TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

It's really sad they gave up on Chiller IMO. GASM was understandable, and to a lesser extent RT.

Just thinking about Chiller makes me sad. It was one of my favorite coasters of all time, right behind El Toro and Nitro as my third favorite at the park. And one of the few Six Flags coasters with great theming. And it was based on the worst Batman movie ever made, which is so ridiculously bad that it has become a cult classic! However it was an utter maintenance nightmare and was broken down more often than it operated. When it worked it was brilliant, but it wasn't enough to justify the cost of upkeep and it's poor reputation as a failure. GASM was a classic Arrow and a guaranteed walk on which was great for a few coaster enthusiasts (those who could stand the pain), horrible for everyone else, especially Six Flags itself. Rolling Thunder was just the same, another classic too rough to be enjoyed by anyone other than the most positive and passionate enthusiast. Sure what they replaced each ride with (Dark Knight, Green Lantern, and El Diablo) may not have been the best choices, but they were the most affordable options to help round out the park. And as much as it pains me to say, knocking these rides down was a good decision for the park and guests alike. Great Adventure's coaster line up is solid enough as is. They need to clean up the place, renovate abandoned areas, do some landscaping/repave pathways, be a bit more consistent with theming (or ditch theming entirely), and build a dark ride before they move onto another coaster in my opinion. I know a lot of people think infrastructure doesn't matter, but it deeply affects guests' enjoyment and opinion of the park on a psychological level.

So, apparently the Old Country path has been reopened, and some markings on the pavement have been found. Most likely nothing, but there seems to be quite a few of them, and including arrows and abbreviated terms. Let the 2016 rumorv speculation begin!

This was that "old" pathway I was trying to hint at earlier. haha Expect it to be open on busy days or when the park is using the picnic grove area.

For the longest time I was banging the drum saying that 2016 wouldn't bring a coaster to the park. But after seeing the pictures of what's going on in Old Country, I'm officially changing my tune. Work wouldn't begin this early for any other type of ride. Unless they are adding Justice League, like I've been predicting, and are constructing a new show building from scratch. Either way, this summer's speculation is going to be a lot of fun!

at least there would still be a intermediate coaster for the kids to ride. Thats my take.

Don't Skull Mountain, Mine Train and Dark Knight fall into this category?

Rolling Thunder and Great American Scream Machine were removed because they were crap. Anything that operates in their place is an improvement.

I agree with you for the most part... Rolling Thunder wasn't awful but it didn't do much of anything and Scream Machine was a horrible ride. That being said they did manage to do the impossible with that one and find a coaster so awful that it made Scream Machine look great by comparison. I have no complaints about either ride being removed but I'd argue that Green Lantern is worse than Scream Machine ever dreamed of being.

at least there would still be a intermediate coaster for the kids to ride. Thats my take.

Don't Skull Mountain, Mine Train and Dark Knight fall into this category?

Rolling Thunder and Great American Scream Machine were removed because they were crap. Anything that operates in their place is an improvement.

I agree with you for the most part... Rolling Thunder wasn't awful but it didn't do much of anything and Scream Machine was a horrible ride. That being said they did manage to do the impossible with that one and find a coaster so awful that it made Scream Machine look great by comparison. I have no complaints about either ride being removed but I'd argue that Green Lantern is worse than Scream Machine ever dreamed of being.

Yea I guess you could group those into "intermediate" coasters if you want too. Rolling Thunder still dwarfed all of them and was the closest to an adult coaster out of the three, but I see what you're saying here. As for Green Lantern replacing GASM, I still am confused by this move.

GADV.com posted this on FB and its neat to see it from this angle as its pretty close to the rendering the park released when they announced it. If anything, it makes Toro look even bigger.

11110144_10153982613554460_1920301489222250094_n.jpg?oh=39352b5b1c08acb2814c83a3abb112b4&oe=55B0ECDF

^ GASM was getting old and slowly loading its popularity, not to mention that since arrow went out of business, they couldn't get replacement parts for it. As for why they replaced it with GL, I have no idea.

Arrow went out of business almost a decade before GASM was taken down. They had plenty of spare parts from Shockwave and other Arrow coasters. If this was the case other Arrow Mega-Loopers such as Viper, Vortex, Anaconda, Tennessee Tornado and Loch Ness Monster would have been taken down for the same reason.

^^ GASM was getting old and slowly loading its popularity, not to mention that since arrow went out of business, they couldn't get replacement parts for it. As for why they replaced it with GL, I have no idea.

S&S and to a smaller extent Vekoma still make quite a few parts for the Arrow rides. We will see quite a few of their coasters still in operation for at least another decade, if not longer for some of the newer coasters. The 80's built log flumes on the other hand...

Gotta remember, majority of Arrow's coasters had their steel formed and built right at the site. They never had it built in a factory until the early 90's. There are quite a few hidden defects in the track that can severely impact the longevity of the track because of this process and why some of the larger Arrow coasters will not make it past the 40 year mark without some heavy track work. The ones that are making it past 40 years have had excellent care and the track taken care of. I'd like to mention that the old Knott's Corkscrew that's now at Silverwood does turn 40 years this year, which is rather impressive for being the first coaster to feature 2 modern inversions.