TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Ryan, do you know if there are any times when the park will actually put four ops on train duty, or are rides that normally have two pretty much stuck with two regardless? I'd think that Superman (and to a lesser extent Nitro) would really benefit from this the most on busy days. I'd say Bizarro, too, but I don't think that pulls enough of a draw anymore to justify that.

Ryan, do you know if there are any times when the park will actually put four ops on train duty, or are rides that normally have two pretty much stuck with two regardless? I'd think that Superman (and to a lesser extent Nitro) would really benefit from this the most on busy days. I'd say Bizarro, too, but I don't think that pulls enough of a draw anymore to justify that.

I think the park does this occasionally during Fright Fest if enough staffing is on hand. It's not that common here. But I believe Superman had 4 ops on the train for a majority of the summer this year. Not sure if they've been keeping up with that lately. I think all the rides in the park would benefit from having 4 on the train besides maybe Skull Mountain. That ride has the second best numbers in the park behind Nitro. El Toro comes in third.

besides maybe Skull Mountain. That ride has the second best numbers in the park behind Nitro. El Toro comes in third.

While at first I was really surprised to hear this it actually does make perfect sense. Between the fast dispatches / lack of seatbelts / incredible reliability and the fact that it can run in every type of weather I guess it makes sense. I'm sure it'll pad it's numbers a ton during Holiday in the Park.

By the way, are you working that event?

Edited by coasterbill

^ Totally get Skull Mountain. I remember last year during Fright Fest I waited in a full queue (to the entrance) and it only took twenty minutes until I was on the ride. Since the restraints are one long bar, two people are able to take separate halves of the train, further speeding up the process.

Skull Mountain is a bona fide people eater.

besides maybe Skull Mountain. That ride has the second best numbers in the park behind Nitro. El Toro comes in third.

While at first I was really surprised to hear this it actually does make perfect sense. Between the fast dispatches / lack of seatbelts / incredible reliability and the fact that it can run in every type of weather I guess it makes sense. I'm sure it'll pad it's numbers a ton during Holiday in the Park.

By the way, are you working that event?

No, but I'm working through the end of Fright Fest! I may return next year as a supervisor too. I'm thinking about it. Lol

I just saw this in my Facebook news feed. They were touring Rocky Mountain Construction's factory and took pictures of various coaster projects they are working on for Kentucky Kingdom, Dollywood, and Six Flags Great Adventure.

EDIT: It turns out RMC manufactures the track for the S&S 4D Free-Fly coasters.

^ Totally get Skull Mountain. I remember last year during Fright Fest I waited in a full queue (to the entrance) and it only took twenty minutes until I was on the ride. Since the restraints are one long bar, two people are able to take separate halves of the train, further speeding up the process.

Skull Mountain is a bona fide people eater.

Dude, Skull Mountain is such an underrated coaster. Just sits in the back of the park doing it's damn thing. Ride in the last seat or two, and that ride is incredibly fun. Love it.

I just saw this in my Facebook news feed. They were touring Rocky Mountain Construction's factory and took pictures of various coaster projects they are working on for Kentucky Kingdom, Dollywood, and Six Flags Great Adventure.

EDIT: It turns out RMC manufactures the track for the S&S 4D Free-Fly coasters.

Awesome pics!!

Dude, Skull Mountain is such an underrated coaster. Just sits in the back of the park doing it's damn thing. Ride in the last seat or two, and that ride is incredibly fun. Love it.

Glad to see we have yet another member of the cult of Skull Mountain.

Quick question for you SFGAdv pros - are there any single rider lines at the park?

GL and Zumanjaro. Both are near useless.

Agreed on Zumanjaro, disagree with GL. Zumanjaro's SRL moves horrifically slow and takes a HUGE standby line to justify. As long as GL's standby is near the start of the switchbacks by the stairs, the SRL will get you on in half the time.

Green Lantern is definitely skippable, and so is Superman to an extent. The pretzel roll is intense as heck especially in the back row. But other than that, not much is interesting. Honestly, I look at that coaster and see a lot of wasted potential. Though they were tight for space, I feel that they could have done more. It doesn't really take advantage of it's unique perpendicular heartline except for the pretzel loop which everyone agrees is by far the best part of the ride. I wish they incorporated some different elements, especially lie-fly elements. I know it was an early model and was pretty much a prototype like the wingriders today kinda are, so they had to play it a bit safe, but if you want an example of a flyer that unlocks its potential, go ride Sky Scrapper (or is it Starry Sky Ripper? I forgot). That thing takes advantage of it's seating, and looks incredible. Superman is still a fun, relaxing coaster. And it's butter smooth too.

I think both GL and S:UF are solid coasters. GL can be (and was) an anchor of a small park, with its size and intensity. I hate the standup concept in general, but it has its moments and is one of B&M's best in that category. As far as S:UF goes, its a fun, comfortable ride with one amazing element. Enough to provide quality diversity to that lineup.

With all that said, I only give each ride 1-2 laps per season. My time is much better spent on the Intamin duo on the left side of the park, or the better B&M duo to the right.