TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Kind of off topic but a funny moment that happened Wednesday that I forgot to write about til my buddy reminded me today. Upon boarding the Runaway Mine Train:

Art: Wow, this ride smells really clean!

Me: Like fresh Lysol clean?

Art (confused): Um... yeah, I guess!

Me (laughing): Like someone puked and they wiped down the train with Lysol?

Art (horrified/disappointed): Awwwwww maaaaan, yeah.

Me (hysterical): At least you know its clean!!

Heading to the park soon for my virgin visit. We are spending a Friday there after doing Coney Island the day before and are definitely planning on getting a FlashPass. Any advice on which kind to get and what to expect as far as crowds and wait times go? Thanks in advance!

Heading to the park soon for my virgin visit. We are spending a Friday there after doing Coney Island the day before and are definitely planning on getting a FlashPass. Any advice on which kind to get and what to expect as far as crowds and wait times go? Thanks in advance!

I was there last Friday and I think the general advice on this board is sound.

Arrive early so you can get into the park on time.

You can either do Superman and Green Lantern now (we did not) or skip them and check them periodically later (probably the wiser course of action if you plan to ride Zum and not do Zum single rider).

Zum first, if you plan to ride (we did not)

Kingda Ka

El Toro (probably a good idea to reride extensively in the AM as it can get a line later)

Bizarro

take the Skyride

Nitro

Batman

can easily do Skull Mountain, Dark Knight as well

head back towards the front of the park

highly recommend Houdini

check Superman, Green Lantern, if waits are less than 30 minutes, that's pretty good, early afternoon worked well for us

I think that's pretty accurate. We didn't have a flash pass so that would change things a bit, not sure exactly what the effect would be.

Oh, and at least last Friday, there was a crush of visitors that arrived around 5:30 to 6 PM and at that point the crowds were unmanageable and so we left. You may find the same... or the FP might make it so you don't have as much of an issue... or maybe that was just a problem that one particular day, but I suspect not, it seemed to be the getting off work locals crowd.

I was there last Friday and I think the general advice on this board is sound.

Arrive early so you can get into the park on time.

You can either do Superman and Green Lantern now (we did not) or skip them and check them periodically later (probably the wiser course of action if you plan to ride Zum and not do Zum single rider).

Zum first, if you plan to ride (we did not)

Kingda Ka

El Toro (probably a good idea to reride extensively in the AM as it can get a line later)

Bizarro

take the Skyride

Nitro

Batman

can easily do Skull Mountain, Dark Knight as well

head back towards the front of the park

highly recommend Houdini

check Superman, Green Lantern, if waits are less than 30 minutes, that's pretty good, early afternoon worked well for us

I think that's pretty accurate. We didn't have a flash pass so that would change things a bit, not sure exactly what the effect would be.

glad to hear someone else say do not use the zum single rider line. when I used it last sunday 2 times, the standy by line went quicker then the single rider line. I will never use it again. even some other guests mentioned how slow the single rider line was moving, and some even had friends got in the stand by line to see who rode first, and the standy by que seemed to be your best bet.

So, wouldn't it be a bad idea to have retracting brakes like on their accelerator coasters to avoid this "waste of energy" ?

P.S. I'm sure intamin knows what they're doing but I felt like suggesting this.

I imagine it's due to the possibility of retractable brakes failing to work correctly, which would lead to certain death. The static magnetic brakes are failsafe in theory, as they should never stop working unless something happens to the Earth's magnetic polarity, or so I believe anyway.

That's what I thought too. But then it's the same with their accelerator coaster's brakes. Imagine it kingda ka's brakes failed to return to their default position during a rollback, it would be certain death too.

The default position for the brakes on accelerator coasters are in the up position. The brakes require air pressure to stay down while trains launch. That's the hissing noise you hear when the brakes drop. With loss of power, the brakes return to their default position. It would be cool if these brakes we're put on drop towers as well but I guess fixed brakes were the better option in the scheme of things.

