TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Gam leaving is really sad because it was giving some seriously intense rides this season that were actually enjoyable. No B&M can replace the intensity of the front row going into the first loop or the bonzai turn. However with Gasm gone Gadv now has some of the smoothest coaster in the industry assuming Chang is smooth.

With Gasm and Big Bad Wolf on the chopping block...one can only wonder what will happen to Magnum in the next 5 years.

Scream Machine was my first looping coaster (what a horrible experience that was ^_^), and I'd be very sad to see it go. I have a thing for Arrow loopers since I'm tall enough that head-banging doesn't happen, and love the ride now, for the final corkscrew if nothing else. That being said, I can never get friends to ride this more than once and that is a nice chunk of land. I can accept the fact that it's leaving, I would like one last ride on it, which won't happen if it closes midseason.

From an operational standpoint, I don't know what Six Flags is thinking by closing it midseason. The ride doesn't get lines some days, but on crowded days it can get a queue back to the switchbacks and has the throughput to be able to meet high demand. It won't look good having a huge coaster highly visible from the parking lot just sitting there, especially if Superman is still down. Finally, I know its had the hairspray ad for a year now, and doesn't it have a trainwrap now? I'm sure the advertiser wouldn't like the ride shutting down, and there really isn't another good ride to advertise on, unless they start doubling up.

Didn't Scream Machine just get refurbished with new harnesses and wheels over the off-season? From my experiences on the ride so far, I think it really improved this year. Why would SF want to remove a ride that got much better? Plus, i'm almost certain removing the ride would cost more than to run it for the rest of the year, and I don't think SF wants to lose even more money.

If the rumours are true and Chang were to come to Gadv, i'd rather see it go in the Old Country/Stuntman's Freefall area. I think GASM is still one of the signature coasters at the park and it would be sad to see it go.

If anything I could see Chang lift being paralell with Superman Ultimate Flight. There is a space of parking lot right next to Superman that is hardly ever used. They would tear that up and push it into the parking lot. That would give the extra room for Chang...

Hopefully they put grass there and not parking lot!

What's with shutting down coasters in the middle of the season? Major bummer because I wanted to ride i for the first time mid July.

I have a feeling (and hope) that they're closing down the ride this early to disassemble it and plant grass. GASM was the only remaining asphalt coaster in our park, so it'll be good to just have grassy coasters. I hesitate to say "parking lot", because GASM was actually on decorative stone made to look like an American flag from the sky (which no one but giants could see, not even Skyway riders). Unlike Scream and Medusa (Discovery Kingdom), you could never see the parking spaces underneath the coaster.

GASM is garbage and I'm happy to see it go.

I agree. Usually, I'm a softie to see old classics go (BBW is but one example)...but this ride was brutal this year (we were the only one's riding it and now I know why) and it wasn't really what I would call "fun" when we rode it last year either.

I would have no problem with them removing both GASM and Rolling Thunder for something better.

GASM is garbage and I'm happy to see it go.

I agree. Usually, I'm a softie to see old classics go (BBW is but one example)...but this ride was brutal this year (we were the only one's riding it and now I know why) and it wasn't really what I would call "fun" when we rode it last year either.

I would have no problem with them removing both GASM and Rolling Thunder for something better.

Thou speakest of removing Rolling Thunder?? That's the one problem at GADV I'd have a problem with them removing. Now THAT'S truly a classic, and there's no headbanging. The front seat on this baby has been great this year, with no side-to-side movement at all. GASM I'd understand, but getting rid of Rolling Thunder would make even more people mad.

^amen brother.

Rolling Thunder is really the only thrilling family attraction Gadv has right now, and it still gives a fairly decent ride. If there's one ride i'd like to make rid of though, it would either be The Dark Knight coaster or Batman. TDK can probably be salvaged and run as a regular outdoor mouse, but i'm starting to lose interest in Batman now. I bet if Chang was to be placed in the area where Batman and the Arena sit, it would be a near perfect fit.

But losing Batman would set SF back alot...

Thou speakest of removing Rolling Thunder?? That's the one problem at GADV I'd have a problem with them removing. Now THAT'S truly a classic, and there's no headbanging. The front seat on this baby has been great this year, with no side-to-side movement at all. GASM I'd understand, but getting rid of Rolling Thunder would make even more people mad.

Sorry if the front row is the only tolerable seat, the ride has to go.

I can't decided which is worse, Rolling Thunder or GASM.

I think GASM has run well the last two seasons. It gave a good ride last year for its 20th anniversary. I don't think I had to deal with headbanging these 2 seasons. Its corkscrews are amongst my favorites. The train runs pretty smoothly through there. It's a given in the batwing there was hangtime, which I wasn't crazy about. Five years I would have said I had real issues with the ride. I just noticed how the 2003-4 paint job already was starting to fade. I didn't want to think it could be its last.

The front of half of the train never seemed that rough to me, I made the mistake of trying the last row and that was horrible. It was a totally different ride with my head slamming into the back of the seat. I will only ride in the first 3 cars now.

As for Rolling Thunder, my last trip I rode in a non wheel seat it was fine but the trip before that I was in the last row of a car and it was brutal. I wouldn't care about losing Rolling Thunder if we got a GCI or Gravity Group coaster as a replacement.

Come on, Scream Machine isn't NEARLY as rough as Rolling Thunder. RT is like riding down a cobblestone road on a skateboard! lol

I'm bummed that GASM is coming down myself, I always thought it was the most intense coaster at the park. The front row had some ridiculous Gs while going through the loops! You kind of had to ride it correctly though, leaning into turns and holding the upper part of the harness to stabilize yourself more.