TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

They need to get the SBNO flats open, I can only imagine how bad crowds are going to be this summer with less rides open this year compared to at least the past 10 or 11 years.

Now if GRADV is having problems staffing their rides,be it flats or coasters then WHY on earth has SFI been making such foolish mistakes as installing more rides in a park that can't even staff the current rides they have?

Edit: It's already been confirmed that Chang is going to SFGRAM as they've already gotten the permits for it according to the SFGRAM thread so I don't have a clue where this crap got started of it going to SFGRADV..

When Armageddon strikes, the land is in ruin, and Trogdor has successfully burninated the countryside, the only thing remaining will be Magnum.

Thank you for the signature kind sir. You have made my day!

When Armageddon strikes, the land is in ruin, and Trogdor has successfully burninated the countryside, the only thing remaining will be Magnum.

Thank you for the signature kind sir. You have made my day!

But when he burninates through the countryside, won't that erode the land deep beneath magnum, furthermore causing it took sink?

I personally feel Chang is a better fit at SFGADV,

As for GASM, it will be sad to see the old lady go. she may be rough, but that ridiculously slow hangtime in the boomerang element is something you just don't get anymore on many coasters

Screamscape June 21st

A new rumor has come up over the weekend that may anger more than a few fans of Six Flags Great Adventure. If there is any truth to it, the new management calling the shots may be considering removing the park’s infamous Great American Scream Machine coaster. While at first the move seems shocking… keep in mind that GASM’s sister ride, Shockwave at the Chicago park, also met with a similar fate a few years ago. Of course it’s also well know that Shockwave, the first of the three Arrow made Six Flags Megaloopers (Viper at SF Magic Mountain was the final one) did suffer from a fair share of problems that the other two did not.

So the next question would obviously be to ask what reason there would be to remove such an iconic ride? According to the discussion going on at CoasterFusion, plans have been spotted at the park that now place CHANG… the B&M Stand-Up Coaster from Kentucky Kingdom, as possibly going into GASM’s spot. Up until now Chang has been all but confirmed for Six Flags Great America near Chicago… with a few pieces and the trains already spotted on site. Meetings have been taking place with the local government as well to get a height variance permit to build the ride there as well, with the final approval meeting expected to take place on Monday, June 21st.

While I haven’t seen it myself, I’ve heard a rumor that the Six Flags issue may have been unexpectedly removed from the agenda for tonight’s meeting, which only adds fuel to the fire that Chang could now be looking for a new home. Of course the online version of the agenda still shows it there, waiting to be finalized tonight. I had been told that as soon as Al Weber took control of Six Flags, he began to made huge and immediate changes to the plans set in place for the 2011 season by Shaprio. I guess we’ll know more once the Monday meeting is over if the proposal to add Chang has been dropped or not. Stay tuned!

Quote:

June 22nd

Screamscape sources tell us that the rumors from this past weekend are true and that not only is GASM set to end it’s life at Six Flags Great Adventure on July 1st, but Chang will indeed be coming to the park to take up it’s place in 2011. As for that mystery 5D project... it’s dead for now.

CoasterPrince wrote:

With Gasm and Big Bad Wolf on the chopping block...one can only wonder what will happen to Magnum in the next 5 years.

I just want to quote this for anyone that didn't get a good laugh today.

Sorry I thought Arrow and Morgan were the same company for a second. Either way there was no need to be an ass.

...and there are is 700+ employees in the rides department at Gadv; More than enough to staff any new rides we get.

CoasterPrince wrote:

With Gasm and Big Bad Wolf on the chopping block...one can only wonder what will happen to Magnum in the next 5 years.

Sorry I thought Arrow and Morgan were the same company for a second. Either way there was no need to be an A$$.

...and there are is 700+ employees in the rides department at Gadv; More than enough to staff any new rides we get.

Magnum isn't even a Morgan coaster...

Although the ride would be a better fit for a redevelopment of the closed Old Country area (wasn't there rumored to be a B&M dive machine going there a while ago?), replacing GASM with it isn't so bad. The ride was not terrible, but definitely nothing special. When I rode it two years ago it was like SFMM's Viper on a bad day, and even then it was better than I was expecting considering how terrible I heard so many people say it is. At least now we can end the conversion to floorless trains debate since the park already has Bizarro, unless Six Flags wants to catch all us enthusiasts off guard by installing two floorless coasters in one park. I would honestly not be surprised if they did do that though.

What a completely practical and sensible thing to do... adding a large stand-up ride to a big-market park that does not currently have a stand-up ride.

