TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'm sad to see GASM go since it was one of the first looping coasters that I've ridden. The ride experience itself never bothered me and I would ride it on almost every visit to the park. If Chang is replacing it, the same can't be said about that. Aside from the Parachutes, I'll now have no need to even visit the Boardwalk section of the park since I hate SUF and Chang.

So, while I think this is a horrible decision, kudos to the park for giving 2 weeks notice and a sendoff celebration for GASM!

I can't believe it's finally official I am so excited for this ride to leave. Even though great adventure has 13 coasters only six of them are really enjoyable rides. Rolling Thunder could be good if they took care of it. If they get a ride to replace scream machine and GCI revamps Rolling Thunder that would bring them up to eight which would help mightily with the lines. The lines on the good rides here are so long because there is very little between the big rides and The Dark Knight for people to ride and enjoy.

Based on how it ran most of the last decade I would surely let it go but the ride has run impressively the last two seasons. They got it together for GASM's 20th Anniversary last year and it has continued into this year. Most of my cycles I did not have to worry about headbanging at all. I will miss the consecutive corkscrews. No hangtime in those, only in the boomerang. It was a great point of view seeing the motions of the train through back to back corkscrews. For years GASM scared me. It looked so intimidating until I finally rode it in 1997?-98.

My ride on GASM a few years ago was one of the most painful riding experiences I've had.

I won't shed any tears it's going. And I'm not bothered that it won't be running when I visit the park in August, as I wouldn't have ridden it anyways.

•WHO: 25 winners will be chosen; winners may bring a guest.

•WHAT: Show us your biggest SCREAM face! Post a photo or video of you screaming as though you were on Great American Scream Machine at www.facebook.com/sixflagsgreatadventure. Guests that shoot a SCREAM video or include patriotic items are more likely to be chosen as winners. There is no limit to the amount of entries. Winners will be announced July 15, 2010. Be creative, have fun and keep it clean

•WHEN: 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m., July 18, 2010

•WHERE: Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great Adventure.

•WHY: To make room for a new attraction in 2011, we’re celebrating Scream Machine with the send off it deserves!

•Event Details:Guests invited to the event will receive ERT (exclusive ride time) from 10 p.m.-11 p.m. Seats on the front and back row of the last train of the last ride (dispatched at 11 p.m.) will be auctioned off; other seats during the last ride will be $50 each—details TBA—and all proceeds will benefit the NRCMA (National Roller Coaster Museum & Archives)!!

Has anyone ever ridden Gasm in the front seat? It's a different ride all together. 68 mph of wind slamming your face and the loops were INTENSE. Chang can't do that.

And it was the smoothest in the front seat, or at least I thought it was. I made sure to ride twice in the front seat last week one of those rides being what I thought was my final ride (and still might be if I can't get to the park again before the 18th)

I'm so glad!

The rides visible from the parking lot have the important job of representing the park to all outside patrons; and it's been too long that we've had this painful ride representing our park. People see it from their car, think it looks cool, get on it, and then, die. They'll see Chang, think it's cool, get on it, and, like it and be amazed by the fact they are standing up.

This all depends, of course, on whether or not we get Chang. Which we will.

Is there any coincidence between this removal and Shockwave's other than the parks needed to make room for a shiny B&M? Are they high maintenance coasters?

B&M's are more reliable.

^, I would love to see Chang there, but I would also like to see Chang go to Six Flags Great America and for Great Adventure to get something entirely new.

Is there any coincidence between this removal and Shockwave's other than the parks needed to make room for a shiny B&M? Are they high maintenance coasters?

B&M's are more reliable.

I am in no way defending Scream Machine as I think it is a piece of crap, however, I'm going to guess that I have been to the park roughly 50 times over the past 10 or so years and Scream Machine has not been down one day out of those visits. With that said, I don't tout myself as an expert in terms of engineering, but I have to think there are some underlying issues with the ride that don't necessarily create extended downtime, or it is just a big hit to the bottomline to keep up and going all the time. So, I wound't really say that B&M's are more reliable in the grand scheme of things, but perhaps they are more cost effective.

As we all know when rides get old, they need more money put into them to keep them running. Many parts have to be custom made. Some parts have limited life spans and must be changed even when they are working fine. Some parks would rather remove higher cost rides to make way for something new. Fixing up an old ride doesn't bring people through the gates of a park like a new ride does so you can see where money is generally spent.

Take a look at the Suspended Coasters that many parks have removed. Magic Mountain kept Ninja, however they put in a brand new PLC, brake controls, lift 1 chain and gears. Also Ninja has had quite a bit of added supports and welding done to the track and supports over the years. These are major expenses many parks have opted not to take on.

In the case of B&M Vs. Arrow: Well Arrow had some very innovative designs and rides and were cutting edge in their time. B&M came along later and was able to benefit off of the history of previous rides and how they operate and age. Not to mention programs such as AutoCad and Solid Works came along and took designs on a computer to a whole new level.

I don't think there's a coincidence yet, because it's only a rumor that this park is getting Chang. I'm not sure if it's really that high maintenance of a coaster, but it is beginning to age.

I can't say that I'm really disappointed about it's removal, because it sucked according to many, but it is kinda sad that the 'Standard Layout' Arrow Megalooper will be gone for good, and that I can't say that I got the credit on it.

Even so, whatever kind of expansion that comes from it will be great, and I'm sure it'll make SFGAd a better park!