TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Got a 2011 Season Pass for Christmas! Will definetly be hitting GADV quite often this year!

Just recently, I passed by Jackson to go to my parents house. Seeing Kingda Ka poking out above the trees, I decided to try and drive around to see if I could find a SMALL spot where I could spot Green Lantern...

I ended up discovering:

- The entrance gate was locked (And I mean LOCKED) shut.

- The area around the entrance was completely deserted.

- Green Lantern is looking great! It really does tower over the parking lot!

I just hope the Memorial Day predicted opening is true. I hope this doesn't end up like The Chiller, where we had to wait A WHOLE YEAR to be able to ride it.

Good to hear.

It's just that, GADV has had a bad problem with opening coasters EXTREMELY late from their original project date.

For example, Shockwave was PROJECTED to be opened on Opening Day. Nope.

Memorial Day Weekend, nope.

It opened about a week or so AFTER Memorial Weekend, I think.

Same thing with Viper, but that was a POS.

But yes, HOPEFULLY the same delays Shockwave experienced won't happen to Green Lantern.

Just to be clear, Green Lantern will NOT be ready on opening day. I have a relative that has been in their maintenance department for many years and that's how I know this.

The park already announced a while back it'll be opening Memorial Day weekend, not opening day weekend.

Shockwave opened 21 years ago, Viper opened 16 years ago. Are you really worried about what happened 16 and 21 years ago?

Nah, it just seems that GADV's new coasters are incredibly prone to not being open on it's tenative date.

It wasn't JUST Viper or Shockwave, also included are Kingda Ka, GASM, El Toro, B&A: The Chiller (Which was, admittingly, excusable) and Batman.

Not saying they need to do a better job, just saying that USUALLY, new GADV coasters don't open on the day they're predicted to, which is understandable, but seems to be a curse.

It's not a curse. Less we forget, roller coasters ARE machines, meaning they are going to have operational hiccups. Especially on the first day the coaster has riders hourly. It's certainly not a Gadv or Six Flags thing. However with Green Lantern already being 13 years old, I'm sure any problems that would prevent it from opening on time have come and gone. Time will tell.

Green lantren may be an old ride, but rember they are going to program the ride to run 3 trains. I am sure it will have its fair share of down time. As far as ride opening they need to speed up with building the station so they can start putting the computers togather and programing the ride and get it ready for testing.

Six Flags Great Adventure Facebook: we'll have a new area called Safari Discoveries. There will be exotic animals and up-close, educational encounters--you'll see baby animals from our Wild Safari, chat with our "Please Touch" ambassadors (who will showcase different animals throughout the day), walk through Parakeet Paradise (an aviary with free flying birds) and our California sea lions will live in the facility at the underwater viewing pool area.

A new area?? I think the entire Temple of the Tiger may become a seperate area from Golden Kingdom. But, this sounds WAY better than what I was expecting. Some key points, Walk Through Parakeet Paradise, sounds like a lot of fun for the families and underwater viewing pool area for the California Sea Lions. The tigers will be missed but from the looks of it, we are getting something just as good! Six Flags Great Adventure is offering a lot of new experiences next year!

I still can't get over how weird it looks without Scream Machine.

This coaster is coming along great though. Can't wait to ride it.

I agree.

I am still not sure how I feel about a green coaster next to another green coaster, but it makes sense because of the name/ theme. I will miss gasm. I was one of the few people that actually enjoyed the ride.

It's hard to tell from that last picture, but is that the exit of superman near the bottom?

I still can't get over how weird it looks without Scream Machine.

This coaster is coming along great though. Can't wait to ride it.

I agree.

I am still not sure how I feel about a green coaster next to another green coaster, but it makes sense because of the name/ theme. I will miss gasm. I was one of the few people that actually enjoyed the ride.

It's hard to tell from that last picture, but is that the exit of superman near the bottom?

Nah, that's the queue. If you were referring to the pathway under the drop.

I dunno why and maybe it's just me or the parking lot location, but the ride looks out place. Almost awkward how far the ride is outside the GASM park boundaries. They've got this huge park and this is the only location they could find for the ride?

There were rumors it was originally going to be built near the Congo Rapids but was cheaper to build it where GASM was. It would have been nice to add Green Lantern elsewhere in the park and keep Scream Machine.