TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

SFGAdv can help with the stacking issue by getting rid of the person at the entrance and putting them in the station helping with loading and unloading. no reason for that person at the entrance.

Actually, the entrance person is the most important person working the ride. The entrance person ensures everyone is tall enough and that everyone has placed their bags in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo before they get near the station. This greatly improves our efficiency because everyone just smoothly gets on the train. Occasionally someone slips past the entrance person with a bag and that greatly slows down our efficiency because we have to spend a few minutes talking to the person with the bag to explain to them that they will have to place their bag in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo before they may ride. If we had no entrance person, we would have too many people who did not place their bags in fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo to deal with. Now if the park got rid of the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, having an entrance person would be a different story. So in this case, avoiding stacking is as simple as opening the air gates as soon as the train parks, checking restraints quickly and safely, and then sending the train out right after without any delay.

I remember back in the 80's and the 90's when the coasters had no entrance person, had to deal with bags and crap, and still checked the trains quicker then they do today. and if the entrance person is so important, why are attendants double checking heights again in the station and wasting time? it would be better and more efficient to then move that person into the station and do what Disney does and be a loader for the station and send all the train out full.

I remember back in the 80's and the 90's when the coasters had no entrance person, had to deal with bags and crap, and still checked the trains quicker then they do today. and if the entrance person is so important, why are attendants double checking heights again in the station and wasting time? it would be better and more efficient to then move that person into the station and do what Disney does and be a loader for the station and send all the train out full.

I see your point dude but as long as Gadv has lockers, there will be an entrance person at every ride with lockers. We're required to check heights again in the station to make sure no one who wasn't tall enough got past the entrance person. As efficient as everyone (including myself) wants a ride to run, safety still comes first.

Rode Nitro yesterday, back row, train a, 7th or 8th ride the 2014 season. Whatever issues with bumpiness Nitro is having (I can't complain) surely can't take away from the breath taking airtime on this ride Choice between bumpy nitro back seat or Green Lantern, I think the answer is clear. Or it is for me at least.

It sounds like you guys definitely need a second entrance, especially for busy days. That's how Busch did it.

One person would deal with disability passes, and fastpasses while the other dealt with bags and height check. Your chances of having bags and small children slip through are lower and you have someone to keep you company. If any bags slip through, explaining policy shouldn't take long either. Just tell them to stick it in a l0cker next time and set the bag off to the side. If you can't leave bags on the platform, just have a position at the station choke point telling people to put bags away.

Is the bag policy a new one? Seems like the park isn't ready for something like this yet.

It sounds like you guys definitely need a second entrance, especially for busy days. That's how Busch did it.

One person would deal with disability passes, and fastpasses while the other dealt with bags and height check. Your chances of having bags and small children slip through are lower and you have someone to keep you company. If any bags slip through, explaining policy shouldn't take long either. Just tell them to stick it in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo next time and set the bag off to the side. If you can't leave bags on the platform, just have a position at the station choke point telling people to put bags away.

Is the bag policy a new one? Seems like the park isn't ready for something like this yet.

No, the bag policy has been around for years. GADV strictly enforces its bag policy so absolutely no one is allowed to leave any bags on the side of the station unless it's a medical bag. We do occasionally have grouper people in the station that only height check. They usually deal with people who brought bags up but that's usually only on busy days where we are staffed for that. You'd actually think explaining the bag policy to people who slip by would be simple but it isn't actually always with the city people the park attracts. haha I've gotten a lot of attitude from people who slipped bags through the entrance. This one dude who was a Six Flags America local actually got furious with me and told me his home park was better just because I told him he couldn't ride El Toro with his fanny pack or leave it on the side.

If you height check in the station then why bother at all with checking height at the entrance. If your entrance person who's supposed to measure is letting people slip by then they're doing their job wrong. Either you measure everyone or you don't.

If you height check in the station then why bother at all with checking height at the entrance. If your entrance person who's supposed to measure is letting people slip by then they're doing their job wrong. Either you measure everyone or you don't.

