TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Bizarro is probably going to stay put, as it's still popular enough to justify keeping it where it is. Rolling Thunder was a walk-on, and it's an uninteresting, forceless, hideously rough waste of space that no one likes. Hell, it doesn't even have the "baby's first big-ish coaster" reason for existing, as there's still RMT.

Hey now, speak for yourself only. I actually like Rolling Thunder. To each their own that is what I say. I like classic old white rough wooden coasters. I would rather them get rid of Green Lantern or Superman than Rolling Thunder. I think both are boring coasters. But that is my opinion and a lot of people do not agree with me.

If they do get the drop tower on the side of Kingda Ka I sure hope they are ready for all the issues with wind like in Magic Mountain. From my experience that goes down a lot due to high winds. I could be wrong so I apologize if I am.

There's a difference between charmingly rough and "ow ow OW someone get me some Tylenol oh **** I think I broke something" rough. Rolling Thunder is decidedly in the latter. Made Wildcat look smooth.

• Replies 21.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bro, Jersey legalized pot not crack. Put it down.

Take a ride on the defunct "Batman & Robin: The Chiller" Roller Coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure! VIDEO:  

Posted Images

If they do get the drop tower on the side of Kingda Ka I sure hope they are ready for all the issues with wind like in Magic Mountain. From my experience that goes down a lot due to high winds. I could be wrong so I apologize if I am.

I don't think this is going to be even close to a problem. Tall towers close in high winds because they sway too much - the standalone towers are the best example (any drop tower, any SkyScreamer or Windseeker), but S:EFK/LL:DOD is also a relatively thin tower that already sways ever time a Superman car hits the tower, not to mention the extra weight now of a Lex Luthor car sitting at the top - hence the closures when it's windy.

Ka's tower doesn't move even remotely close to how much a standalone tower or even the Superman tower. You'll be able to operate a drop tower on it with wind speeds well beyond what they'll allow for any of those other towers, I guarantee it. Heck, you could probably operate it in higher winds than you should Kingda Ka if you're trying to avoid any stalls or constant rollbacks.

Bizarro is probably going to stay put, as it's still popular enough to justify keeping it where it is. Rolling Thunder was a walk-on, and it's an uninteresting, forceless, hideously rough waste of space that no one likes. Hell, it doesn't even have the "baby's first big-ish coaster" reason for existing, as there's still RMT.

Hey now, speak for yourself only. I actually like Rolling Thunder. To each their own that is what I say. I like classic old white rough wooden coasters. I would rather them get rid of Green Lantern or Superman than Rolling Thunder. I think both are boring coasters. But that is my opinion and a lot of people do not agree with me.

There's a difference between charmingly rough and "ow ow OW someone get me some Tylenol oh **** I think I broke something" rough. Rolling Thunder is decidedly in the latter. Made Wildcat look smooth.

Something must have happened in the past two weeks because Rolling Thunder running well on August 10th. I only rode it because others on TPR said it was running better since re-opening. I was hoping to prove them wrong, but it was running well.

Those appear to be the same color as Kingda Ka's tower supports.... so either we are looking at the drop tower, or ANOTHER green roller coaster...

Honestly, its kind of sad that in one part we have two yellow coasters, and 2 green coasters, and they're both right next to each other.... fail.

Those appear to be the same color as Kingda Ka's tower supports.... so either we are looking at the drop tower, or ANOTHER green roller coaster...

Honestly, its kind of sad that in one part we have two yellow coasters, and 2 green coasters, and they're both right next to each other.... fail.

We are looking at a kingda ka drop tower. And nobody is confusing Green Lantern and Kingda Ka or Nitro and Batman.

I thought Rolling Thunder was running well on Monday, it didn't seem any different than the times I have ridden the coaster in the trips to the park in the past month. I actually think its running smoother than Thunderhawk at Dorney this year.

Couldn't agree with you more. Rolling Thunder was my first wooden coaster and will always be special to me. I ride it on just about every visit to the park. I never ride Superman or Green Lantern and think that they are just a waste of space.

Personally I don't even know what an RMC treatment for a simple out-and-back like Rolling Thunder (or for that matter American Eagle at SFGAm) would even look like. Either it's be the same, but steel (what's the point), or make it a twisty layout (then it's not even close to being Rolling Thunder anymore). I'm also of the opinion that Rolling Thunder shouldn't be torn down, but I'm also not in park management.

As somebody that goes to the park regularly, I will be surprised if the Rolling Thunder rumors are true. I know they've spent a decent amount of money on maintenance but it's still the most popular family ride in the park that can be a people eater when running at full capacity. I'm not a fan of the ride and wouldn't miss it too much if it did go but I just can't see them getting rid of their most popular family ride. As far as the drop tower goes, if it's anything like Stratosfear or Dr. Doom than it should be a solid flat for the park.

Went to the park today and got some pictures of the mysterious coaster parts!

1008892993_WP_20130823_0051.thumb.jpg.33759cd215919c12ccab543077824236.jpg

PARTS OMG :)

979136631_WP_20130823_0041.thumb.jpg.3ed8db14143bb80e21cb4babcffb2544.jpg

I had to tell the Drop Off bus driver to drive over there. He was cool and showed me the parts :)

1739297876_WP_20130823_0031.thumb.jpg.66589700513ae64261467e024d710902.jpg

Some big trucks and cranes.

1989000519_WP_20130823_0021.thumb.jpg.e95fd8bc7734fd83daf880a786123499.jpg

Most of the parts.

The rumors on Screamscape said that it would be mounted to the rear of the tower, so given I know nothing about how they mount these drop rides onto pre-existing structures, what are the chances the supports will be mounted here to eliminate the slant that begins about half way up the rear column?kk.thumb.jpg.ee3774fb3896080468c7440ab345fbeb.jpg

Thick black line being supports, thin black line being 'connectors' to the main tower, and the red line being the actual ride? Original Photo from RCDB.

Pardon my terminology in the description, it may sound a little GPish. (ie. connectors)

^^ I wouldn't imagine that it would need a lot of supports, since Kingda Ka's structure should be the main support for the ride.

Except Kingda Ka's support structure isn't just straight up and down. It curves, making it pretty much mandatory to add a decent amount of supports to the structure.

Edit: ^Beat me to it.

^^ I wouldn't imagine that it would need a lot of supports, since Kingda Ka's structure should be the main support for the ride.

Except Kingda Ka's support structure isn't just straight up and down. It curves, making it pretty much mandatory to add a decent amount of supports to the structure.

Even so, it's not going to require them to use many big supports, but I had never realized KK's tower was curved, so it's going to be more than I thought.

Why would they just build it on the front face instead?

Why would they just build it on the front face instead?

If I'm not mistaken, the hydraulics room for Kingda Ka is at the base of the tower in that area.