TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'm with chickenbowl on this one, I think SFGAdv could do much better than an S&S FreeSpin. I am not a fan of Batman at SFFT, I had high hopes for the ride and was greatly disappointed. The plastic vest restraints drilled into my collar bones throughout the entire course, creating quite an uncomfortable experience. Not to mention that as soon as the car disengaged the lift I took a nasty shot to the crotch; sorry, no thanks. The ride did breakdown multiple times, throughout the day I would notice a car stuck on the lift or the coaster just not operating at all. On a positive note I can say that ride spins much more than Green Lantern at SFMM, creating less of a shoulder bashing. Overall though, I don't see this as a good addition to a major park in the chain like Great Adventure, perhaps a better fit would be SFStL or SFA.

Going to the park labor day weekend... Saturday... ( i know labor day Monday typically aren't bad but I'm preparing for the worst on Saturday) just curious about the merge points on Ka, Jaro, Nitro, and toro. How long are the lines from the merge point?

Also I know as a general rule wait until you get to the park before getting a flash pass, problem is I won't be at the park until 3 or 4 or so. Do they typically sell out on busy days or should I buy ahead of time? Or since it's the evening ish the crowds won't be as bad? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm assuming that by merge point you're referring to where the Flash Pass entrance places you in line, right? If so, each of the four attractions you listed have their FP entrances place you essentially right into the station, so it'll give you roughly just a station wait. Zumanjaro would be just one ride cycle, the other three attractions it will depend on how crowded the stations are.

Play it safe - buy ahead of time. Waiting to buy at the park really only applies when there's a chance the park is dead. That will not happen that weekend.

I've heard so much mixed advice for buying FP's early.mMany say wait until you arrive to gauge crowds/weather, etc. while some say buy online to save time and to be safe.

I'm planning on visiting this Saturday and going for the regular FP... I expect crowds to be heavy, but I still want to wait and see. Does it take long to buy them in park? What are the odds of them running out of regular FP's before about noon?

I just can't buy the argument that the park shouldn't get the S&S 4D because of capacity. So what if this ride has a smaller output than some other coasters, the park already has five people eaters with their B&M collection. It's also funny that people then suggest something like a Premier launch akin to Full.Throttle., which also has terrible capacity. Just can't please everyone, I guess.

^ If that's directed at me (I did mention those two things in my post a couple pages back) I specifically mentioned the capacity thing because I know they are both around the same. That's not my issue with it. I just don't see it as a fit to the park. It's not enough splash/pizzazz for a big park like Great Adventure. And personally Id like a nice launcher and not a puke machine. But thats just me.

^Not directed at anyone specifically, just a general observation. I also would prefer a Premier launch. Full.Throttle. was awesome, and I'd love to have something like it (or a direct clone of it) at GAdv. But I also am excited for the potential of a 4D. I know it's a different manufacturer, but if this 4D rides similarly to Green Lantern at SFMM, then the park is getting a great ride.

Play it safe - buy ahead of time. Waiting to buy at the park really only applies when there's a chance the park is dead. That will not happen that weekend.

It will likely be packed that day UNLESS it rains. So keep an eye on the weather, if its looking great bite the bullet a day or two before hand. But definitely keep an eye on the weather.

Good advice, thanks all. Better to buy a day or two before rather than now. Though I found it weird that the Saturday of labor day is the 'cheap' tier for flash pass, though. If you look at different dates there are 3 price tiers: a b and c. C being the cheapest. (70$ for gold) and that weekend is the cheap tier. I guess we'll see, but having a station merge point for toro should be worth the price alone. I would think

To be clear about the merge points, it not reeeeally a station merge @ Toro and Ka, its more of a merge to a short path, up the steps and into the station. If the merge point attendant is not on point (hehe) this path/steps could add another 10 or so minutes. Just saying.

