TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Any of you know about the day locke-er rentals?

Do they allow in-out access through the day or is it once a done like the $1 ones?

Whats the price for the day ones?

And is there any ride that doesnt have a storage area for the souvenir cups where you cant take it on the ride either?

All day pricing is I think $13 and are in Adventure Alley and The Boardwalk. They also have an option for the one time use ones for $8 that allows you to use them as much as you want from ride to ride. I think all coasters allow the cups to be stored in the station except The Dark Knight where the cup holders are right at the entrance to the queue.

All day pricing is I think $13 and are in Adventure Alley and The Boardwalk. They also have an option for the one time use fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for $8 that allows you to use them as much as you want from ride to ride. I think all coasters allow the cups to be stored in the station except The Dark Knight where the cup holders are right at the entrance to the queue.

Wait im confused. $13 for one time use, $8 for all day in and out?

The $8 option means that you can move your items from location to location so that you can carry all of your articles once you are done riding. For instance, you store your items at El Toro, ride, pick up your items, then head to Nitro, store your items there, ride, then pick up your items. This option is only if you don't feel like carrying everything through the day.

The $13 option pretty much is a stationary locker and you have to go to one of the two locations whenever you need something.

If you don't have a lot to carry, and are just worried about loosing something while you are riding, you are better off going with the $8 option.

I had no clue about the concerts this weekend, so when I went to the park last night I was shocked. There were tons of people using drugs in the bathrooms, and I saw quite a few people smoking joints... One person was smoking weed while in line for Nitro. I'm not sure if security saw.

Operations were pathetic, the worst I have ever seen at Great Adventure. Rolling Thunder was stacking for at least five minutes after every single ride. Bizarro was double stacking constantly too. Even Nitro, which had 4 attendants checking, was double stacking. At Dark Knight, they almost always had to stop the cars from leaving the station because the attendants had not checked lap bars yet.

On a few good notes, Nitro had no trims on until the MCBR. The ride seemed to fly! I have never gotten so much airtime on that ride. Rolling Thunder was also running well too. The only really rough part was the hills after the turnaround.

Ride Count:

Dark Knight 1x

Rolling Thunder 1x

Bizarro 1x

Nitro 1x

Green Lantern 1x

Superman 1x (No wait... Rode right as park was closing.)

I was also shocked to see Kingda Ka have an almost full queue right before closing, when Superman and Green Lantern were dispatching partially empty trains.

Here is my little review of the coasters here-

Batman - Didn't Ride

Bizarro - I believe I found this a bit more forceful than Scream, with a great Zero-G roll and smooth cobra roll. Not to mention the theming.

Blackbeard - This kiddie/family coaster can be quite vicious in the back alone in terms of sliding back and forth.

Dark Knight - The fastest line on a Wild Mouse I've seen, along with what is likely the most intense ride on a Wild Mouse that I've had. But its still a Wild Mouse.

El Toro - El Freakin' Toro. Need I say more? With extreme airtime and tight twists, this ride is epic!

Green Lantern - With no trims, I was expecting a ride as forceful, if not more than Mantis. What I got was a drop that seemed less steep and a more drawn-out, less forceful first half. The second half was quite good, however.

Kingda Ka - This ride has a weird launch - it seems more and less intense at the same time. Also, the airtime hill does give some floater. The trim brakes atop the tower can be noticed in some seats. The descent from the tower can be bumpy in some seats. On another note, I could have sworn that we advanced onto the launch area before the next train cleared the tower. We then had to wait a while to launch.

Nitro - Let me get this out of the way - this ride is overrated. I did not enjoy its airtime at all. Its forceful helix was a bit different from the B&M hyper that I'm used to (Diamondback), but the bunny hops were not as good as expected. Sitting up front slightly enhances the bunny hills.

Road Runner Railway - Didn't ride

Rolling Thunder (Left) - I didn't feel much airtime near the back. The ride started smooth, but was bumpy near the end. A mediocre ride, if you ask me.

Runaway Mine Train - This ride has some weird restraints that I've never seen before. Anyways, the ride gets more and more intense as it goes on. It is also unusual as being the only true mine train that I've rode with a single lift hill (excluding Gemini.)

Skull Mountain - The ride's brief outdoor cave section before the main lift is unusual, as is the first tiny lift. While this ride had some exciting turns, it also had a shoddy building, in particular the huge hole near the brake run where they store random stuff, it appears.

Superman - Didn't ride.

Dark Knight intense for a wild mouse?

Interesting, I thought that ride WEAK for a wild mouse! We didn't get the "flung out" feeling on any of the turns...

Anyway welcome to my home park! It's kind of a dump with only a handful of rides open and only a few good coasters to be honest.

I always said they should just take Nitro, El Toro and KK move em elsewhere and level that whole place.

Anyway welcome to my home park! It's kind of a dump with only a handful of rides open and only a few good coasters to be honest.

I always said they should just take Nitro, El Toro and KK move em elsewhere and level that whole place.

SFGAdv has more than a "few" good coasters. Sure, not all of them are world class coasters like the ones you mentioned, but all of them are at least somewhat enjoyable. There are far worse coaster collections out there.

Edited by Coaster_Fanatic

If only, if only, if only... except I'd say Bizarro can come too. I'm pretty resentful that those four rides keep dragging me back to that awful place.

Oops, I forgot Batman the Ride. I do love that one, still one of the most forceful rides there are! That one can be moved also

I mean the coaster selection is solid but eh...that's at best. It's a shame, used to be a great park.