It's not that the entrance person purposely lets people slip by. It gets crowded as hell there sometimes. There's only so many people you can see in a crowd of people walking through your line. haha Sometimes you miss people. However, usually bags slip through the entrance rather than people who are too short cause bags are usually harder to notice. And again, its our goal to have things flow nicely in the station so that we don't have to waste time explaining things to people who cannot ride. That's why we height check at the entrance of the line to make sure everyone is tall enough. But due to safety regulations, we do have to height check again before people board a ride. Hope that answers your question. haha

It's not that the entrance person purposely lets people slip by. It gets crowded as hell there sometimes. There's only so many people you can see in a crowd of people walking through your line. haha Sometimes you miss people. However, usually bags slip through the entrance rather than people who are too short cause bags are usually harder to notice. And again, its our goal to have things flow nicely in the station so that we don't have to waste time explaining things to people who cannot ride. That's why we height check at the entrance of the line to make sure everyone is tall enough. But due to safety regulations, we do have to height check again before people board a ride. Hope that answers your question. haha

if your going to do anything at the entrance outside to speed things up, is make the heavy people try the test seat. they are the ones that slow the line down big time.

if your going to do anything at the entrance outside to speed things up, is make the heavy people try the test seat. they are the ones that slow the line down big time.

You're not the first one to suggest that actually. It's a great idea but we are technically not allowed to single out heavy people to make them try the test seat. Our world is too sensitive. haha Like when we have to kick someone off a ride for being too big, we can't even mention that they were too big to ride.

People will always try to sneak it. Paying for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo just for one ride absurd.

You can have the all day lockers which work well.

No, the bag policy has been around for years. GADV strictly enforces its bag policy so absolutely no one is allowed to leave any bags on the side of the station unless it's a medical bag. We do occasionally have grouper people in the station that only height check. They usually deal with people who brought bags up but that's usually only on busy days where we are staffed for that. You'd actually think explaining the bag policy to people who slip by would be simple but it isn't actually always with the city people the park attracts. haha I've gotten a lot of attitude from people who slipped bags through the entrance. This one dude who was a Six Flags America local actually got furious with me and told me his home park was better just because I told him he couldn't ride El Toro with his fanny pack or leave it on the side.

Take it from someone who's worked at a roller coaster that had a completely different bag policy from every other coaster in the park, it's difficult to manage something like that without the proper staffing. GAdv needs to either have the proper staffing to manage the policy or drop the policy altogether and allow people to leave their bags on the side. The way everything is set up now seems to be counteractive of what the park wants (instead of making the lines move quicker, people getting in fights with employees holds the line up for everyone).

It also helps to work as a team in situations like this. Have one person explain the policy and have the other coworker as backup in case the guest gets into an argumentative mood.

The way everything is set up now seems to be counteractive of what the park wants

I feel like it's exactly in line with what the park wants... which is to make money. Everything they said about speeding up the loading process is just their PR spin on it because they can't just come out and say "we found another way to make more money off of our guests" (even though they're a business and there's really nothing wrong with that).

If they were so concerned with efficiency that they decided they had to implement this new policy to make the lines move faster then they most likely wouldn't stand for such crappy operations on the rides that have lockers. Nitro and Bizarro both have lockers and their operations have been embarrassingly bad this year (well... Bizarro is terrible every year). If those rides were at a park like Cedar Point where they actually cared about efficiency on every coaster not named Mantis and Iron Dragon they would be putting out trains at a much faster rate even with guests having to store items on the platform. There's no way efficiency is a big concern at Six Flags because if it was they wouldn't stand for some of what's been going on this year.

**Oh, and because I hate to make overly negative posts I do feel the need to point out once again that the crews on many rides (Especially Batman and El Toro and the Skyride) are awesome. Slow operations are not a park wide problem but they're really bad on the rides I mentioned before.

The way everything is set up now seems to be counteractive of what the park wants

I feel like it's exactly in line with what the park wants... which is to make money. Everything they said about speeding up the loading process is just their PR spin on it because they can't just come out and say "we found another way to make more money off of our guests" (even though they're a business and there's really nothing wrong with that).

The park only gets a very small percentage of the storage money, the vendor keeps practically all the money.

You're right, but regardless it's still a new revenue stream. I would think they're still getting a substantial amount of money from those lockers.

