TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Liking the technical discussion guys! Learning a lot from y'all.

If so, that must be a newer program on SB, because on earlier 90's B&M inverts, the lift flat out sets up if the next block isn't clear. An employee has to go out to the lift and reset it for it to start up again (this is how Raptor works).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "sets up," but I'm assuming that means the chain stops and has to be reset if the train is dispatched to lift before it clears the safety brake block (or block brakes if you're talking about a ride like Raptor). To the best of my knowledge that's not how Batman at Magic Mountain works. It does the same thing as Silver Bullet, it will advance to lift once the train ahead of it clears the lift block, but if train 1 has not cleared the first set of safety brakes while train 2 approaches the top of the lift it will come to a slow or stop until the block ahead of it is clear.There's no reset, the chain starts up again and the train is sent off the lift to the circuit.

Of course the only realistic time this would happen on Batman is during testing at the beginning of the day, its practically impossible to dispatch trains that fast on Batman with guests. I'm not doubting your facts and I believe you about Raptor, it just seems a bit of a pain in the ass to have an employee walk up the lift to reset the chain with guests on board if your timing is off.

I see coaster trains stopping just before pulling into the station often, even when the other train is long gone. Isn't that for safety reasons?

Eric

The only reason this would happen is if the operators aren't pushing the dispatch/advance button as the train approaches the station. So in that respect it is for safety reasons because it ensures the train doesn't come into the station without the approval of the operators to advance the train.

However, it doesn't mean the train is required to come to a stop every single time before the train comes into the station. I wasn't certified for all the rides at both parks so I can't say ALL of them are the same, but at Knott's and Magic Mountain, if operators are running the ride well and are holding the dispatch button as the train comes into the transfers/waiting, the train can go right from the transfer/waiting to the station without stopping. Basically if they're doing their job well, once the ride starts and the train gets moving up the lift, you shouldn't come to a complete stop the entire ride until you're all the way back in the station. As we know at parks like Magic Mountain, this rarely happens due to operators talking/picking their noses.

I'm not doubting your facts and I believe you about Raptor, it just seems a bit of a pain in the A$$ to have an employee walk up the lift to reset the chain with guests on board if your timing is off.

It was. It only happens if the employees are dispatching trains too quickly, so it doesn't happen with guests unless it's really cold/windy and the train's crawling through the block brake.

Just about every ride can be started in bypass mode without having to send employees up the lift or out to the blocks. Most parks do not want want to do it this way however gadv requires the employees to restart the lift and blocks by having employees at the location where the trains has stopped. But on most rides if there is no train on the lift it can be restarted at the bottom of the lift. And on taller rides like Nitro or bizaro/medusa if the train is at the bottom of the lift you only have to go half way up to restart but if it is half way or any higher you have to go all the way up the lift to restart. Gasm was the only ride where you could restart it from the bottom no matter where the train was.

The B&M I operated for 5 years had a "creep" mode on the lift that will slow the lift down in the event of the other train not clearing the main brake to prevent a set-up. In the event there was a set-up, the train on the lift would stop until main brake and the service brake was clear. At that time the lift would restart automatically. All of B&Ms "main/safety" brakes consist of safety brake and a service brake. The train has not cleared main/safety brake until its passed the service brake. The lift never has to be reset unless it was stopped by the dispatcher, during set-up testing/block check or in the event of an RTL.

I'm not sure about Batman because I've never worked on it, but I know Superman will stop or creep up the lift if the train behind it is not yet in the station. However the lift will restart itself once the other train has parked, no need for any employee to jog the lift from the panel on the base of the lift.

Also on a side note, the Great Adventure facebook page has just announced the Green Lantern cam. No live stream yet but it will be up soon.

Link

Edited by signaltwo

Hey everyone, the last 6 pages are very informative but we need everyone to use proper capitalization, grammar, punctuation and spell check. Some of these posts are taking much longer to decipher and read than necessary due to mistakes.

I'm not going to post specific examples or call any out but it has to stop.

Thank you.

I have a random question for the Great Adventure enthusiasts.

Would SFGAdv open both sides of Rolling Thunder on a Friday in July?

I'm making my first trip out there this summer and I want to make sure I get on all the coasters, except the kiddie ones.

Most likely, yes. They did so on weekdays (like a Wednesday) in July this past season. And c'mon, ride the kiddie coasters. .

I have a random question for the Great Adventure enthusiasts.

Would SFGAdv open both sides of Rolling Thunder on a Friday in July?

I'm making my first trip out there this summer and I want to make sure I get on all the coasters, except the kiddie ones.

Most likely, yes. They did so on weekdays (like a Wednesday) in July this past season. And c'mon, ride the kiddie coasters. .

Awesome! Yes! I love getting on rides while they actually race. Racer and Gemini are both awesome because of that.

Haha. I'll ride Blackbeard and Skull Mountain, but isn't there an even smaller Miler one? Those usually have height restrictions.