TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Dark Knight was May 15th, El Toro was June 12th, Kingda Ka was a little before Memorial Day. On the park's Facebook page last month someone asked if the ride would be open by Spring Break and the park said they were going to try to have it open by then, I'm expecting sometime in mid May when the park goes to daily operations (or almost daily operations since this year the park is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays until after Memorial Day),

If opening day for Green Lantern is the same day as Student Council Day like the Dark Knight opening was (and it was the first day of daily operations), I am avoiding the opening. I remember reading wait times for the coaster were around 90 minutes with all the school trips there.

I went one week after opening day during spring break last year which turned into a disaster. All tickets were $10 off (I think to get more crowds in since on opening day the high was 40 degrees!), it was the first nice day so far in 2010 (high 70s and sunny), and since it was only their 3rd day open, rides were breaking down left and right. I waited 2 hours for superman immediately after opening because it broke down for an hour (including cycling empty trains for 30 minutes), El Toro was running one train on and off which ended up being 2 1/2 hours in the sun because they didn't put up the shade things yet, and Kingda Ka was 4 HOURS (the line was well into the golden kingdom) with two trains and bad operations (one train every 4-5 minutes).

so basically I wouldn't go in the first few weeks.

Unless there is some type of special promotion on a specific day, April is the time to go. For the past 5 years I've gone to SFGAdv practically every Sunday in April. It's the least crowded time and Sundays are much less crowded than Saturdays.

It will still be more crowded than a normal April weekend day, I am not sure how much worse it will be though.

^Easter could screw with your plans this year with it being in late April.

I agree Spring Break week itself is going to be especially bad since this year the park is only open the week before Easter and not the week after Easter like last year. I made the mistake of going the Thursday before Easter as well last year and it was one of the worst trips to the park I ever had. I used my Funatics Exit Pass for Nitro and it still took 20 minutes, the regular line was almost a full queue and the Flashpass line was out of the station and down the stairs. I only ended up riding Nitro and The Dark Knight which was around 30 minutes and left after standing in Scream Machine's line and barely moving in 10 minutes. Even Easter Sunday could be more crowded since it was always a buyout for a Jewish group with passholders allowed too but this year the park is open to everyone.

After NYC schools went back last year on Wednesday of the 2nd week, the park was empty.

I am probably still going to take a chance and go on opening weekend on Sunday and either get there at opening or go later in the day to hopefully avoid some of the crowds.

What are the crowds like in early-mid june on a weekday? I'll be heading their for a day or two before a cruise.

Most of the time crowds are very light, unless you happen to catch a day where there are a lot of school trips but they usually clear out by mid afternoon. I would expect little to no wait for all coasters except Kingda Ka, El Toro and Green Lantern (figuring it will have a long line the entire season unless the park is dead). If it is early June, the park closes at 6 though so be sure to get there early if you want to have enough time to ride all the coasters.

i just found out that the yellow track is for where the tunnels where going to be, however there will be no tunnels it will be more of a cover/roof. that means there will be no cool theme as it was all cut like every other six flags coaster.

el toro opened really late mid June the first train ever ran was sent on June 3 and the second train was on the transfer but not assembled yet. witch was the best day ever b/c i sent the train out!

New pictures posted!

It looks like most of the lift is done!

Pictures:

www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/footerNav/greenlanternconstruction.aspx

Im really confused...maybe someone here can help me out. In the 2nd picture, the lift is at the bottom of the screen and there are supports ABOVE it (if you were going up the lift, to the right). However, Chang turns to the left at the top of the lift and all of the track is on that side...what's going on here?

I read somewhere that they were constructing the larger supports without footers then later moving them onto the footers in the correct positions. I've never seen this before, but it looks interesting.

Whether this week is supposed to suck in the area.. I don't see why this has taken them so long to start. I figured they would be 90% done by now seeing that they started deconstruction in July and had the whole ride down by August. There was a really long pause there where nothing happened, WHY? (Sorry bad mood, Jets just lost -__-)

They started pouring concrete in october iron workers have to wait atleast 30 for the concrete to cure or until the concrete that has been removed by an inspector has been slump tested ( they take samples from every truck let them cure then break them measuring at how much psi they break at) they only got this ok on dec 31 that is only one of the reasons the other is it is a low budget job