TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

What makes me mad is that riders probably have a higher chance of being hit by a loose article on the same train they're on than a rider on Zumanjaro getting hit by a loose article from Ka yet the state won't allow the two to run together. Maybe the state would allow both rides to run simultaneoulsy if Ka had netting around the bottom of the track like Goliath at SFOG

JZFR_feature_six_flags_spring_break_06.thumb.jpg.bac32e9ee16000dc5609cb6a2b0c2e43.jpg

What makes me mad is that riders probably have a higher chance of being hit by a loose article on the same train they're on than a rider on Zumanjaro getting hit by a loose article from Ka yet the state won't allow the two to run together.

True. I don't remember ever seeing anything flying off a train while not on the ride but I do remember getting hit by a coin (in the forehead) in Nitro's hill after the hammerhead turn. It wasn't really painful but that's because it wasn't going very fast and it was a small coin.

^Now that I think of it, that has to be the case unless you throw it on purpose. During the launch, if you drop anything it will go forwards (to the back of the tower) and the opposite will happen after the top hat. If you drop it while clearing the top hat it will go forwards into the parking lot. I think that little to no objects dropped would end within zumanjaro's area.

Agreed, the more likely chance for an incident to occur is if something falling on the Drop Tower riders from above. That has been neutralized by the shield when riders are loading and unloading. However, that shield only protects the riders before they start moving vertically. If the rides were run simultaneously there would be a greater probability since the shield would not always be protecting the riders.

I'm not really clear on this since I haven't been on the ride yet. Is the shield you're talking about over the loading area, not at the top of the tower? If so, what's keeping them from putting some netting beside the top hat track at the top of the tower and completely eliminating the danger? Also, don't the gondolas themselves have a clear plastic roof directly overhead? Wouldn't that also protect riders?

Agreed, the more likely chance for an incident to occur is if something falling on the Drop Tower riders from above. That has been neutralized by the shield when riders are loading and unloading. However, that shield only protects the riders before they start moving vertically. If the rides were run simultaneously there would be a greater probability since the shield would not always be protecting the riders.

I'm not really clear on this since I haven't been on the ride yet. Is the shield you're talking about over the loading area, not at the top of the tower? If so, what's keeping them from putting some netting beside the top hat track at the top of the tower and completely eliminating the danger? Also, don't the gondolas themselves have a clear plastic roof directly overhead? Wouldn't that also protect riders?

The screen is in the loading area. It folds back and forth over the station depending on which ride is running.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I don't mind that the two rides don't run concurrently. Not having a Ka train come overhead as you drop doesn't take away from the thrill of the plunge. It didn't for me, at least.

I just got an email from the park about new attractions which included Fright Fest in July and a new Paint Ball experience. If they do either of these (especially the first one) I give up on this park... it seems like management is just clueless. They need to take care of what they already have not add more crap that's going to bring in trashy crowds.

I've seen things fall off Dragster many times but never once has it gone to the inside of the tower it will generally be hurled sideways away from the tower.

didn't one of the dragster themed tires fall off and that's why they took them off, along with the engine, and added a extra row of seats.

I just got an email from the park about new attractions which included Fright Fest in July and a new Paint Ball experience. If they do either of these (especially the first one) I give up on this park... it seems like management is just clueless. They need to take care of what they already have not add more crap that's going to bring in trashy crowds.

It's probably something like SFSTL has. The hayride was converted so you all sit facing the outside and shoot mounted paintball guns at targets and "zombies" who are just men in all black. They apparently had a hard time recruiting the live actors, because we only encountered 4 during our 15 minute long hayride. It was pretty lame, so I hope SFGAD doesn't get a similar attraction.

It's probably something like SFSTL has. The hayride was converted so you all sit facing the outside and shoot mounted paintball guns at targets and "zombies" who are just men in all black. They apparently had a hard time recruiting the live actors, because we only encountered 4 during our 15 minute long hayride. It was pretty lame, so I hope SFGAD doesn't get a similar attraction.

instead of recruiting actors, SFGadv can use line cutters, and the guests get to pelt them with the paintball guns. that would be fun.

Less than a week till I'm in Jackson, but we need a place to crash. Anyone know of any clean, reasonable places to stay in the general area?

