TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^ I'll be moving into my house the week before and so will likely have to work that opening day Friday (we don't close for anything). I could try to take off but its tough because I have to have someone cover for me, and I'll be taking other days off around then for the move so it's more hassle than its worth.

I was there opening day (Saturday) last year and it was more crowded than we expected (thanks to 70 degree weather) but still no waits longer than 20 minutes, so depending on weather I'm gonna go Saturday or Sunday. I'm leaning towards Sunday if its notoriously dead because I never do anything on Easter Sunday anyway.

I still live under her roof, so I still have to play by her rules lol. She's lenient with me missing a lot of things so I can visit theme parks, but she definitely draws the line on me skipping Easter dinner. Maybe I can sweet talk her into budging, though.

Easter Sunday is historically a dead-to-somewhat-dead day.

Just be patient as operations can be very slow (especially food services). The park usually hosts outings for Jewish groups and many of them are infrequently park visitors. This causes extra slow loading and unloading on many of the rides. Still I have never had any problem riding El Toro repeatedly the first two hours the park is open.

Easter Sunday is historically a dead-to-somewhat-dead day.

Just be patient as operations can be very slow (especially food services). The park usually hosts outings for Jewish groups and many of them are infrequently park visitors. This causes extra slow loading and unloading on many of the rides. Still I have never had any problem riding El Toro repeatedly the first two hours the park is open.

I concur. I had one visit one visit early last spring (opening day), which, save for the short waits on El Toro, was a very, very slow service say. I sure hope this was an isolated incident, but we ordered lunch from a chicken wrap place that was the worst service I've ever experienced. Ever. Just us three, two wraps, a large lemonade, and two water cups. Twenty (20!) minutes later, we get one wrap that we didn't order, the other never came, a large cup of ice with maybe six ounces of lemonade for $5, no water cups, no napkins. We asked the cashier repeatedly if it was almost ready, to which she replied yes. She then said she didn't know we ordered anything else. I try to avoid food service at this park. El Toro/Nitro/Ka/Batman is really the only reason I bother on days like these.

I think opening weekend except Easter Sunday is going to be very crowded this year if the weather is ok. Normally the park opens the weekend before Easter and not Easter weekend. I went on opening day 2012 which was the Thursday before Easter and it was jammed. I got there at 10:00 and the line of cars to get to the parking booths was almost up to 537 and after getting a few rides at Nitro with no wait, lines started to get bad (even Runaway Mine Train was 30 minutes). Almost all schools should be closed on Friday and the Saturday before Easter is usually crowded too.

This year I am going to try to go to the park on Easter Sunday. I went last year and lines were very short, mostly 5 - 10 minutes except for Batman which was 20 minutes. I also went to the park on Easter Sunday 2011 and other than Nitro running 1 train with an hour wait (it had been running 2 trains earlier in the day), lines were short for everything else then as well.

I'm always all about the cooler and stopping to pick up Wawa hoagies for lunch before we head in. I rarely get food here unless its a full day from open to close and we get desperate for a bite later in the evening. I'll bring some brews usually too so its nice to go out to the lot, take a break and tailgate for a bit in the middle of the day.

I'm really leaning towards Easter Sunday since it seems like a good day to take advantage of a fairly dead park on opening weekend.

Also really hoping they're doing Coasters After Dark again this year, last years was one of my favorite trips to the park all season. Has it always/usually been in April?

It's sometimes April, sometimes May

2014 was April 25th

2013 was April 26th

2012 was May 4th

2011 was May 6th

2012 was good because the park was open to the public the entire day rather than just the school groups like the other days the event is held.

Honestly after the first season of operation, advertising records like these usually begin to fade even if the record is held. It's not the big news anymore, and it draws fewer guests for being new or record breaking. How many commercials/ads do you see/hear now for Kingda Ka than in 2005? Probably not as many.

Edited by Password121

I'm always all about the cooler and stopping to pick up Wawa hoagies for lunch before we head in. I rarely get food here unless its a full day from open to close and we get desperate for a bite later in the evening. I'll bring some brews usually too so its nice to go out to the lot, take a break and tailgate for a bit in the middle of the day.

I'm really leaning towards Easter Sunday since it seems like a good day to take advantage of a fairly dead park on opening weekend.

Also really hoping they're doing Coasters After Dark again this year, last years was one of my favorite trips to the park all season. Has it always/usually been in April?

years ago, me and a bunch of buddies did the whole tailgating thing in the parking lot. we went as far as bring up out tailgating grill from football. we did burgers, meat tacos, small beer keg , a few other items. security said there were complaints , and we were ordered to shut down. I think guests were jealous for not thinking of doing something like this, and rated us out. we were out near the busses parked, and no cars were around. go figure.

years ago, me and a bunch of buddies did the whole tailgating thing in the parking lot. we went as far as bring up out tailgating grill from football. we did burgers, meat tacos, small beer keg , a few other items. security said there were complaints , and we were ordered to shut down. I think guests were jealous for not thinking of doing something like this, and rated us out. we were out near the busses parked, and no cars were around. go figure.

