TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I do hope 'Chang' isn't going to look as ugly as I think it will. If it does get a re-paint from an unfavorable yellow to a more blue-ish color seen in the concept and grass and other greenery replace the ugly parking spots, then it might look a little better. I still don't like how it's basically IN the lot like Superman and Ka.

My vision of Chang is beautiful. The grass is really going to enhance the entire park atmosphere as well as the coaster. By using the old queue house (which will actually be put to use) the upper area of Boardwalk will attract more guests. It be cool if they added colored lights like Mantis or Intimidator305 and make the queue house some kind of abandoned warehouse if the Jersey Devil theme is used.

http://www.jacksonnjonline.com/2010/08/05/exclusive-first-look-at-six-flags-great-adventures-new-rollercoaster/

JTOWN today got a first glimpse of the new steel roller coaster that will be replacing the Great American Scream Machine at Jackson’s Six Flags Great Adventure. Documents on file show the new coaster’s footprint and a top down view of the coaster, currently set to open during the 2011 season. On documents submitted to the Township of Jackson, pre-dated for Saturday, July 7, 2010, Arnold Grodzinski, Manager of Construction and Facility at Six Flags were filed requesting administrative approval for a “new steel roller coaster in the Theme Park. The new coaster will replace the Great American Scream Machine and will be constructed on the same site.

The footprint of the new steel coaster will expand upon the currently designated footprint that had been allocated for the Great American Scream Machine, which officially shutdown last month and is in the process of being dismantled. The only portion of the old ride that will remain is the queueing entry station. Six Flags is requesting permission from the township to remove 205 parking spaces that currently exist on the northern side of the Superman roller coaster to make room for the new coaster’s extended incline and drop. Total parking capacity will drop from 9,266 spaces down to 9,061. Six Flags expressed their confidence in their new site plan and did not feel the loss of those spaces would compromise the parking capacity of the park.

The company also mentioned the 2005 approval of a hotel on the property which has yet to be built. Sources within Jackson Township, which shall remain unidentified speculated that the delay in the hotel was most likely the result of well water and septic services on the site and lack of city sewer and water facilities. The 2005 hotel plan called for the loss of a larger amount of parking spaces to accomodate the construction of the proposed hotel.

In a letter submitted this week to the Jackson Township Planning Board, Owen Little & Associates, an engineering firm from Beachwood representing Six Flags requested that the planning board hears and reviews the application at their earliest convenience. The company submitted a conceptual site plan of the coaster was a preliminary rendering. A more formal engineering site plan would be provided by the group at a later date once administrative approval is granted.

On Monday night, the plan was presented to the planning board. Township Planning Board President Todd Porter stated “We heard their administrative approval and it was approved by a vote of 9-0″ he added “for a new roller coaster to replace the Scream Machine, the theme and name of which is not known.”

The township planning board next meets on Monday, August 16th at 7:30 pm in the main meeting hall at the township administrative building.

I think I already watched the Chang POV a 100 times. I overlooked the turnaround and the inclined loop before but coming to my homepark SFGADV I think I will now completely love the ride.

If it does get blue track, the shade of blue used on B:TR at SFOG which is just like the blue on Great White at Sea World San Antonio is just awesome. Maybe the GASM front entry can keep its blue border then and lose the old GASM sign only.

I'll be there on Tuesday and i'll let you guys know what the place looks like now. I really hope they change Chang's color scheme, half the rides at SFGAd are bright yellow lol. Would be cool to have a hulking blue ride towering over the parking lot.

Batman and Nitro?

Batman and Nitro's track is yellow. From what I took from his comment was something more along the lines of Bizzaro with the actual track being blue instead of the supports. I too hope they choose a different color than yellow for the track. I was always fond of the new paint scheme on V2 at SFDK, or Air at AT. Those would like nice on Chang I think.

I'm hoping for the "return" of Shockwave and yes it would have those two points tied to it: the park used to have an Intamin one inversion standup Shockwave coaster with blue track, white supports where Dare Devil Dive and the simulator are and yes GASM was a slightly taller clone of the 7 inversion Arrow Shockwave at SFGAM. Is there still the original ride sign stored at the park?

