TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Speaking of beer, much like Six Flags New England they still had Summer Shandy on tap on closing weekend. If this park serves me a Summer Shandy on tap during Holiday in the Park they'll officially be my new favorite park ever.

well... favorite park not named Knoebels

Summer Shandy is what rivers and lakes in heaven consist of. It's a beautiful feeling to run into the occasional case still in stock at a random store somewhere out of season (as late as winter at times).

The lights on the Ferris Wheel look horrendous. I know it's Six Flags and they don't care about things like this but they really need an LED package like the Cedar Fair parks have been getting. At the very least they should replace some bulbs.

totally agree. its looked like crap for along time. tons of bulbs out. they really need to get with the times and go with a state of the art led lighting package, that they can do designs on for different times of the year or events.

Count me in as someone wishing for an updated LED lighting system, too. The bulbs just don't cut it anymore, even if you do go through and replace each one. Visits to Cedar Point and Morey's Piers have schooled and spoiled me.

In person, the Big Wheel actually looked nice. While my opinion differs from the majority, I personally prefer old fashioned lighting to blinding LED's lights on ferris wheels. Especially being next to the very bright Sky Screamer, I feel all the Big Wheel needs is fixing the broken bulbs as opposed to redoing the system.

Count me in as someone wishing for an updated LED lighting system, too. The bulbs just don't cut it anymore, even if you do go through and replace each one. Visits to Cedar Point and Morey's Piers have schooled and spoiled me.

Totally. Dorneys looks great now too. I dig the LEDs over the old school bulbs. Looks modern and I love that they are programmable. Moreys has had the French flag up the last few days (and was green for Veterans day last week). So cool that they keep it lit throughout most the off season.

12187783_10153265295963589_6930121595688490386_n.jpg?oh=406c8607e46b9bb0802b9c7194150088&oe=56F98513

Photo from Wildwood 365

Well judging by the fact that they've never held this event before we have absolutely no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if the coasters were walks ons, I wouldn't be surprised if they had 45 minute waits. It's impossible to even begin to answer that question.
Technically they did have a holiday event about 10 years ago-but rides weren't included.The closest thing to a ride was driving past light displays in the parking lot and the safari area.....I think this was called "Holiday Lights" ....

I keep mentioning HITP to my GP friends and absolutely no one has any idea they are doing this. Most people I've mentioned it to are like "What!?!? GA is open in the winter!?!"

I haven't seen a single TV advertisement for it, though I could see them start running them this weekend once the event starts. The fact that many people are in the dark about it gives me great hope that lines for coasters will be minimal, but there is really no way to know what crowds will be like until the park is operating this weekend since they've never done this before.

Yeah I feel like they're having the Tempesto marketing team help them out with this. I can't believe they haven't advertised it at all to anyone except their current customer base with social media and in-park marketing. Who knows though... Maybe that'll work out for them.

With clear weather in the 50's this upcoming weekend.....I would expect a good crowd! Although there hasn't been any "traditional" media for this weekend, don't underestimate social media, emails, and in-park advertising that has been setup for months.

Thinking about running the 5k race on Sunday.....

Yeah I feel like they're having the Tempesto marketing team help them out with this. I can't believe they haven't advertised it at all to anyone except their current customer base with social media and in-park marketing. Who knows though... Maybe that'll work out for them.

they have been running radio ads on thunder106.3. been hearing them daily. same station they ran ff ads constantly

Harry from GAH posted a ton of pics on his website, which you can find here:

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/GATrips_Winter_2015_11_18.htm

The park looks beautiful!!! I really wish they take note and get decide to add permanent lighting around the park. What they did with the buildings on Main St is a great example of how simple lighting really adds to the atmosphere and appeal to the park's aesthetics. Can't wait for next week!

Oh...and low and behold...the great legend of Skull Mountain!!#

639113509_2015_11_18_IMG_3595copy.thumb.jpg.efbbd87f69867145e0f3eb202485fa1a.jpg

I'm still not expecting the event to be a money maker for the park, meaning I expect mostly season pass holders to attend. If that if the case I don't see it lasting more than one year. I'll probably stop by the park one weekend, just not sure which weekend.

I'm still not expecting the event to be a money maker for the park, meaning I expect mostly season pass holders to attend. If that if the case I don't see it lasting more than one year. I'll probably stop by the park one weekend, just not sure which weekend.

I give the SF management team more credit in projecting their cost for this event compared to their projected revenue to profit! We obviously don't have access to their operating numbers, however- I see this as a moneymaker. "When I was a kid", I don't recall the park operating in October- can you imagine that in this day and age! They, along with a ton of companies, have figured out how to profit on Halloween, and I believe that they will figure out how to do the same for Christmas.....and years from now, we'll be scratching our head's saying, "why didn't they start this years ago?"

Expense:

- Staffing: their #1 expense, and easy for them to figure out how much they have to spend, based on what rides and concessions they plan on opening

- Operating/Facility Costs: their #2 expense (i.e.- electricity, etc); like staffing- very predictable in terms of operating cost

- Holiday setup: purchasing of lights/installation would be a nominal expense, as they are reusable for year's to come

Profit:

- "I expect mostly season pass holders to attend. If that if the case I don't see it lasting more than one year.".....I disagree with half of your statement!

- I agree that the majority of visitors will be pass holders (60%)

- It is hard for us to tell if this event influenced additional season pass sales vs.last year; if it did- more revenue for SFGA!

- where I disagree with you is your assumption that season pass holders don't spend $$$ when they are at the park! SFGA has enough data to conclude what the average spend is for their pass holders for each visit.....hence why their business model is to get as many people as they can to get season passes! Keep bringing them back, to get $$$$$ from each visit

Bottom line: if the weather holds up (i.e.- no early winter storms, average temp around 45- 50 degrees), they will do just fine! I don't think SF would take a major expense risk during the winter in NJ!

Personally- I'm glad they are doing it.....as it should be a nice place to walk around, get food/treats, and put us in the Holiday spirit! The fact that they have rides open is a major plus in my book!