Irony, I still like Nitro more than the average enthusiast seems to. Fast, smooth, nice layout (love the helix) and I usually get strong/sustained floater on it.

It has had bad days, but generally that's a sweet ride. It just doesn't hold up as well with all the airtime monsters that have been built

Kingda Ka - This ride has a weird launch - it seems more and less intense at the same time. Also, the airtime hill does give some floater. The trim brakes atop the tower can be noticed in some seats. The descent from the tower can be bumpy in some seats. On another note, I could have sworn that we advanced onto the launch area before the next train cleared the tower. We then had to wait a while to launch.

You sure you weren't just in the "staging area" of the launch? That is how they use to run the ride during four train operation. They would send both trains out of the station, the first train would launch, then the second train would park itself on the launch waiting for the block to clear before launching.

SFGAdv has more than a "few" good coasters. Sure, not all of them are world class coasters like the ones you mentioned, but all of them are at least somewhat enjoyable. There are far worse coaster collections out there.

I can agree with that, but Skull Mountain was REALLY bad. If I had the choice to level any coaster on the planet, it would be Skull Mountain.

I can agree with that, but Skull Mountain was REALLY bad. If I had the choice to level any coaster on the planet, it would be Skull Mountain.

Hey now, I remember liking it a lot when I was 9. It's important having "in between" coasters like that. Sure it gives off a depressing sense of neglect like most of the park, but other than that what about it is SO bad? I think with a little sprucing up it could be a fine family coaster.

I have to defend Nitro here. Everyone has picked on Nitro this year but this is the first year it hasn't been running well so I don't like that people have the wrong idea about this ride that rode it for the first time like a poster a while back. Nitro is 1 of the few complete rides out there which is why I still consider it an elite coaster. I admit it's not running great this year but it's still a great coaster.

I am 1 of the few enthusiasts that's not a fan of Batman. It always hurts my legs or another body part and I feel it's too much about g's. I prefer Great Bear and Great Nor Easter over it.

Like GAdv or not, it may be the best park in the SF chain and has a great collection of coasters for a reasonable price if you look at the coasters you get for the season pass. For that, I'm still greatful it's my home park and I'd put it right up there with Cedar Point, Hersheypark, etc.

I feel terribly that people think so poorly of Great Adventure. I really love this park (in fact I'm going again on the 12th), and I think the coaster collection is pretty spot-on for creating an enjoyable day. My home park is Dorney, and SFGAdv's coasters surely pummel Dorney's straight into the ground. I've never really had a bad experience here, too bad that others seem to frequently have them. Oh well. I'll always enjoy this park! And that's all that matters for me

Like I said, it was a GREAT park but it slowly went down hill, and as for the coaster selection...it's just decent IMO

Great ones: Toro, KK, Nitro (though many dont really like that one)

Good: Bizarro, but its not great. Batman the Ride, but its not anything unique, at all. You could come here and skip it honestly.

Superman, always a huge wait and not a very good ride.

Rolling Thunder, kinda crap. OK at best.

Green Lantern. OK.

Runaway Train, well its a mine train. Its kinda fun actually but just a mine ride.

Skull Mountain, fun but well...family ride.

Dark Knight: Not bad, but just a wild mouse.

What really pissed me off is slowly all the non coaster rides have been removed (though only 1/3 were ever running on a given day) now it's just a few coasters, and a few rides. Overall it has a dirty feel, and other huge parks like Hershey and even CP don't feel nearly as dirty. There's little green at SFGAdv, everything is done half assed there. I really wish I could just pay per ride, so I can do the ones I want and leave. And it's sad because every year it got a bit worse...

And I know everyone laments how big parks don't have that same "feel" of a small park, and I get that but really...Cedar Point doesn't feel as corporate and bleh to me, even though it obviously is a massive park.

I have to defend Nitro here. Everyone has picked on Nitro this year but this is the first year it hasn't been running well so I don't like that people have the wrong idea about this ride that rode it for the first time like a poster a while back. Nitro is 1 of the few complete rides out there which is why I still consider it an elite coaster. I admit it's not running great this year but it's still a great coaster.

I am 1 of the few enthusiasts that's not a fan of Batman. It always hurts my legs or another body part and I feel it's too much about g's. I prefer Great Bear and Great Nor Easter over it.

Like GAdv or not, it may be the best park in the SF chain and has a great collection of coasters for a reasonable price if you look at the coasters you get for the season pass. For that, I'm still greatful it's my home park and I'd put it right up there with Cedar Point, Hersheypark, etc.

I havn't been yet this year. Nitro has been running poorly? That is upsetting, it was still my second favorite in the park. You are right, complete ride and was just so much fun.

Even last year, I went twice and one day it was great but another it was a let down. Threw it up to a bad day but perhaps it's trending this way now

I went to school in PA so I kinda made Hershey my adopted home park, I still go every year, and I try to get to CP every year so that's my vaca park, but you are right... I'm just being a bit spoiled, for many Great Adventure is probably better than what they have. Since I can go so easily I can better appreciate smaller but nice parks like Dorney even. I'll admit I'm spoiled but still most of my friends agree and prefer Hershey or CP (to those who have been to them)

SHORT VERSION: To quote what was just said in the SFMM thread. I get parks as businesses, I get it. But Great Adventure makes it painfully obvious...they half ass everything if they even bother, and it's in your face they're $$ over people. I'm sure Cedar Point and Hershey are the same but it doesn't feel nearly as bad!

Edited by JJLehto