TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

So went to the park yesterday (Saturday) - quick summary / thoughts:

[*]Was ridiculously PACKED - there for six hours and only got on El Toro, Kingda Ka, Bizzaro, and Skyscreamer. I also ate, but everything had at least a 45 minute wait at all times (most of the time more than an hour). This even includes when the lines were long for the Fright Fest attractions

[*]Got my season pass processed - waited about 25 minutes. Appeared to be the same amount of time for rest of the day.

[*]Saw a ROLLBACK on Kingda Ka while in line - highlight of the day

[*]Fright Fest was well done. I love how they got rid of safety whistles. A lot of characters out and the actors seemed into it.

[*]The haunted attractions are a little pricy for my liking. Still have never done them.

[*]Still annoying how that pathway that used to be between Kingda Ka and El Toro is closed (have to walk all the way around to the boardwalk section

[*]I wish the park had signs throughout or an app that showed wait times. Walked 15-20 minutes to El Toro at one point only to find out it was closed. Also, we still need more single rider lines.

[*]Got free parking yesterday with my 2014 Season Pass, which I wasn't expecting. Nice.

In the end, although the day was a bit of a letdown, I still love Six Flags and plan to go back next year with the season pass I picked up (thanks for the tip Yoshi).

Today was the Key Club Day... Full queues for all the coasters. The ride operators were awesome though. There was no stacking on any of the coasters... Except Bizarro, which was double stacking with a full queue.

Nitro was running really rough. The bottom of the first drop really shook us around. One of the trains was making a weird screeching noise when it went through the turn around before the lift. Everything about Nitro needs a refurbishment. The turn before the lift looks awful. It was a mixture of gum, fading paint, dirt, and bird poop. The front of the station looks awful. The queue looks awful. The trains look awful. The seat next to me was wrapped in duct tape. It's a shame...

Batman was running amazing today though. I got a ride on the rebuilt train. There wasn't a single moment of headbanging.

It doesn't look like anything has been done to Rolling Thunder. The track looked really rusty (probably from all the rain and no trains on it in the past month).

I'm guessing that this will go up very quickly.

I hope you're right, I'm expecting it to open in late June and I'm expecting Kingda Ka to be closed for the first few months of the season while they work on it. Label me a pessimist if you want but when June rolls around we'll see if the ride is open yet.

Went to the park Saturday from open till close. It was not that crowded when it first opened. We bought the platinum Flash pass because we figured once it later the lines would get really long. We were right. Every coaster had at least a 45 min wait - even skull mountain had a almost full queue. Even some flats had a 30 minute wait.

We rode every coaster in about 2 hours and ended up getting every coaster several times throughout the day. Having the platinum pass really helped and I love that you can ride twice in a row. Riding all the coasters at night made it pretty awesome. The longest line we waited in was Houdini - about 25-30 minutes. It kept going down all day but eventually it was able to stay open.

I did not like that you had to pay for all but one haunted walk through. We skipped them all. They are way over priced. The make up on the haunts that were walking around was really good this year. The zombies in the main plaza were my favorite. They were really into it. I love that ones dragging the shovels.

I'm guessing that this will go up very quickly.

I hope you're right, I'm expecting it to open in late June and I'm expecting Kingda Ka to be closed for the first few months of the season while they work on it. Label me a pessimist if you want but when June rolls around we'll see if the ride is open yet.

I would hope it could be open by opening day or close to it.

Went to the park Saturday from open till close. It was not that crowded when it first opened. We bought the platinum Flash pass because we figured once it later the lines would get really long. We were right. Every coaster had at least a 45 min wait - even skull mountain had a almost full queue. Even some flats had a 30 minute wait.

We rode every coaster in about 2 hours and ended up getting every coaster several times throughout the day. Having the platinum pass really helped and I love that you can ride twice in a row. Riding all the coasters at night made it pretty awesome. The longest line we waited in was Houdini - about 25-30 minutes. It kept going down all day but eventually it was able to stay open.

I did not like that you had to pay for all but one haunted walk through. We skipped them all. They are way over priced. The make up on the haunts that were walking around was really good this year. The zombies in the main plaza were my favorite. They were really into it. I love that ones dragging the shovels.

I frankly can't believe the amount they charge for the Haunted Attractions - I believe $15-$20 per one after already paying admission. Seriously? Sorry, but I feel like I'm getting ripped off and am not willing to support that.

People say the economy is in the toilet, but I have to question that, given how crowded the park was on Saturday. How on earth do so many people afford this? Tickets are $70 a pop after taxes, $25 for parking, each meal is at least $10-$15 a person.

