TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

After riding Colossos on the Europe trip this summer I decided I must get up SFGAdv and ride El Toro. I'm limited with time but was going to fly up the weekend of Sept 22/23. I'm planning on driving down to the park on the 23rd but need some local experts help:

1) I know FrightFest starts on the 22nd... Should I expect crazy crowds? I'm going with Flash Pass regardless just trying to decide if it would be worth getting one of the higher levels.

It really depends. Fright Fest can be totally hit or miss, crowd wise. I wish I could give you some more solid information than that but I've been there on days when it's totally dead during FF, and days when I got in 2 rides in 4 hours. Seeing as you're going the weekend it opens, I would expect heavier crowds rather than lighter unless it turns out the weather might drive some people away.

2) What's everyone's thoughts on travel time (driving) from the park to the Newark International Airport...My flight leaves at 8pm. Directions say it is just over a hour drive. Is that true? I figured leaving the park around 5 would get me to the airport shortly after 6 and give me time to return the car and get to the gate (I'm not checking bags).

Without traffic, drive time from SF to Newark should be about 1hr 20. NJ always has traffic, though, and you'll be nearing Newark on the tail-end of rush hour just a few miles from NYC. Even though most people will be outbound from the city, you'll probably hit some delays, not to mention all the construction on the NJ turnpike and parkway. I'd plan for 1hr 45 from SF-Newark that time of day, to be on the safe side.

I have never seen lights crowds during FrightFest at SFGAdv, plan accordingly.

Although traffic shouldn't be too bad at that time, I'd plan for 1hour 45 minutes just to be safe. There is on-going contruction on the New Jersey Turnpike just north of the Great Adventure exit.

Last year at Fright Fest I managed to get incredibly light crowds. Got on every major ride except for KK, which was broken down. Plus two rides on Nitro and SEVEN rides on El Toro, all within six hours. But that was a fluke I think; it was raining on and off all day, then stopped as soon as I reached the park.

It's a crapshoot I guess. Bring your lucky rabbit's foot.

So I lost my iPod on Nitro a few days ago. When I went to the Lost & Found they were closed but they gave me a number to call. I've called every day and nobody answers. Does anyone know if there are certain times when they are open? It seems odd but maybe they have certain hours. Also, if by some reason they do have it (I think it fell out of my pocket when I was getting out of the seat, not during the ride) would I have to go to the park to get it back? Thanks in advance.

I lost my iPhone on nitro around 9:00am. At 11:00am, I went to the lost and found to file an official claim and they had already found it. They have a dedicated "picking team" that walks the ride paths and collects all lost items. I was seriously impressed that they already had found it. You should contact the lost and found department in person( because you will have to identify something original/specific about your item) as they probably have your iPod .

Lost and Found is located on the far north side of main street, closest to Nitro. I believe their operating hours are park open to 5:00pm.

2) What's everyone's thoughts on travel time (driving) from the park to the Newark International Airport...My flight leaves at 8pm. Directions say it is just over a hour drive. Is that true?

I'd allow 2 - 2.5 hours just in-case. Even though it's only 10 miles from 7a (The Six Flags exit) to the split... it can be 10 miles of pure hell since it's a Sunday. By the way when you're driving south on the turnpike (towards the park) make sure you get in the cars-trucks and buses lanes and not the car lane. The car lane sucks hard.

So I lost my iPod on Nitro a few days ago. When I went to the Lost & Found they were closed but they gave me a number to call. I've called every day and nobody answers. Does anyone know if there are certain times when they are open? It seems odd but maybe they have certain hours. Also, if by some reason they do have it (I think it fell out of my pocket when I was getting out of the seat, not during the ride) would I have to go to the park to get it back? Thanks in advance.

I lost my iPhone on nitro around 9:00am. At 11:00am, I went to the lost and found to file an official claim and they had already found it. They have a dedicated "picking team" that walks the ride paths and collects all lost items. I was seriously impressed that they already had found it. You should contact the lost and found department in person( because you will have to identify something original/specific about your item) as they probably have your iPod .

Lost and Found is located on the far north side of main street, closest to Nitro. I believe their operating hours are park open to 5:00pm.