LOL oh man, that's pretty funny. I use 'tailgating' loosely, we've never brought a grill. I could see people/security complaining. We just pack a cooler with a six pack or so - I don't like drinking heavily and riding, doesn't mix for me - and we'll stop for some sandwiches/chips/etc on the way in and save those for lunch. We'll hang off the back of the truck and chill out for a bit, always makes for a nice mid day break from the crowds and an opportunity to recharge.

...the ride is a one-trick pony, which both Ka and Zum are.

I agree but both rides have great tricks, and I love Kingda Ka (in the front seat). I like Zumanjaro too but unless they manage to get the rides to run together I'm still not a fan of it. It's not worth what it did to Kingda Ka's capacity.

...the ride is a one-trick pony, which both Ka and Zum are.

I agree but both rides have great tricks, and I love Kingda Ka (in the front seat). I like Zumanjaro too but unless they manage to get the rides to run together I'm still not a fan of it. It's not worth what it did to Kingda Ka's capacity.

They're definitely great tricks. Ka is amazing, but only in the front, and Zumanjaro is terrifyingly fun. I too wish they could run together, but the selfish part of me likes the current set-up because both queues hold so many people, keeping all other rides' (especially El Toro's) waits to a minimum.

Looks like SFGADv will build a 100-acre solar farm to power the entire park.

http://www.jacksontwpnj.net/documents/minutes/planning_board/2014/12-01-14.pdf

Ordinance – Solar Energy Facilities

Ray Shea represented Six Flags along with representatives of KDC Solar. Mr. McGuckin said the ordinance was generated

per request by Great Adventure to allow for a solar field on their land. The Township Council did not introduce the

ordinance as it was too late to refer it to the Planning Board before the end of the year, but the Council is sending it now

to the Planning Board to weigh in prior to introduction of the ordinance.

This ordinance will be referred back to the Planning Board for review of consistency with the Master Plan, after the

Township Council’s first reading introduction. Mr. Hudak said this is a request from Six Flags to put in a solar array on a

100 acre site on property they own. The property is not developed and is currently wooded. They will be able to

generate almost all the energy they use at Great Adventure. Mr. Bressi said another positive note is they would go back

three years on taxes for their forestry benefit. They could run the entire park at times on the solar power. The Council

supports the ordinance but couldn’t introduce it before the end of this year, but they want it to move forward.

Rick Roseberry, KDC Solar, was sworn. He said there are two changes brought by this ordinance, the rezoning of Lot 15

to CR-2 and to add the solar use as a conditional use in the zone. The project will make Six Flags completely solar

dependent. They have the ability to project their costs for the next 20 years which would allow them to save money on

electricity and develop other commercial ventures in accordance with the Master Plan.

Mr. Peters said in terms of the Master Plan, it is environmentally friendly. The area is not developed and the solar field

would help meet the needs of the facility. The project would put some land back on the tax rolls. Mr. Peters finds

nothing wrong with the proposed ordinance, adding that it is the more time efficient manner to approvals than asking for

a use variance. The ordinance preserves their rights in a cleaner and efficient manner. Mr. Bressi added that if they

went before the Zoning Board and anything changed, they would have to appear again before the Zoning Board.

Mr. Klee said he met informally and said this is a good project. There would be an analysis of all the trees to be lost.

Mr. Kern asked about the net meter projects as he felt it important to look forward. Mr. Roseberry said the Board of

Public Utilities regulates that. This is an accessory use. They can specify that it is a net meter project. Mr. McGuckin

said they should submit that to the governing body. Ms. Buono gave a copy of the ordinance to Mr. Roseberry. Mr. Kern

asked how large the project is and was told 22 megawatts DC, 17 megawatts AC. He asked why not use the parking lot,

and was told it would be not feasible. They would deforesting near Reed Road. Mr. Kern asked if there is any nonforested

area to consider. Mr. Roseberry said this is the only area that has contiguous acreage to support the project.

Mr. Kern asked about the inter-connection and was told there would be a substation on Route 537 near the employee

entrance. They will have to build another substation.

Public portion opened, no one came forward; Motion to close public portion by BRESSI/Kern. YES:

Unanimous among those present.

Mr. Hudak approved of the project for tax revenues and helping the environment.

Woah. This is crazy, yet awesome. I'm sure some people will bash Six Flags and call them "cheap" for wanting to save money over the long run, but to me, (as someone who knows little to nothing about the logistics of solar power), this seems like a great idea. Especially if the park is planning on being able to power itself solely from the sun. Very cool.

Regardless of whether the intentions are solely financial, this is an amazing step forward. Powering the entire park would be an incredible feat, but even if it only cuts down a portion of the park's energy consumption it would still be a great use of the land. Best of all this could encourage other parks to follow suit. I feel like a hippie getting so excited over this

Think about it this way, if parks start saving money on energy, that's more funding that can go into new rides, infrastructure, and maintenance.

I think it is very indicative of the anticipation of El Diablo that many (myself included) are more interested in the prospect of a solar energy field over the ride itself. Speaking of, I wonder what this potential project would cost... and how long it would take to make up those costs in energy savings. Whatever happens, I think this could be a great move, as long as too many additional trees aren't removed. That would be a shame, considering how much open space the safari already has available.