^^ I didn't know that they required air pressure to stay down and would come up it there was a power loss. I guess that only makes the fact that they don't use them more strange.

I would guess the added complexity and cost outweighs the benefit of a slightly larger lifting system to just "muscle through" the break run. I also was under the impression that the faster the car (for example) passed through the magnetic breaks the greater the force applied to the car is. So a slow moving gondola going up would have little resistance but a quickly dropping gondola would be slowed almost to a stop.

Earlier in the season rumors emerged of a new coaster out over the lake, possibly a RMC with an underwater tunnel and it got shot down by the state. So i'm guessing no new coaster? There has literally been no buzz since. I know the park has huge gaps to fill with flat rides, but I think it is almost time for a new coaster seeing the park's last original installation was Dark Knight.

Earlier in the season rumors emerged of a new coaster out over the lake, possibly a RMC with an underwater tunnel and it got shot down by the state. So i'm guessing no new coaster? There has literally been no buzz since. I know the park has huge gaps to fill with flat rides, but I think it is almost time for a new coaster seeing the park's last original installation was Dark Knight.

Agreed. I'd like to see them put a new coaster over in Movie Town. There is a nice chunk of space between the former Chiller spot and the abandoned Old Country section. I can see them adding a new coaster there in order to revitalize Movie Town, seeing as it is almost abandoned and quite creepy at night.

I've been thinking about this all night, so I figured I'd make a post to get 'em out here.

I really feel GADV is about 5 years of additions to become the chain's first CP-style resort. Here are a quick rundown of why this is sensible...

-Location. It is THE park in the NYC/Philly/NJ area, which is one of the most densely populated, wealthy and tourist raided (NYC, Jersey shore, AC, etc) areas in the entire country.

-Space. It is the world's largest amusement park in the world in terms of physical size. It's plot of land is enormous, with an already big dry park with a huge chunk of undeveloped land.

-Variety. It already has one of the best coaster collections in the world, just added some major flats in Skyscreamer and Zumanjaro, a nice sized waterpark, and most importantly a completely unique safari attraction.

-They have the world's tallest coaster, world's tallest drop ride, and the #1 coaster in the world that's acknowledged as such by the biggest polls. In other words, they have, like CP, rides that even the GP will travel quite far for and stay at multiple days.

To me, it's a park they will see massive returns on if they invest the necessary cash into it. SFMM has been the park the company has put those kinds of investments into, but competing with Disney and Universal makes a resort experience quite a bit more difficult. So, thinking about it, here's the best plan I came up with to get the park to that proper level.

2015- Refurbrish main street, add 1-2 family flats on the Ka/Toro side of the park, and detail throughout the park (some paint here, landscaping there, etc). The key to me is transforming from the entrance to tge boardwalk. I am talking new concrete paths, getting rid of those nasty ice cream-style buildings near Houdini and replacing them with more charming exteriors like those at SFNE, lanscaping, etc.. To me, main street is very important as it can create an immersive and quality first impression, and right now it looks dated and forgettable. Besides that, the park is imbalnlanced flat-wise, and a simple flat or two on the west side would help that. I'd expect all this to push $8-10M.

2016- A new coaster to replace Chiller. I feel a multi-launch LSM coaster that stretches to the front entrance (partly because of my previously stated importance of 1st impressions) would be perfect. In terms of manufacturer, it'd be Intamin or Mack, with the ride experience being between Cheetah Hunt and Helix (I feel it should be somewhat geared to riders not looking for Maverick intensity).. However, these types of coasters push $18-25M, so keeping SF's insistence on cheaper capital investments in mind, that might be pushing it. Two other alternatives with one being a shorter, but well-themed coaster with pre-ride section like Superman Escape (around $15M US I believe). And the other being either a family wooden by GCI, or a medium-sized, ground-hugging, fast-paced RMC creation ($12M or less). Also, open back up the Movietown loop.

