TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I am sad to see another Arrow roller coaster go. If Chang does come to replace GASM I think they should reincarnate it as Shockwave! being taller, faster, and much more intense than the original that operated from 1990-1992.

Viper's days are numbered, mark my words!

I don't think so Viper will stay for awhile I think. I cant see them talking it out.

--Jay

Much agreed, I give Viper 5 years and it will be closed, and that's being generous. Viper is already 20 years old!

I can see both sides with regards to Viper. It's pretty impressive with the height and the seven inversions; however, it lacks any of the gimmicks that make the other coasters at SFMM stand out more. And it doesn't really have historic charm to the extent that the older rides do. I wouldn't be surprised if it stays for a while, though.

Having not ridden GASM I would accept Chang as a reasonable replacement. At least it's another "major" coaster.

^Watch that happen & GADV get a X2 clone

If Great Adventure got an X2 clone (or any 4d for that matter) I would seriously crap my pants. That could be the greatest thing to ever happen to Great Adventure, up there with El Toro in my opinion.

I am ok with this as well as GASM was awfully painful to ride when I went last year. It was not enjoyable at all.

An X2 clone would be cool as I seriously doubt I will ever make it to the West Coast to ride it and thus having one on this coast would be great for me.

Greg

Six Flags Great Adventure's Facebook just confirmed that Great American Scream Machine will close on July 18th
•WHEN: 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m., July 18, 2010

•WHERE: Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great

Adventure.

•WHY: To make room for a new attraction in 2011, we’re

celebrating Scream Machine with the send off it deserves!

•Event Details:Guests invited to the event will receive ERT (exclusive

ride time) from 10 p.m.-11 p.m. Seats on the front and back row of the last train of the last ride (dispatched at 11 p.m.) will be auctioned off; other seats during the last ride will be $50 each—details TBA—and all proceeds will benefit the NRCMA (National Roller Coaster Museum & Archives)!

They're doing a contest for "Show us your scream face" and the winners will get ERT on GASM's last day.

And their status

Hey guys, Scream Machine will close July 18 to make room for a major new attraction in 2011. We'll offer double rides on GASM July 11 & 18. We'll host an ERT (Exclusive Ride Time) event on July 18, 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m. to invited guests; to be invited, see this contest>>http://ow.ly/27be9 [see more below]

I would LOVE to go. I don't own a car, but if someone is willing to give me a ride to and from I will help out with gas. Mike in Reston, VA

Six Flags Great Adventure's Facebook just confirmed that Great American Scream Machine will close on July 18th
•WHEN: 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m., July 18, 2010

•WHERE: Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great

Adventure.

•WHY: To make room for a new attraction in 2011, we’re

celebrating Scream Machine with the send off it deserves!

•Event Details:Guests invited to the event will receive ERT (exclusive

ride time) from 10 p.m.-11 p.m. Seats on the front and back row of the last train of the last ride (dispatched at 11 p.m.) will be auctioned off; other seats during the last ride will be $50 each—details TBA—and all proceeds will benefit the NRCMA (National Roller Coaster Museum & Archives)!

They're doing a contest for "Show us your scream face" and the winners will get ERT on GASM's last day.

And their status

Hey guys, Scream Machine will close July 18 to make room for a major new attraction in 2011. We'll offer double rides on GASM July 11 & 18. We'll host an ERT (Exclusive Ride Time) event on July 18, 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m. to invited guests; to be invited, see this contest>>http://ow.ly/27be9 [see more below]

I would LOVE to go. I don't own a car, but if someone is willing to give me a ride to and from I will help out with gas. Mike in Reston, VA

You're 42 and don't have a car?? Do you live in like a city or something? How do you survive?!?!

I can assure you that GASM is FAR cheaper to run than any 4D coaster ever would be.

If that *DOES* go down (and I highly doubt it or Chang will) can you see that in the rear view mirror? It's bankruptcy!

I will agree with others on the board here - flats wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it. (Can you hear me SFMM?!?)

I can't say that I'm really disappointed about it's removal, because it sucked according to many, but it is kinda sad that the 'Standard Layout' Arrow Megalooper will be gone for good

Viper....

Viper is a little different than GASM. Shockwave and GASM had the exact same layout, but even though Viper had the same inversions, the layout as a whole was different.

Event Details:Guests invited to the event will receive ERT (exclusive

$50 to get the feeling your head is inside a concrete mixer? I always liked the Arrow coasters for their weird lay-outs and moves (Not to actually ride them, just to laugh about). So it is kind of sad to see anotherone go down...

At least I am glad they're not building another coaster by simply putting on the parking lot. (I have to admit that the sand/dirt underneath GASM is not very inspiring either).

