and we've convinced my mom to go with us but Nitro is basically her favorite thing ever and I'd hate for it to be closed. Unfortunately Saturday is our only chance to go. Is that generally enough wind to be a problem? I believe it was windier opening weekend and I know the forecast may change but that's pretty damn windy.

Then again aside from that day you never really hear of Nitro closing for wind.

I have a question for the experts out there (aka I have a question for Ryan). We're thinking of going Saturday but they're calling for 18 mph winds gusting up to the mid 20's. Combined with the forecast for the low 40's... What do you think the chances of Nitro operating are?

Knowing this park I would think they'll try to open it but based on our experience on opening weekend where it's a miracle it didn't valley and they ended up closing it for the day after maintenance thought it would be a good idea to send a train with no water dummies in it.

I only ask because the reason we're going again is that we're making a family trip this time and we've convinced my mom to go with us but Nitro is basically her favorite thing ever and I'd hate for it to be closed. Unfortunately Saturday is our only chance to go. Is that generally enough wind to be a problem? I believe it was windier opening weekend and I know the forecast may change but that's pretty damn windy.

Then again aside from that day you never really hear of Nitro closing for wind.

I would expect Nitro to be open. Nitro doesn't often close for high winds and I believe th park currently has a fast set of wheels running on the ride. It may open a little late if it is super windy and chilly but I would expect it to open.

I have a question for the experts out there (aka I have a question for Ryan)

I like how you posted that and within less than a half hour there he is with a reasonably qualified answer. #nerds

For the record I've never waited longer than 5 minutes for food at Holiday in the Park. Anyone wanting to avoid lines...Panda Express is well staffed and the Waffle place was brought in and isn't run by Six Flags.

I have a question for the experts out there (aka I have a question for Ryan)

I like how you posted that and within less than a half hour there he is with a reasonably qualified answer. #nerds

Lol that's why I asked Ryan. He's cool like that.