Again... I'm not complaining about them as I understand that any business would look for new revenue streams, I'm just saying that I feel like the PR spin is nonsense.

Read the last few pages and was wondering when we became so pissy?? Seriously - A park that has El-Toro, Nitro, Ka, the Tallest Drop Tower in the world - and we are complaining that two weeks into a season -trains are stacking?? Really? Yeah - the locker policy sucks - we beat the crap out of that dead horse years ago

As far as us deciding how to have Six Flags make the BRAND NEW teams more efficient - lets back up for a second.

All of us know - the area around the first Entrance to a ride is always a MESS. The person standing there cannot possibly measure every kid and check every person for bags while they are also answering 100's of questions about the ride. The people in the station have to be the 2nd set of eyes - period.

Unfortunately - some people find it necessary to bring the entire contents of their house with them to an amusement park - and decide that they can just take their luggage on any ride they want . Although we know better - the General Public isn't as queued-in as we are.

Just thought I'd mention these things - this thread has gotten a little "dark."

P.S. - does me bitching about us bitching qualify this post as META?? And thanks to Ryan for responding to everyones suggestions and questions. It is nice to hear the behind the scenes information. This post was meant to bring up a point in a sarcastic manner - so please take it as such.

Ta

D.

I agree... We expect perfection from teams that have not done this in either months, or ever for the new members! It's just not fair... If this convo was going on in august, I would agree that the teams need to get there act together, but we are not, please give them a chance.

In regards to bringing their entire lives onto the ride, I may have to find a but of the blame on Disney, as almost all of their rides have a location to keep personal belongings... Unfortunately, the ride styles and levels of intensity are drastically different, the GP doesn't see it that way!

Read the last few pages and was wondering when we became so pissy?? Seriously - A park that has El-Toro, Nitro, Ka, the Tallest Drop Tower in the world - and we are complaining that two weeks into a season -trains are stacking?? Really? Yeah - the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy sucks - we beat the crap out of that dead horse years ago

As far as us deciding how to have Six Flags make the BRAND NEW teams more efficient - lets back up for a second.

All of us know - the area around the first Entrance to a ride is always a MESS. The person standing there cannot possibly measure every kid and check every person for bags while they are also answering 100's of questions about the ride. The people in the station have to be the 2nd set of eyes - period.

Unfortunately - some people find it necessary to bring the entire contents of their house with them to an amusement park - and decide that they can just take their luggage on any ride they want . Although we know better - the General Public isn't as queued-in as we are.

Just thought I'd mention these things - this thread has gotten a little "dark."

P.S. - does me bitching about us bitching qualify this post as META?? And thanks to Ryan for responding to everyones suggestions and questions. It is nice to hear the behind the scenes information. This post was meant to bring up a point in a sarcastic manner - so please take it as such.

Ta

D.

I have a theory with this because I think you're 100% right. I think we're just spoiled. We have KK, Nitro and El Toro in our home park on top of living in a major area of the country. I always think other people not from Jersey, So Cal, Florida or Ohio and arguably Pennsylvania think the enthusiasts there are spoiled. And I think they're right being an enthusiast from New Jersey.

We just have a higher set of expectations because we're use to having elite coasters and better parks. We're not use to seeing what worse parks are like so when great local parks aren't on their game, we look at that as worse than others because we haven't seen it as bad as often.

This opinion may come across the wrong way but it's just my theory from speaking with out of town locals and traveling.

I have a theory with this because I think you're 100% right. I think we're just spoiled. We have KK, Nitro and El Toro in our home park on top of living in a major area of the country. I always think other people not from Jersey, So Cal, Florida or Ohio and arguably Pennsylvania think the enthusiasts there are spoiled. And I think they're right being an enthusiast from New Jersey.

We just have a higher set of expectations because we're use to having elite coasters and better parks. We're not use to seeing what worse parks are like so when great local parks aren't on their game, we look at that as worse than others because we haven't seen it as bad as often.

This opinion may come across the wrong way but it's just my theory from speaking with out of town locals and traveling.

New Jersey counts as a major area of the country now?

Talking coaster wise, as the original poster is. YES!

NJ, the cesspool of america