TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I didn't think Rolling Thunder was rough in any way, shape or form. It wasn't even bumpy... but it was really, really boring and it made terrible noises around turns. I agree with the last poster about the ride racing also. When trains were sent at the same time one train would always win by about 10 seconds... this ride couldn't effectively race unless they adjusted the lift speed or sent one train a little later which would make the first half of the race very uninteresting.

While I didn't care for the ride at all I am surprised to see it go. Old wood coasters in large corporate parks are very rarely demolished unless they're extremely painful and this one wasn't at all. I also think they could have turned the train backwards on one side and generated some buzz for awhile. They seem to be in love with turning coasters backwards lately and I'm surprised they didn't do that with Rolling Thunder.

I kind of get the feeling that this ride was suffering from some mechanical issues over the last few years that were getting expensive to fix. It seemed like one track or the other kept closing for a few weeks while maintenance worked on it and just judging by the sounds the ride was making it seemed like they needed to do a lot of work on the trains. Obviously I'm just speculating but I think rising maintenance costs were definitely a big part of this decision.

It wont be 2014 because the Chassis is going to SFMM. Maybe SFGAdv will get it for 2015. I also thought it would have been cool to go in the order that BM:TR was introduced to each park. But alas that is not happening apparently.

I just found it really bumpy and annoying, more than anything else. It was just a "generic," wooden out-and-back coaster that had not aged well.

Agreed. It ran well this season, for the first time in about 25 years.

I guess it wanted to go out in a "blaze of glory."

I'm glad to see at least one pic of the demolition. I googled it and couldnt find anything. It came down a lot faster than expected too. Had any demolition been going on during Fright Fest, or did all of this occur since the season ended?

Looks like the lift is the only thing left I know it wasn't a great ride but seeing any ride getting demolished is sad. Now it really is rotting lumber

RT's lift hill looks like a ghost in that picture.

It's gonna be so weird riding El Toro without Rolling Thunder there...

Looks like the lift is the only thing left I know it wasn't a great ride but seeing any ride getting demolished is sad. Now it really is rotting lumber

RT's lift hill looks like a ghost in that picture.

It's gonna be so weird riding El Toro without Rolling Thunder there...

^Even as a pile of splintered lumber, it's a better ride than Son of Beast ever was.

Edited by cfc