Thuur - Arrow -1 - Crompvoets

Honestly while I will be happy that Great Adventure will be getting a new coaster (apparently) this year, I think what this park needs most is fully themed areas with one or two coasters and flats. This is what I feel Six Flags could best spend their money on. The Golden Kingdom is very nice theming for a six flags park, but it has a major lack of rides. Plaza Del Carnival is missing flats but is also well done. If they revamped Rolling Thunder, re opened Tango and found a spot for one more flat, this would hands down be the best area of the park. The Frontier area needs a new giant teepee, a flat or two and a general spruce up and addition of more themeing. Movie town should be expanded into the Old Country and become a fully themed gotham city. Re-open the Batman Stunt Arena, open a new coaster and open the flats. Put the "5d" attraction in the old chiller station. Then take the kiddy rides next to Congo Rapids and move them near the treasure train and open a pirate themed kiddie area there. That would fill a very empty area (in terms of rides) and then the newly opened up land, Nitro, and congo rapids could be re-themed creating a new thrill type area that would flow and include two rides that really have no theme. Plus an intamin mega-lite could have it's station in that area and run on the land behind rides like skull mountain. There is a sliver of land back there that could be used very nicely (similar to goliath in Belgium). What do you think?

I was there a couple of weeks ago, and to be completely honest, I think Six Flags is making a smart move by getting rid of GASM. Don't get me wrong, I know its a classic coaster, but it's just lost it's edge. I noticed that Kingda Ka had a 40 min wait, Bizarro had a 45 min wait, and El Toro and Nitro had a 30 min wait. As for GASM, it had no wait. Seriously, when I walked to the station, I walked on to the front seat, and when I wanted to ride again, there was still nobody at the station (they were probably dispatched by the second train), so I asked if I can go again in the front, and they allowed it.

Long story short, its not the late 80s-early 90s anymore. People moved on, it's just not popular anymore. As much as I love the ride, it would be a good idea to knock it down and make room for better rides/coasters.

It will be weird to see SFGAdv's skyline minus GASM towering over the parking lot. It was a very impressive looking coaster. Also a bit sad to see another arrow coaster being brought down, their rides aren't the smoothest around but I always enjoy them and the classic feel they have. GASM was a bit of a headbanger but it was nice always being able to count on it having little to no line even when most of the other coasters had an hour+ waits.

"The Great American Scream Machine" literally saved Six Flags Great Adventure in the late 1980s. The beleaguered park faced several deaths in that period and was on the cusp of losing its food license. Had that happened, Six Flags was going to shut the park down. "Shockwave", originally scheduled for Great Adventure went to Gurnee, Ill. as a part of this. Credit Ray Williams and his brilliant stewardship for saving the park and returning a safe atmosphere to it. Ray faced many battles with Great Adventure, and managed to execute his plan quite well. He also got corporate to bring the Arrow Megalooper originally intended for his park back on the table. Albeit in a slightly modified clone. "The Great American Scream" drew flies to honey and put the place back on the map. Unfortunately Mr. Williams left as Time Warner took ownership, but not before securing Great Adventure a clone of a successful prototype; "Batman The Ride".

"The Great American Scream Machine" is like Raquel Welch. Some 21 years later, she's as gorgeous as ever. I enjoyed seeing her along the Great Adventure skyline, especially inside "The Golden Kingdom" and "Plaza de Carnivale". Sadly, up close she rode like the drunken, haggard looking Pamela Anderson of today. In 1989, ride ops would constantly check to make sure all earrings were removed. That ride boxed your head like Mike Tyson in his prime. It actually got a little better over time, but was completely unrideable in the back seat on my last 2008 visit. "The Great American Scream Machine" is easily my least favorite steel coaster in the park (I do *LOVE* it's first drop however). The B&Ms outclass the classic beauty, and don't leave me feeling like I've contracted something. It deserves a big sendoff, but in the end it should go. "Chang" will be welcomed certainly, but it seems superfluous in the New Jersey park. I think that area would be a better stage for expanding "The Golden Kingdom" with a "Jungala" modeled exhibit ala Busch Gardens Tampa. Lord knows, Great Adventure also needs flats more than another (albeit good) coaster.

I hope, in an effort to secure a permanent position for himself; Al Weber doesn't become a marriage of Mark Shapiro's and Kieran Burke's worst qualities. But I digress.

Chang doesn't look like it requires all of Gasm spot. Maybe a Golden Kingdom expansion IS in the park's future.

I'm sure they could use the parking lot if they had to. I wonder if they will start taking apart the ride immediately on the 19th or if they will wait a few days. Anyone have an idea when the park is announcing what is definitely replacing GASM?