TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

From an e-mail I received today:

The NEW GREEN LANTERN coaster is ahead of schedule and will run exclusively for Season Pass Holders begining Thursday afternoon, May 19 - 22, before the ride opens to the public on May 25.

^ The coaster will be open on the 21st

It's really awesome of SF to have Green Lantern open just for passholders. It will probably be one of the few times all season it will either be a walk on or a very short wait, especially the Thursday and Friday since even though there will be school trips there, I doubt most kids on their trips will be passholders.

How many complaints is SF going to get from non passholders? I can see people getting angry just like at Disney how people staying offsite get angry when they try to go to an attraction during extra magic hours and get annoyed that they aren't allowed to. Regardless, I hope they don't get so many complaints that they stop doing this since I think it is great to reward those who have season passes with ERT.

A Green Lantern construction tour was hosted by the park this past Tuesday and some of my site's members got to go to it, so here is some info that you may all enjoy!

-The Green Lantern track is complete and ahead of schedule, It will have its Media Day on May 19th and open to the GP on May 25th.

-Season Passholders will get exclusive rides on it from May 19th-22nd

-The Golden Kingdom no longer has Balin's Jungleland or tigers, but it does have a whole new Safari Discoveries walkthrough with many baby animals that you can get up close to

-Kingda Ka will only run 3 trains this season and use only one side of the station and the front loading gates only. This was clarified by the park that it would increase capacity and reliability and has been working with Intamin on this as well.

-Lockers are staying, but souvenir cup holders will be available for riders.

-In the Q&A with the Park President, John Fitzgerald, he mentioned that they are looking to add more flats to the park in 2012

-Lots of corporate sponsorships are gone, No more Papa Johns or Carnegie Deli

Here are a few pictures:

There's a bunch more photos on the site if you're interested but you need to be a member to view them.

A Green Lantern construction tour was hosted by the park this past Tuesday and some of my site's members got to go to it, so here is some info that you may all enjoy!

-The Green Lantern track is complete and ahead of schedule, It will have its Media Day on May 19th and open to the GP on May 25th.

-Season Passholders will get exclusive rides on it from May 19th-22nd

-The Golden Kingdom no longer has Balin's Jungleland or tigers, but it does have a whole new Safari Discoveries walkthrough with many baby animals that you can get up close to

-Kingda Ka will only run 3 trains this season and use only one side of the station and the front loading gates only. This was clarified by the park that it would increase capacity and reliability and has been working with Intamin on this as well.

-Lockers are staying, but souvenir cup holders will be available for riders.

-In the Q&A with the Park President, John Fitzgerald, he mentioned that they are looking to add more flats to the park in 2012

-Lots of corporate sponsorships are gone, No more Papa Johns or Carnegie Deli

Did I understand you correctly, that all the live tigers are gone?? I guess in more ways than one Kingda Ka is gone!!

Guest load and unload only out of one station they will not unload out of the second station. They did this to improve dispatches they will get around 65 an hr now one train about every 55 seconds instead of every 65 with 4 trains.

Edited by medusa99

^ they definitely need to tweak that. I was there today. This system would beat out the 4 station system if they unloaded in the back station and didn't wait for the next train to dispatch to launch the first train.

That's too bad they are only unloading and loading from the same area.

Did I understand you correctly, that all the live tigers are gone?? I guess in more ways than one Kingda Ka is gone!!

The tigers were moved to the safari

I agree that the second station should be a unload. But I was told at the average time to unload and load the train with 4 people on it should only be 35 seconds so the trains should not be sitting for long. The crew that was there today was new and taking way to long to check a train they only had 4-5 seats to check. It was kinda sad but it was the first day it will improve. Give it time and all the bugs will be worked out and hopefully there will be less wait times and down time.

They can still change when they launch. The first train and allow it to just stack on the breaks but if that do that it will go very slow around the turn its just the way ka was designed.

Why in the world can't they use both stations and all four trains on Kingda Ka after this long? What's the problem with unloading/loading/dispatching two trains at a time on alternating sides? It seems like this is the most efficient way to do things. If not that, use the back part of the station for unloading only, then dispatch one train at a time from each side like Storm Runner.

They tested all ways during the off season and this is the best according to them the ride its self is fine everything Works. The left station will only be for back up as well as the forth train they will get more through put this way. I do not see why everyone is making a big deal about this if they found a way to get 10 more trains out an hour I am all for it. And now they have a back up plan in case anything happens to a train or one of the stations. If anything they could of made a big improvement. Just give it time and let the new employees get in to the flow of working at the park. I have worked With the people who made these changes and believe me they thought of all the pros. And cons. Before even touching the ride.this was not just made up over night they put time and thought into it.

I guess if it really does increase capacity then that's fine. I shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions just because it's Six Flags. Last time I rode KK the crew actually did an excellent job.

Not sure what happened to the original post that I replied to so I am sure my first post did not make much sense.

As others who were there yesterday have said. I am ok with the change if it results in shorter wait times but it did not yesterday. Too many "human factors" slow down loading on that ride. (Person who doesn't fit, brought a bag on the ride, forgot to take off a hat or glasses) The old system allowed for problems like that and even handled equipment problems much better.

I rode around 2:30 Saturday and they had to shut the ride down because the tain they were trying to check was having problems. (Couldn't see for sure but it looked like a restraint would not release) While this went on a train was sitting waiting to be launched. Using the 4 station/4 train system they would continue to operate one side when something like this happened.

I think you will see them change it back but we will see. Also did they forget that most people judge wait times based on their perception and not a stop wach they carry around? People move in line and get to the station quicker in the old system and your average guest likes that a lot better.