2017- Total Movietown overhaul. First order of business is retheming it to Gotham City (DC doesn't make sense due to S:UF, GL and Bizarro scattered elsewhere.). This would include new shops, theming, walkways, refurbishing and reopening the Batman arena, repaint Nitro, and add a few flat or two. I'd suspect a cost of $10M or so.

2018- Begin groundwork on an on-site hotel a little past the old Safari entrance. I feel this would be great location as its isolated from the park while still being close tram to the entrance, and it could overlook the safari which would be stellar. I'd include a jungle theme with an on-site Rainforest Cafe, hige children's play area, tiki bar outside at the pool area. I'd stretch the process over 2-3 years as the cost will be very high ( $20-35M I'd presume). Assuming they could break up the payment to allow some cash for park improvements, I'd add a slife at HH, and putting some work to give the waterpark some more character.

2019- Updating FA with some new shops and maybe an interactive dark ride themed to a Western shootout.

2020- Open hotel!

While these plans may need to be stretched an extra year or 2 due to cost (although I feel this isn't totally impossible), that is only 6-8 years of development to make GADV a quality resort destination. The park has so many things already going for it and could be the chain's centerpiece, it just needs a few flats, a coaster and touching up what's already there.

Sorry, needed to get these ideas out !

Edited by Nitro1118

If that's true... I don't know what would make me angrier at New Jersey's government. I honestly hope this isn't true. Where did the underwater tunnel rumor come from, anyways?

what do you expect from one of the most regulated states in the country. just look how they screwed up Ka's capacity by not allowing it and zumanjaro to run simultaneously.

they have been talking about a hotel at SFGadv since the day it was built 40yrs. If it hasn't happened yet, dont plan on it ever happening.

I've been thinking about this all night, so I figured I'd make a post to get 'em out here.

I really feel GADV is about 5 years of additions to become the chain's first CP-style resort. Here are a quick rundown of why this is sensible...

-Location. It is THE park in the NYC/Philly/NJ area, which is one of the most densely populated, wealthy and tourist raided (NYC, Jersey shore, AC, etc) areas in the entire country.

-Space. It is the world's largest amusement park in the world in terms of physical size. It's plot of land is enormous, with an already big dry park with a huge chunk of undeveloped land.

-Variety. It already has one of the best coaster collections in the world, just added some major flats in Skyscreamer and Zumanjaro, a nice sized waterpark, and most importantly a completely unique safari attraction.

-They have the world's tallest coaster, world's tallest drop ride, and the #1 coaster in the world that's acknowledged as such by the biggest polls. In other words, they have, like CP, rides that even the GP will travel quite far for and stay at multiple days.

To me, it's a park they will see massive returns on if they invest the necessary cash into it. SFMM has been the park the company has put those kinds of investments into, but competing with Disney and Universal makes a resort experience quite a bit more difficult. So, thinking about it, here's the best plan I came up with to get the park to that proper level.

2015- Refurbrish main street, add 1-2 family flats on the Ka/Toro side of the park, and detail throughout the park (some paint here, landscaping there, etc). The key to me is transforming from the entrance to tge boardwalk. I am talking new concrete paths, getting rid of those nasty ice cream-style buildings near Houdini and replacing them with more charming exteriors like those at SFNE, lanscaping, etc.. To me, main street is very important as it can create an immersive and quality first impression, and right now it looks dated and forgettable. Besides that, the park is imbalnlanced flat-wise, and a simple flat or two on the west side would help that. I'd expect all this to push $8-10M.