Mini-TR:

Left at 7AM, got there around 1130. Crowds were not more or less than i've seen in the past but with Nitro being down for most of the day (although i did get a lucky ride around noon when they opened it for 10 minutes) and Kingda Ka being especially Kingda-Ka-ish for most of the day ("To all our guests standing in line, weeeeeeeeee're sorry but we're currently experience minor technical difficulties, we don't currently have a timeframe etc etc"), El Toro, Bizarro, and Batman all had humongous lines. By 7PM my friends and I had only ridden everything worth riding once and Kingda Ka and Toro twice, but after 7PM, Nitro reopned and people started clearing out of the park. We managed 3 night rides on Nitro (2 in pitch darkness), 3 more night rides on El Toro (AMAZING), and 1 night ride on Kingda Ka (which happened to be my first time in the very front). Does anyone know if they run El Toro's cable FASTER at night, because it sure as hell felt like it. Most intense thing I've ever ridden and I have the bruises to prove it.

Also, not sure if anyone's ridden El Toro within the past 3 weeks, but there was a major jolt on the ride every one of the five times that i rode today (3 in the very last row, 2 in the first row of the last car). The bump occurs at the bottom of the hill which comes after the turnaround and it feels like the track isn't smooth in 2-3 spots at the bottom of that hill. Perhaps i hadn't noticed it before but it was EXTREMELY noticeable this time, not sure if anyone else picked it up or if i'm just being stupid. Thought i was on Rolling Thunder...

Anyways, overall this was the best (out of 3) days that i've had at Great Adventure, even with Nitro being down, and getting stuck in Kingda Ka's station for an hour and a half. I'll post some pictures of the new GASM in a bit.

It be cool if they added colored lights like Mantis or Intimidator305 and make the queue house some kind of abandoned warehouse if the Jersey Devil theme is used.

Jersey Devil theme?????? Please! Six Flags pays enough money for the DC Comics rights, use them!

Also, not sure if anyone's ridden El Toro within the past 3 weeks, but there was a major jolt on the ride every one of the five times that i rode today (3 in the very last row, 2 in the first row of the last car). The bump occurs at the bottom of the hill which comes after the turnaround and it feels like the track isn't smooth in 2-3 spots at the bottom of that hill. Perhaps i hadn't noticed it before but it was EXTREMELY noticeable this time, not sure if anyone else picked it up or if i'm just being stupid. Thought i was on Rolling Thunder...

How full was the train? I've noticed this a little when the train is half full, but not nearly as bad as Rolling Thunder.

Edited by larrygator

Mini-TR:

Left at 7AM, got there around 1130. Crowds were not more or less than i've seen in the past but with Nitro being down for most of the day (although i did get a lucky ride around noon when they opened it for 10 minutes) and Kingda Ka being especially Kingda-Ka-ish for most of the day ("To all our guests standing in line, weeeeeeeeee're sorry but we're currently experience minor technical difficulties, we don't currently have a timeframe etc etc"), El Toro, Bizarro, and Batman all had humongous lines. By 7PM my friends and I had only ridden everything worth riding once and Kingda Ka and Toro twice, but after 7PM, Nitro reopned and people started clearing out of the park. We managed 3 night rides on Nitro (2 in pitch darkness), 3 more night rides on El Toro (AMAZING), and 1 night ride on Kingda Ka (which happened to be my first time in the very front). Does anyone know if they run El Toro's cable FASTER at night, because it sure as hell felt like it. Most intense thing I've ever ridden and I have the bruises to prove it.

Anyways, overall this was the best (out of 3) days that i've had at Great Adventure, even with Nitro being down, and getting stuck in Kingda Ka's station for an hour and a half. I'll post some pictures of the new GASM in a bit.

Happened to me before, usually towards the end of the day. And it was with a full train. It hurt quite a bit. Anyone else notice it?

Happened to me before, usually towards the end of the day. And it was with a full train. It hurt quite a bit. Anyone else notice it?

Yup the train was full (minus 1 or 2 seats), and I think it was getting worse through the day. Only reason i mentioned it was b/c i didn't notice it when i went in early July.

----

A picture of the new Arrow Dynamics Prototype: The "Track-Jumping" Coaster!!! (Judging from the picture you can definitely tell it was a billion degrees with about 250% humidity). I spent probably 25 bucks on water )

Nitro was doing THIS all day...

<3

StrataKirby - thanks for you TR!

Did you happen to notice the lines/wait times for any of the water rides/flat rides?

No problem . We didn't even considering riding anything water-related due to the temperature yesterday, but i remember walking past the log flume and making a comment on how long the line was. Twister had no riders on it (one of the ride ops at KK told me it had been down for a couple days, so maybe they were testing?). Other than that i didn't see anything out of the ordinary.