TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Basically, if it's able to be counted twice on Coaster Counter, I count it twice. So sue me.

I fall into the other category. I took Cheetah Chase off my list because I rode it when it was Wild Maus at BGW.

To each his own. I count Rebel Yell and Rolling Thunder as 4 credits and there are some out there that would take issue with that.

Anyway, looking forward to riding Green Lantern. I haven't ridden any of the 3 "big" B&M stand-ups so this should be fun!

Personally, I think 5 B&Ms are too much, but this looks like a nice addition to SFGav! I

Are 4 B&M's and a Giovanola too much (and wasn't it 2 Giovanolas for awhile if we count Flashback?) Anyways, it feels odd to have been on Great American Scream Machine for the first time in May, and now it's not only gone but the pieces for its replacement are already being prepped. I only hope they do the same thing to Viper at SFMM, because GASM and Viper were the worst roller coasters I've been on.

Personally, I think 5 B&Ms are too much, but this looks like a nice addition to SFGav! I

Are 4 B&M's and a Giovanola too much (and wasn't it 2 Giovanolas for awhile if we count Flashback?) Anyways, it feels odd to have been on Great American Scream Machine for the first time in May, and now it's not only gone but the pieces for its replacement are already being prepped. I only hope they do the same thing to Viper at SFMM, because GASM and Viper were the worst roller coasters I've been on.

Viper is still awesome!

So I read over at screamscape that the tigers will not return (BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) AND to further cut costs, they are disbanding their on site Fire Brigade, now, I have to say the park is in a slightly remote area and they are reporting a potential 20 minute response time. I would imagine that the fire department is not utilized all that much for fires and most likely more on the medical side, however, the one time you REALLY need it, and it takes the local guys 20-25 minutes to reach said location, then management would be kicking themselves in the ass.

On September, 21, 2010, the management of Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township, N.J. announced it would be disbanding its fire department. IAFF Local I-73, the International Association of Firefighters and the Professional Firefighters of New Jersey believe that disbanding the fire department at Six Flags Great Adventure will diminish current levels of public safety service at the amusement park which receives 2,800,000 visitors annually, with a average daily attendance of 30,000 people.

Disbanding the fire department at Great Adventure will result in delayed responses to emergencies where people need help. It will take longer for outside fire and emergency units to respond to Great Adventure and arrive at emergencies. Fire and emergency units from outside should continue to support Great Adventure's own fire department, not replace it.

The International Association of Firefighters and the Professional Firefighters Association of New Jersey are working to support Local I-73 efforts to convey this important message to management.

Please call Angel Aristone at 732-928-2000 Ext. 2832. Tell management at Six Flags Great Adventure that disbanding their fire department is a mistake that will hurt public safety.

Further reports will follow as developments occur. Contact Local I-73 President Matthew Jordan at 732-703-2421 or IAFF First District Field Services Representative Keith Kemery at 609-820-2675 for further information."

Link

I'm not too sad about GASM's leaving. It was a good coaster, but far more rough than the other Arrows I've been on. Although I think another park should have gotten Chang, I'm glad that Six Flags saved it from Kentucky, and can't wait to ride it next time I go back there.

Getting rid of their fire brigade... well, that's not the best idea. Could save them some money in the short run... but when something bad happens, they lose much more.

^Depends how fluffy and in what areas. There's nothing there that is any more restrictive than similar rides elsewhere. That said, El Toro & the B&Ms are a given. Bizarro has the "big-boy seats" that were in high demand the day I was there.

I did see a girl have trouble with the lapbars on the Runaway Mine Train though. Those cars are a little cramped and have kinda bulky restraints. She had some thick legs.

I thought GASM was okay, I first rode it last September. It was really jerky, but definitely expected it. It stood out like a sore thumb though, being surrounded by those B&Ms and Intamins.

I'm not sure that Green Lantern will be a better ride....though it will be easier to maintain i'm sure. I've ridden Mantis and that's all I have to compare it to though. I'd say I liked Mantis and GASM about equal....Looks like now I've got some incentive to get back to Jackson to try it out! (As if riding El Toro again wasn't enough!)

I'm glad as of last Friday night it looked like the first layer of asphalt was removed for the area that will house the lift and first drop of Green Lantern. Friday night I think we had half of the green track for the coaster laying in the temporary staging lot.

If the park still had that 80's fire engine serving the park I approve the fire department being disbanded. Typical fire truck lifespan is now about 20 years, like GASM. A new fire truck is at least a half million.

Can anyone tell me what the crowds will be like this Friday night for FrightFest??? I hear Sunday's are hellish. And Saturdays the same. Does anyone have an idea??

Friday the park opens at 5:00PM but if you go earlier on Saturday and Sunday you can avoid the crowds at the beginning of the event but they fill in. FrightFest is always overcrowded so it's a lot of luck, but I would say go for Sunday because kids have school the next day so it lessens the crowds.

Good Luck, hope this helped.

The coasters but Skull Mountain were swamped Saturday night. I took that time for a walk on on log flume, Jolly Roger. Skull Mountain was 10 minutes. Then I went to a hypnotist show. I realize the season is really winding down when Fright Fest is coming around and the coaster queues overflow.

According to SFGAdv's facebook page, the Travel Channel will be filming Bert the Conqueror this Friday at the park. There is a contest to win a spot for the filming - go to the facebook page for Six Flags Great Adventure, then click on "discussions". You can read up on it under the "Travel Channel: Bert The Conquerer" thread/topic.