It's $8 for 1 trail or $15 for unlimited for the day or $20 for the entire Fright Fest for passholders. I'm not into the Fright Fest trails/mazes but if I were I'd go to Dorney instead where they have around 10 or 11 Haunt attractions and no extra charge.

Crowds are much lower today than over the weekend. I just got to the park around 15 minutes ago and the major coasters have 20 to 30 minute waits based on the lines I saw for Superman and Green Lantern from the parking lot and walking past Batman to get to Nitro.

The second to last Saturday during Fright Fest in 2011 reached around 40,000 guests. All of the lots were full and even at around 9 there was still a constant stream of people entering the park. That was the night my car and quite a few others were broken into.

I will be hitting up GAdv with a friend for the first time on Sunday, Oct. 27th (we will be in DC for the weekend and were going to hit up KD but decided it would be worth the drive up to GAdv). Any tips for us? Already bought us the gold flash pass, didn't want to take any chances with the crowds.

Justshowedupat the park and went stright to eltoro. In typical fright fest fassion the line was far out of the que and going over the bridge to bizzaro. Eltoro just broke down again but we have no idea what is going on. They even had track inspectors on the track! Hope this isint another major eltoro breakdown :/

Justshowedupat the park and went stright to eltoro. In typical fright fest fassion the line was far out of the que and going over the bridge to bizzaro. Eltoro just broke down again but we have no idea what is going on. They even had track inspectors on the track! Hope this isint another major eltoro breakdown :/

Maybe you should have arrived in the park at 10AM to get some rides in before the crowds. Sounds like you damn well knew there would be huge lines in the evening.

Maybe you should have arrived in the park at 10AM to get some rides in before the crowds. Sounds like you damn well knew there would be huge lines in the evening.

Yep! Really wanted to show up early but we were taking forever to leave. By the way sorry for the bad grammar before, i was typing on my cracked iphone screen. However Eltoro did open back up, not sure what closed it though.

Tonight was the most crowded of the all the Friday night Fright Fest trips to the park I went to this year but that was to be expected since the last weekend is always the most crowded. Line weren't too bad though. The only real long line I waited in was season pass processing for 40 minutes, other than that I waited 20 minutes for Green Lantern and Nitro, 10 minutes for Kingda Ka and less than 10 minutes for everything else. Nitro had trains dispatching around every 70 seconds.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask considering I sort of have a trip planning thead elsewhere on the forum, but here is probably my best shot.

We currently have Tuesday 26th May planned as our Six Flags Great Adventure day, but we also plan to come back the following morning before driving on to Dorney Park. I'm concerned that this won't be enough time to see the whole park and/or get rerides on the better coasters. I should say we're not too fussed about missing out on the flats...

Any thoughts? Do we need a second full day? Time is kind of tight at this end of our trip and I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice time at Dorney, Knoebels or Hershey.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask considering I sort of have a trip planning thead elsewhere on the forum, but here is probably my best shot.

We currently have Tuesday 26th May planned as our Six Flags Great Adventure day, but we also plan to come back the following morning before driving on to Dorney Park. I'm concerned that this won't be enough time to see the whole park and/or get rerides on the better coasters. I should say we're not too fussed about missing out on the flats...

Any thoughts? Do we need a second full day? Time is kind of tight at this end of our trip and I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice time at Dorney, Knoebels or Hershey.

You don't need a second day. Even on the most crowded day I've ever seen I was still able to ride all of the coasters at least once. Green Lantern and Superman are going to have absolutely ridiculous lines all day, so try to hit them in the evening. Start with El Toro and then just do whatever you want to really. I usually do El Toro and Bizarro and then head over to Nitro, Batman, Skull Mountain, Dark Knight, eat over there, then head back and get to what I haven't yet. I'd only go the second day if you miss El Toro or Nitro.

It really wasn't such a bad ride. I rode it that last Sunday it was operating, and while it was obviously very poorly maintained, it never picked up enough speed to be what I'd call "rough". It was boring, but a good family ride. One of the first coasters I ever went on. And if they ran the stupid thing so the trains raced, as it was designed, it could've been a lot more exciting. It's important to have those rides for kids to go on while they're still staring up in awe at all the rides they aren't tall enough for yet. Hopefully the park doesn't get rid of Runaway Mine Train or Skull Mountain, at least until it's got a suitable replacement.

One thing I'll never forget from my last ride on it is the terrible grinding noises the train made going around every turn, like the BSL in Philly going into and out of suburban station.