2016- A new coaster to replace Chiller. I feel a multi-launch LSM coaster that stretches to the front entrance (partly because of my previously stated importance of 1st impressions) would be perfect. In terms of manufacturer, it'd be Intamin or Mack, with the ride experience being between Cheetah Hunt and Helix (I feel it should be somewhat geared to riders not looking for Maverick intensity).. However, these types of coasters push $18-25M, so keeping SF's insistence on cheaper capital investments in mind, that might be pushing it. Two other alternatives with one being a shorter, but well-themed coaster with pre-ride section like Superman Escape (around $15M US I believe). And the other being either a family wooden by GCI, or a medium-sized, ground-hugging, fast-paced RMC creation ($12M or less). Also, open back up the Movietown loop.

2017- Total Movietown overhaul. First order of business is retheming it to Gotham City (DC doesn't make sense due to S:UF, GL and Bizarro scattered elsewhere.). This would include new shops, theming, walkways, refurbishing and reopening the Batman arena, repaint Nitro, and add a few flat or two. I'd suspect a cost of $10M or so.

2018- Begin groundwork on an on-site hotel a little past the old Safari entrance. I feel this would be great location as its isolated from the park while still being close tram to the entrance, and it could overlook the safari which would be stellar. I'd include a jungle theme with an on-site Rainforest Cafe, hige children's play area, tiki bar outside at the pool area. I'd stretch the process over 2-3 years as the cost will be very high ( $20-35M I'd presume). Assuming they could break up the payment to allow some cash for park improvements, I'd add a slife at HH, and putting some work to give the waterpark some more character.

2019- Updating FA with some new shops and maybe an interactive dark ride themed to a Western shootout.

2020- Open hotel!

While these plans may need to be stretched an extra year or 2 due to cost (although I feel this isn't totally impossible), that is only 6-8 years of development to make GADV a quality resort destination. The park has so many things already going for it and could be the chain's centerpiece, it just needs a few flats, a coaster and touching up what's already there.

Sorry, needed to get these ideas out !

they have been talking about a hotel at SFGadv since the day it was built 40yrs.[\quote]

I know, and it would have happened circa 2007 if the company didn't change hands. That is why we got Ka and Toro in back to back years. I don't plan on it happening, either, it was just an idea based on why I think it'd make sense and a short, multi-year plan for the park to reach thst potential.

It's a pain to get a hotel in that area. There's very few hotels around and so booking one is not only hard, but it'll end up being like a good 15-30 minute drive away from the park. A hotel right next to the park would be beneficial to the area.

I hope they don't get a hotel. It will just make the park more crowded and longer lines.

How would this make a park more crowded? It would just boost profit and guest happiness. If I'm an owner of a theme park, I can't bring in more people by saying that I built a hotel. But, for tourists who have to travel to come to my park, they will be happy because they can stay longer.

So it's not gonna bring more people in, but it will help them be able to come maybe more often land stay longer. With all the extra profit, the park will be able to do major overhauls to the areas that need work.

Besides Six Flags has done hotels before at Great Escape and Darien Lake (while it was still owned by 6f).

I hope they don't get a hotel. It will just make the park more crowded and longer lines.

How would this make a park more crowded? It would just boost profit and guest happiness. If I'm an owner of a theme park, I can't bring in more people by saying that I built a hotel. But, for tourists who have to travel to come to my park, they will be happy because they can stay longer.

So it's not gonna bring more people in, but it will help them be able to come maybe more often land stay longer. With all the extra profit, the park will be able to do major overhauls to the areas that need work.

Besides Six Flags has done hotels before at Great Escape and Darien Lake (while it was still owned by 6f).

If they stay longer and come more often, wouldn't that result in the park being busier? I'm not saying the hotel would be bad, but it would sure bring more people in wit that logic.

If they stay longer and come more often, wouldn't that result in the park being busier? I'm not saying the hotel would be bad, but it would sure bring more people in wit that logic.

Not exactly, but I can see what you're getting at. I'm just saying if you have a family that stays for two days at the park, the attendance would be the same, there wouldn't be an increase. Maybe it would boost attendance a lot, I could be wrong but building a hotel won't bring in more people than a new coaster or area.