TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I wasn't necessarily thinking audio, more along the lines of fire or mist effects, or something along those lines. I mean they're going to have to do some interesting theming on the yellow section if their's a point in having a portion of track painted differently, right?

Speaking of theming... I really don't understand why we now have 2 rides in the Boardwalk section of the park themed to superhero / villains.

The "Boardwalk" area of the park hasn't had theming that made sense since I first started going to GADV back in the mid 90's. Back then it was military themed, featuring the parachute drop ride, the space shuttle (inverter swinging ship), Escape from Dino Island -- The 3d/4d theater attraction (which featured a fighter jet outside the building), and of course the Great American Scream Machine. Along with GASM the whole area (including the bathrooms) sported Red, White and Blue colors and other military base type markings. If anything it's less odd now that there are two superhero themed rides in that area instead of us Superman.

I may be alone in this, but I never went to SF-GADV for the good theming in the park. I'm a coaster junkie and would spend my days making B-lines from coaster to coaster. So I couldn't care less what section of the park they are building Green Lantern. I'm just looking forward to finally getting to ride one of the big B&M stand-ups (My only one so far has been Georgia Scorcher).

Oh I agree completely. The theming makes no sense nor has the theming in that park ever made sense. I mean look at when they added Medusa. It was built in the Frontier section and had "Medusa Mining Company" signs all over the place to make it fit. Yet the ride was bright Green and Purple. Doesn't seem very frontier-like to me at all. It's an awesome ride though, and that's all I've ever really cared about when going to GADV.

Plus I actually find the park's theming kinda funny. It appeals to my ADD .

Well of all the Six Flags parks, none of them are really applauded for world class theming. They try, and Great Adventure has some of the better themes that the chain can offer. So I wouldn't hold my breath too much on this one. TGK and PDC look nice. I mean, yes, there's no water in the boardwalk area, but meh. What's in a name, anyway?

I drove past Great Adventure this morning.

I noticed:

Green Lantern's second inversion is beginning to take shape.

There were MANY cars parked in the parking lot for offseason

Parking lot skyline is looking vastly different with Green Lantern standing instead of GASM

The 2nd inversion has been up for a while.

Here's a picture from right now on their website.

EDIT: You can see some of the yellow track that looks like it's installed at the bottom of the picture.

1307704272_GreenLanternConstruction.png.bffab7c1eb0ce66abbb633209a27ca95.png

The cool turn-around over the station is being worked on as we speak.

Oh I agree completely. The theming makes no sense nor has the theming in that park ever made sense. I mean look at when they added Medusa. It was built in the Frontier section and had "Medusa Mining Company" signs all over the place to make it fit. Yet the ride was bright Green and Purple. Doesn't seem very frontier-like to me at all. It's an awesome ride though, and that's all I've ever really cared about when going to GADV.

I agree. I love the thought process, "What could be further from Western than Greek Mythology? Oh I know! Screwed up purple Superman that failed English class!" I do appreciate the mix of the well-themed (Plaza del Carnaval, Golden Kingdom), and the random (everything else). But yeah, obviously the main reason I go is for the amazing coaster collection.

GreatAdventureTV

Just when you thought Great Adventure couldn't get any better

A multimedia organization formed by two park employees to showcase ALL things Six Flags Great Adventure. All the time. Videos, Trip Reports, and even Vlogs!

Twitter.com/GadvTV

Youtube.com/User/GreatAdventureTV

Coming Soon...securedownload.jpg.ee74ee2a0d74953344f2747138b8505f.jpg

^Somebody who doesn't know the existance of theming, ride rehabs, empty concrete slabs, taking care of whats already there, water rides, flat rides, ride distribution, having the entitre park open, a reduced ad environment, non-superhero themed rides, non SBNO rides, etc.

Green Lantern has got to be one of the most intimidating B&M's around. In pictures it looks as if the ride is far away from the path however in person it is right on top of you. This was one of the first time I got chills looking at a coaster.

If it's like Mantis it'll be loud too, adding to that intimidation factor.

I agree. I love the thought process, "What could be further from Western than Greek Mythology? Oh I know! Screwed up purple Superman that failed English class!" I do appreciate the mix of the well-themed (Plaza del Carnaval, Golden Kingdom), and the random (everything else). But yeah, obviously the main reason I go is for the amazing coaster collection.

Your Bizzaro joke was perfect!

^ Batman & Nitro are both yellow and next to each other that didn't stop them, and GL has a darker shade of green then KK. have you been or even seen pictures of Cedar Point they painted Iron Dragon the same colors of TTD and they are right next to each other. Plus do you think they are going to color a coaster themed to Green Lantern and thing other then green ( I understand they are making the corkscrews yellow) .