Also I need a good attack plan for the park. First thought is to book it to the safari at rope drop then work my way to Toro/Ka to get those out of the way. Then Bizarro, Mine Train, Log Flume, Houdini, skyride across the park for Skull, Nitro, Rapids, Sky Screamer, Ferris Wheel, and Batman. It'll pretty much be straight rerides afterwards unless lines are too long.

Or skip the safari and head to Toro/Ka and work my way to the Nitro side from there.

Edited by netdvn

I've seen things fall off Dragster many times but never once has it gone to the inside of the tower it will generally be hurled sideways away from the tower.

didn't one of the dragster themed tires fall off and that's why they took them off, along with the engine, and added a extra row of seats.

Lolololol no, they took out the dragster wheels to add capacity

Lolololol no, they took out the dragster wheels to add capacity

'Good Year" tire falls from Top Thrill Dragster

http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/good-year-tire-falls-from-top-thrill-dragster

http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/12069.aspx

Less than a week till I'm in Jackson, but we need a place to crash. Anyone know of any clean, reasonable places to stay in the general area?

Also I need a good attack plan for the park. First thought is to book it to the safari at rope drop then work my way to Toro/Ka to get those out of the way. Then Bizarro, Mine Train, Log Flume, Houdini, skyride across the park for Skull, Nitro, Rapids, Sky Screamer, Ferris Wheel, and Batman. It'll pretty much be straight rerides afterwards unless lines are too long.

Or skip the safari and head to Toro/Ka and work my way to the Nitro side from there.

Not sure what the rates look like, but my suggestion is to stay in East Windsor, NJ.....Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn (I believe one/both have some sort of "Special Rates" that include park tickets).....you are looking at a 20- 25 minute drive. If you want better quality hotels, then further west (along Route 1 in Princeton/West Windsor) are better places, however- you are looking at a 35- 40 minute drive to the park.

Safari? Personally- I wouldn't make that my first stop. Even if the crowds are "light," the majority of the crowd will be teenagers from local camps, thus expect all the major thrill rides to have lines. Here is what I would suggest:

1) Get to the park at 9:30am, so that should there be a backup at security, you will be good to go (they'll let guests into the park at 10am, however- rope up the front area until their 10:30am opening)

2) Head directly to Superman, then Green Lantern (I'm not a fan of either coaster, however- if you want to get on them....get on them immediately in the am, otherwise you are looking at a potential 1+ hour wait later in the day)

3) Next (if they are running first thing in the am), hit Kingda Ka, then single-rider lane on Zumajaro

4) Assuming all is going well- hit El Toro (you can probably get a couple rides in back to back)

5) Bizarro is a line eater, and there won't be many people on that side of the park in the am.....then the Mine Train

That should knock out half the major rides.....so next:

6) Skyride to the other side of the park

7) Skull Mountain (it is right at the exit of the sky ride, and shouldn't have much of a wait)

8) Batman and Nitro

From there (my opinion), whatever is left, is left- you hit the major rides.....go enjoy the rest of the park, food, games, etc. at whatever pace is best for you.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

An important thing to remember about the Safari (if you decide to ride it) is that the animals are much more active in the morning than they are in the afternoon so I actually think doing that first is a great idea as the experience will be much better.

... Paint Ball Experience....

A Paintball experience? Hmmm, sounds a lot like this:

R.I.P. Shoot the Freak, 2000 - 2010

What makes me mad is that riders probably have a higher chance of being hit by a loose article on the same train they're on than a rider on Zumanjaro getting hit by a loose article from Ka yet the state won't allow the two to run together.

True. I don't remember ever seeing anything flying off a train while not on the ride but I do remember getting hit by a coin (in the forehead) in Nitro's hill after the hammerhead turn. It wasn't really painful but that's because it wasn't going very fast and it was a small coin.

Can I just say I was riding apollos chariot at bgw this year and we were going down the second hill and at the top of the hill someone threw their water bottle up and caught it at the bottom-BARELY. he was up in one of the front rows and I was in the back and if he haven't caught that, that was a half full water bottle being flung at 70 mph right for my face!

^Yeah that's just a stupid thing to do. I assume the guy who lost the coin that hit me didn't do it on purpose. In fact the very previous ride had been on Superman where I also saw someone losing a bunch of them.