On Nitro the FP line has its own steps that lead right into the station right to the back row (where you should sit anyway) and Zumanjaro the FP line leads right into the station same place as the standby does, they just seem to alternate between three lines (don't bother with the SRL it DOES NOT MOVE).

I just read through the last few pages of the thread, and I have to say something about them getting an S&S 4D Free Spin. I went on Batman at SFFT last week and I can say that it was a HUGE disappointment. After hearing so many great things about it, I thought it would at least be okay for me. I had no idea that the coaster would be almost as uncomfortable as Green Lantern at SFMM. As soon as the car went off the lift I felt like I was dropped onto my balls and it really hurt. That happened a few times, and the plastic-like restraints also pressed into my collar bones (as Chickenbowl mentioned a couple pages back). This is, in my opinion, not something that SFGAdv should invest in. If it's a hit with GP...I guess it would be awesome for them.I just think that it's a really bad coaster that feels more like a flat ride.

What ride were you on? My seat was like a La-Z-Boy.

If you own a La-Z-Boy that feels like a Batman seat, you should return it for a full refund.

In all seriousness though, I'll place another vote against an S&S 4D, since it has been discussed at such length. Honestly, I appreciate the intensity of the coaster. It flipped a ton when I rode it, mildly disoriented me, and certainly provided a lot of force. Nevertheless, the ride dishes out more discomfort than fun. I'm 5'10"/130 lbs, but I don't think that matters much since my group of four (all coaster enthusiasts, all different sizes) disliked Batman and said it was either uncomfortable or painful. To each their own, but if SFGAdv gets one, I'll ride once for the credit, and that's it.

Well, as long as we're voting...

Even though I want to ride Batman at SFFT pretty bad, I think a park of GAdv's size can do better than that - especially in that particular area! Down the road, if they still want one, stick it over in Movie Town, and theme it to Green Lantern...

I'd rather the park just build another Batman (invert) clone in front of the lake and run it backwards forever.

You can never go wrong with building a Batman The Ride, even if your park already has one. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this mindset.

Its prly gonna be a wing coaster

It's prly not gonna be a wing coaster. Almost every rumor going around points to an S&S 4D, and many of these rumors are pretty reliable. Just wondering, what makes you think it'll be a wing coaster? You just don't want it to be so you assume it is?

Its prly gonna be a wing coaster

It's prly not gonna be a wing coaster. Almost every rumor going around points to an S&S 4D, and many of these rumors are pretty reliable. Just wondering, what makes you think it'll be a wing coaster? You just don't want it to be so you assume it is?

The capacity had me wondering if they would really put a 4d in sfgadv. A wing rider similar to xflight at gam seems more logical

I think it's pretty much guaranteed to be the 4D, because that's been the only rumour that has stuck around for over a year now. A reported RMC that interacted with the lake was shot down quickly. Another rumour of dueling Premier launch coasters also died out almost immediately. But this 4D rumour has been around since almost immediately after Zumanjaro opened.

The park should just make us the advisory board. Tell us how much money we have to work with and we'll vote on what should go in lol. How awesome would that be though?

And yes, I know I'm all on that Premier launcher lean but I would totally prefer a B&M winger over a freespin. I've only ridden Gatekeeper and I know the general consensus on it but I thought it was great fun. Personally I'm just a little B&M fatigued if that's possible.

The park should just make us the advisory board. Tell us how much money we have to work with and we'll vote on what should go in lol. How awesome would that be though?

And yes, I know I'm all on that Premier launcher lean but I would totally prefer a B&M winger over a freespin. I've only ridden Gatekeeper and I know the general consensus on it but I thought it was great fun. Personally I'm just a little B&M fatigued if that's possible.

You can definitely be B&M fatigued. Throw me in the camp against the 4-D. Even though that is probably what we are getting I rather have a more substantial traditional coaster with a masssive layout instead.

The park should just make us the advisory board. Tell us how much money we have to work with and we'll vote on what should go in lol. How awesome would that be though

I think we would be better at it! I also have to admit, I love spending someone else's money!!