A few years ago a lady friend of mine lost her phone somewhere within the park. We did not realize that she did not have it until we had already made it home. When we called the park, they had found it and even shipped it to us! They told us they had found it by el toro, about a foot from the water!

Andrew,

It might be easier to fly into Philadelphia International, the drive it the same distance to SF as from Newark (probably a little shorter) and traffic is guaranteed to be less...

I wouldn't say that since the entire turnpike between Six Flags and the Phillie exit is a work zone right now. I think they're extending the truck lanes until that exit and prolonging the merge which is going to be awesome... but for not just makes everything more of a clusterfu**k.

You are right about the turnpike, but between Exit 6 and Exit 7A is only ~10 miles, the Newark plan risks spending much more time on the Turnpike. I've made it from Western Philadelphia to Rutgers (Exit 9 on the Turnpike) in 1hr20mins regularly during the edges of friday rush hour both ways for work, it can be done relatively easily even with the construction traffic... however due to the construction it can clog up at random times for seemingly no reason (most likely accident related).

The best path is as follows... You can avoid the turnpike completely if you follow 95 North from Philly Intl to Trenton, NJ then get on 195 where it starts East of Trenton. It is guaranteed to be less hassle than dealing with the NYC/Newark area or getting on the NJ Turnpike at any time.

They've been doing work on the New Jersey Turnpike in that area, but I don't think that they've closed lanes - just narrowed them. My friends and I certainly had little issues in April when we went and they were tearing it up.

Thanks so much for the info. I actually saw someone walking around picking stuff up as I went through the MCBR on Nitro (same ride I lost my iPod on). Hope I can get to the park! I live 1.5 hours away, but if I convince my family to get the 2013 season pass we can get in free for the rest of 2012 so it won't be that big of a deal.

El Toro - 1 train operation.

I was at Great Adventure the last 2 days. I was at my only ACE event (don't boo me) "Riding of the Bull Cuatro" yesterday. The event was amazing, but not as fun as the TPR events! The A train is off the track and they're only running 1 train. This was true even during out event. The entire top of car 2 is off, so all you see is the chassis. Always the staff hustles on that ride, but 1 train operation is unbearable! I know they're only open now Saturdays and Sundays until Fright Fest begins, so this was maintenance problem was puzzling.

I hope it's back to normal for next weekend's operation.

El Toro my #1 Woodie

^ I was there this weekend as well and did notice El Toros 1 train operation. I did not like the fact that everything in the park had no lines and was operating at full cappicity but El Toro, hopefully the train gets put back in operation ASAP. Also did you perhaps see the baby otters they have in Safari Discoveries? They are only 9 weeks old and are very cute! Also I think Bizarros crew moved to Rolling thunder since they are very slow on that ride now. Also while I'm talking about Rolling Thunder, did those of you who have ridden it and hated it, did you ride on the side closest to the enterence of the ride? If so, then I found that side to be boring and rough and the other side to be smooth.

Also did you perhaps see the baby otters they have in Safari Discoveries? They are only 9 weeks old and are very cute!

Where in the park is the Safari Discoveries? I have an idea where it is but I think I always end up walking right past it.

Does Rolling Thunder ever give any airtime? Just wondering, as I'd be surprised.

I finally found out the correct answer to that this season, and shockingly enough, it's a YES! Granted, it was a stormy day, but I rode in a presumably-non-magical seat toward the front and was very surprised at feeling some airtime after feeling none in the back car on multiple rides (both sides) last year. Others in various seats reported similar rides.

Also did you perhaps see the baby otters they have in Safari Discoveries? They are only 9 weeks old and are very cute!

Where in the park is the Safari Discoveries? I have an idea where it is but I think I always end up walking right past it.

It's the old tiger show and adjacent area, with the entrance on the path to Kingda Ka and exit through the Golden Kingdom gift shop (but I think I've entered there before too).

It's the old tiger show and adjacent area, with the entrance on the path to Kingda Ka and exit through the Golden Kingdom gift shop (but I think I've entered there before too).

Ah, thanks! I totally walked right past that this year.