Now if only they could have prevented the inverted ride with five inversions from being installed in the Canadian park that already had a better and newer inverted ride with five inversions.

I'm sorry, but there is no way Great Adventure deserves this ride... I mean yes Chang would fit in with some of the great coasters there and they don't have a stand up yet, but lately this park has been negleting everything else in this park besides coaters! They need to work on getting some good flats in place or at least maintaining the ones that they have. The park has so much potential to be Great and I really want it to, but Chang is not the answer.

As a Great America "Fanboy" im not just saying this because "gosh dang it u done stole our new kool coaster ride". No, I'm am perfectly fine with SF management giving the idea of the ride going to Chicago a second thought. But when they decide to move it elsewhere, why not give it to St. Louis, or another park that needs a big new ride again.

Also, I'm confused.. where is this "official" news of all of this happening coming from? or is this still speculatuion? I feel like I missed something..

I'm sorry, but there is no way Great Adventure deserves this ride.

Because SFGAdv takes in more money than any other seasonal park.

Ok, this is specualtion on my part based on the higher price of a season pass, the park always being crowded during the regular season and the fact that SFGAdv serves two of the Top 10 markets in the US. Over 10% of the US population lives within 2 hours of SFGAdv. So SFGAdv deserves 10% of all the chain's coasters.

Sure I'd rather see flats, but at least cash strapped management is not buying a new coaster for SFGAdv.

Edited by larrygator

I agree whole-heartedly that the park needs flats more than anything else. To me, Great Adventure just is not a well-rounded park as it is currently. It's a coaster park, sure, but for a company that claims to be trying to gear itself more towards families, the lack of flats here is a glaring eyesore. They should take a cue from their sister park in Illinois, which is currently the best Six Flags park I have visited. Their mix of rides was fantastic.

As for GASM, based on the ride I had during my one visit to the park, I say good riddance! That thing was a pile of rough garbage that beat the snot out of me! Not fun at all. It will be interesting to see how things play out, especially after Chang seemed all but confirmed at SF Great America. I will admit though that bringing it here makes more sense, since Great Adventure doesn't currently have a stand-up.

CoasterPrince wrote:

Sorry I thought Arrow and Morgan were the same company for a second. Either way there was no need to be an A$$.

Magnum was built by Arrow, not Morgan. And adding Chang isn't adding more staff spots, since they're getting rid of GASM. At most, it will add one staff member to assign seats.

And to whoever said that this is a wrong decision because GADV needs flats, we're getting six flats as well. What's smart about this move is that all the money saved from not getting a new coaster can be used to buy some good flats, possibly theme them, and make general improvements around the park.

Assuming Chang opens up to the Boardwalk, hopefully along with it comes a revitalization of the area with better "Boardwalk" theme elements, new pavement, etc. The Boardwalk has a potential to be a great themed area, it just needs more theme elements. Six Flags was spot on with all the colorful game booths, Nathan's Hot Dogs, and Ted's Cheesesteaks, we just need more Boardwalk-y stuff.

Who makes you in charge of what Gadv deserves and doesn't deserve? Rumors are flying around left and right...how do you know that Gadv is NOT getting flat rides for next year?? Why don't we all wait for the official announcement? Getting upset of rumors is supid haha

Edit: I just read the guy's post above me. You all are being so naive. You have no idea how many flats Gadv is getting next year. People hear a rumor on the internet...ON THE INTERNET....and believe it to the "T." You say Gadv is getting 6 flats like its written in stone, provide some sources if you post stuff like that

As much as I would love to be in charge of that, I'm not. You are correct. lol But I totally agree, this is being talked about as if its the 100% truth and I don't understand why. (welcome to the coaster community I guess) But before we begin talking like this we should just wait for an announcement.

Who makes you in charge of what Gadv deserves and doesn't deserve? Rumors are flying around left and right...how do you know that Gadv is NOT getting flat rides for next year?? Why don't we all wait for the official announcement? Getting upset of rumors is supid haha

Edit: I just read the guy's post above me. You all are being so naive. You have no idea how many flats Gadv is getting next year. People hear a rumor on the internet...ON THE INTERNET....and believe it to the "T." You say Gadv is getting 6 flats like its written in stone, provide some sources if you post stuff like that

Sorry, but six flats is what Shapiro planned for GADV, according to CoasterFusion. This may be right or wrong, but I was trusting CoasterFusion in the post above. Obviously Weber could have changed this, but if he's really looking at what each park needs, he'll realize we need flats. Thanks for calling us naive, though.